PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to keep MAG's (really)

tromcoe
07-01-2004, 09:42 PM
With Maglio sure to come back soon, and with the way that we have been playing without him, is it possible that if we really catch fire with him in the lineup and can somehow make it to a divisional championship, that he may take a lower salary to stay on a winning team? Or is money going to be the root of all evil? I know that this is a bunch of what if's, but with Garcia possibly coming back and a solid foundation wouldn't you wan't to be a part of a winning team?

South Side
07-01-2004, 10:13 PM
With Maglio sure to come back soon, and with the way that we have been playing without him, is it possible that if we really catch fire with him in the lineup and can somehow make it to a divisional championship, that he may take a lower salary to stay on a winning team? Or is money going to be the root of all evil? I know that this is a bunch of what if's, but with Garcia possibly coming back and a solid foundation wouldn't you wan't to be a part of a winning team?
Does Magglio Ordonez still play baseball? :o:

fuzzy_patters
07-01-2004, 10:22 PM
With Maglio sure to come back soon, and with the way that we have been playing without him, is it possible that if we really catch fire with him in the lineup and can somehow make it to a divisional championship, that he may take a lower salary to stay on a winning team? Or is money going to be the root of all evil? I know that this is a bunch of what if's, but with Garcia possibly coming back and a solid foundation wouldn't you wan't to be a part of a winning team?His name has two "G"s in it. It's a funny story, actually. His father, Maglio, gave Magglio two "G"s in his name because the second "G" is for good luck.

tromcoe
07-01-2004, 10:35 PM
His name has two "G"s in it. It's a funny story, actually. His father, Maglio, gave Magglio two "G"s in his name because the second "G" is for good luck.
When I proofread this I thought 'something doesn't look right! Thanks for the pointer. 'Doh'

:redneck :o:

fquaye149
07-01-2004, 10:39 PM
What will it take to keep MAG's (really)
Store in a cool dry place. Try to keep them out of direct sunlight. And for best results, make sure you only buy MAG's with acid-free paper

doublem23
07-01-2004, 10:42 PM
The Sox, from what I can tell, have made every attempt to keep Maggs. Maybe he just doesn't want to come back here. Granted, I don't sit in on the contract negotitations so I don't know what the offers have really been, but it seems like the Sox have been very proactive in trying to make Maggs happy. The last report I heard from ESPN-1000 said that both sides are still negotiating.

Kadafi311
07-01-2004, 10:42 PM
And how exactly do you propose Maggs pays his mortgage on a 12 million per year salary?

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2004, 12:50 AM
What will it take to keep MAG's (really)
What will it take to keep MAG's what?

doublem23
07-02-2004, 12:52 AM
What will it take to keep MAG's what?:rolleyes:

Earning that title, eh, Nellie? :)

This is the kind of conversation we missed around here.

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2004, 12:59 AM
:rolleyes:

Earning that title, eh, Nellie? :)

This is the kind of conversation we missed around here.I've tried so very hard since I've been back. I thought I'd sneak in a small, subtle one.

fuzzy_patters
07-02-2004, 01:02 AM
What will it take to keep MAG's what?
What will it take to keep his "(really)." Weren't you paying attention?

SSN721
07-02-2004, 06:53 AM
And how exactly do you propose Maggs pays his mortgage on a 12 million per year salary?

You have no idea how dissapointing it is to look at his check on the first and fifteenth of the month. Hes become accustomed to living a certain lifestyle, you cant expect him to live on just 11-12 mil a year. :rolleyes:

joeynach
07-02-2004, 08:56 AM
The Sox, from what I can tell, have made every attempt to keep Maggs. Maybe he just doesn't want to come back here. Granted, I don't sit in on the contract negotitations so I don't know what the offers have really been, but it seems like the Sox have been very proactive in trying to make Maggs happy. The last report I heard from ESPN-1000 said that both sides are still negotiating.
The sox have made every low ball offer they could have. They need to get serious, NOW! They need to end all the rumors, what ifs, and questions. The only offer reported by Maggs was 4 years 58 mil in April. Another report came from some people inside the organazation was 6 years 68 mil. Maggs asked for 5 years they gave him 4 at 14.5 mil. He said no. They offered 6 years at 11.3 mil per. Uhh he said no. They need to offer a straight up 5 year deal between 65 and 70 mil. That should get the job done. No deffered money without interest crap, no clauses, no BS. Just sign your franchise guy. The risk is minimal, you know what your getting. Apparently Maggs was stung with the possible trade for Nomar last winter. Guess what Maggs, the only reason that happened is becuase you told the organazation you didn't want there contract extension last summer and that you wanted to pursue free agency. What did he expect he brought it on himself, its part of the game. Deal with it. We want you here and you want to be here. Get the deal done 5 year 13 to 14 mil per. DONE!!

bennyw41
07-02-2004, 09:10 AM
His name has two "G"s in it. It's a funny story, actually. His father, Maglio, gave Magglio two "G"s in his name because the second "G" is for good luck.
That makes no sense. I'm pretty sure his dad was a spanish speaking person as well as Magglio.

Flight #24
07-02-2004, 09:39 AM
The sox have made every low ball offer they could have. They need to get serious, NOW! They need to end all the rumors, what ifs, and questions. The only offer reported by Maggs was 4 years 58 mil in April. Another report came from some people inside the organazation was 6 years 68 mil. Maggs asked for 5 years they gave him 4 at 14.5 mil. He said no. They offered 6 years at 11.3 mil per. Uhh he said no. They need to offer a straight up 5 year deal between 65 and 70 mil. That should get the job done. No deffered money without interest crap, no clauses, no BS. Just sign your franchise guy. The risk is minimal, you know what your getting. Apparently Maggs was stung with the possible trade for Nomar last winter. Guess what Maggs, the only reason that happened is becuase you told the organazation you didn't want there contract extension last summer and that you wanted to pursue free agency. What did he expect he brought it on himself, its part of the game. Deal with it. We want you here and you want to be here. Get the deal done 5 year 13 to 14 mil per. DONE!!
If they did offer a 4-yr 14.5mil/yr deal, then I think it'll get done unless Maggs wants to break the bank. That's my fear - IIRC, one of the Chicago writerss ometime in the last week had him wanting 15mil/yr. That would be scary.

Well, that and the Trib article talking about how Maggs would love to go to the Chubs and stick it to the Sox if they can't resign him. I REALLY can't see that happening, but it's scary.

joeynach
07-02-2004, 11:06 AM
If they did offer a 4-yr 14.5mil/yr deal, then I think it'll get done unless Maggs wants to break the bank. That's my fear - IIRC, one of the Chicago writerss ometime in the last week had him wanting 15mil/yr. That would be scary.

Well, that and the Trib article talking about how Maggs would love to go to the Chubs and stick it to the Sox if they can't resign him. I REALLY can't see that happening, but it's scary.
If he is saying he want 14 to 15 mil and we offered 14.5 mil he is a fool not to take it. The point is he wants more than 4 years. We haven't offered 5 years yet. Like i said before i was told there was an offer of 6 years and 68 mil. I think its a low ball offer, im sure he can get more somewhere else. The 4 year deal was better than that, but for Gods sake offer him 5 years 13-14 mil per and its all over.

Tragg
07-02-2004, 11:15 AM
When I see reports that seem credible that KW is seriously entertaining Maggs for Jones (as the core of a trade).

When it has been pretty much verified that the Sox were going to trade Maggs for Nomar (a completely pointless trade)

That tells me that Maggs isn't going to happen. For whatever reason (he wants to leave here- we dont' want him here) my guess is that he leaves.

Whether we should trade him now or use him this year and take the draft choices I don't know.

Flight #24
07-02-2004, 11:22 AM
For whatever reason (he wants to leave here- we dont' want him here) my guess is that he leaves.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the Sox wouldn't want to resign him. He's obviously an offensive cornerstone, and with revenues increasing and their history of that translating into payroll, it doesn't pass the "smell test".

The only thing that I'm really worried about is that Maggs wants to try and break the bank. Anyone know the history of his agent? Is he a Bora$$ wannabe? If Maggs really wants $15mil/yr, then he's out of his mind and whoever pays it is overpaying by a lot. I think 14mil is a overpaying, but I'm willing to go there due to his history with the franchise.

fuzzy_patters
07-02-2004, 11:50 AM
That makes no sense. I'm pretty sure his dad was a spanish speaking person as well as Magglio.
It was in an article last year. Maybe his Dad thinks it is good luck to have double letters in your name.

South Side
07-02-2004, 07:56 PM
It was in an article last year. Maybe his Dad thinks it is good luck to have double letters in your name.

Come on, everyone knows it's lucky to have 2 g's in your name! Am I the only one who finds it creepy that he named his kids Magglio Jr. (not that one so much) and Maggliana... His wife's name is Dagly (g again). Those crazy Venezuelans.

Joosh
07-03-2004, 12:48 AM
First off, This is my first post, and I wanted to introduce myself quick. My names Josh, long time Sox fan, the whole deal.

Second, I think talks of trading him or resigning him is a little premature, since he hasn't played in over a month now. I think if Williams is smart, he'll give Maggs a chance to prove himself before any serious resigning offers or trade talks begin.

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2004, 01:13 AM
I think 14mil is a overpaying, but I'm willing to go there due to his history with the franchise.You're willing to go there? That's awfully big of you. And what do you then pay Frank, due to his history with the franchise? And where does it end?

doublem23
07-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Well, unless you have been sitting on the meetings, I don't think you're in any more authoritative a position to tell me what kind of lowball offers the Sox have been making than what kind of good deals I think they may have made. All I have in my corner are articles written by "credible" (I throw that word around loosely, I know) sources that say that Maggs has not been willing to bend from that Vladimir Guerrero money he wants. Of course, all these I take with a grain of salt, but the fact remains that argument is moot, since none of us really know what goes on when the doors close in the offices at the Cell.

Secondly, running a baseball team wisely does not include throwing around millions of dollars just because someone wants it. Maggs does not deserve $15 million/year or whatever autrocious figure he is fixated on. The market will be very barren if he tests F/A asking for that kind of a paycheck. The Sox are in the business of winning and making a profit. I know we like to think differently, but it is a business and part of being a business is investing money wisely. Giving Maggs what he has claimed to want is not smart, no matter what everyone thinks.

A consistent winner will put 10x the butts in the seats that Magglio Ordonez will.

Flight #24
07-03-2004, 08:07 AM
You're willing to go there? That's awfully big of you. And what do you then pay Frank, due to his history with the franchise? And where does it end?
I pay Frank what's in his contract - 8, then 10mil. As for Maggs, I'd say 13mil is the "right" # based on performance. I'm willing to add 5mil to the life of the deal (5yrs) because I dont think that kills the franchise and because I think the PR benefit would outweigh that.

But I dont think the ancillary benefits are more than wroth the $5mil/5yrs

Lip Man 1
07-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Kenny Williams quoted in the Chicago newspapers today:

"We put something (together for) him that's not too far away from what he originally wanted," Williams said. "Yes, we do have a little bit of deferred compensation tied to it. It's the time to create a little bit of flexibility for us to put together a solid ballclub.

"Yes, the fifth year, I guess, is at issue, but only in the sense that we want to make sure we have some sort of protection in the event that he's not healthy in that fifth year. Certainly not taking away any of the total overall dollars from him.
"I think the framework is there for the deal to be consummated. But only time will tell, and only he'll be able to give us that indication."

I don't know how this will shake out.

Lip

Tragg
07-03-2004, 10:57 PM
I have to say that I agree with Kenny-I'd be real leery of 5 year deals.

NorthSideDroolz
07-04-2004, 02:27 AM
It's MAGS...get rid of the apostrophe!!!!

OEO Magglio
07-04-2004, 02:36 AM
Well, unless you have been sitting on the meetings, I don't think you're in any more authoritative a position to tell me what kind of lowball offers the Sox have been making than what kind of good deals I think they may have made. All I have in my corner are articles written by "credible" (I throw that word around loosely, I know) sources that say that Maggs has not been willing to bend from that Vladimir Guerrero money he wants. Of course, all these I take with a grain of salt, but the fact remains that argument is moot, since none of us really know what goes on when the doors close in the offices at the Cell.

Secondly, running a baseball team wisely does not include throwing around millions of dollars just because someone wants it. Maggs does not deserve $15 million/year or whatever autrocious figure he is fixated on. The market will be very barren if he tests F/A asking for that kind of a paycheck. The Sox are in the business of winning and making a profit. I know we like to think differently, but it is a business and part of being a business is investing money wisely. Giving Maggs what he has claimed to want is not smart, no matter what everyone thinks.

A consistent winner will put 10x the butts in the seats that Magglio Ordonez will.I agree 100 percent with everything you said. Personally I'd love to sure up this pitching staff for years to come before signing maggs no matter the sox still have a good offensive ball club next year. I'd like to see freddy get signed right away, with esteban there has to be a little waiting period to see if he can get back on track and if he gets back lock him up also. I don't want maggs to go anywhere but he's not a 14 million dollar a year player, I'd rather go out and try getting carl pavano and put jb in right field for next year. The point is maggs isn't worth what he's asking for, I'd rather spend that money on pitching, pitching and more pitching. I really do want magglio back next year but not for that much money on this budget.