PDA

View Full Version : Sox Player on the Appy League Top 20 prospects

Randar68
09-25-2001, 12:52 PM
From BA's latest installment chronicalling the top 20 players in each of the minor leagues...today, it is advanced rookie ball. I am disappointed neither Bittner nor Bullard made the list, as well as Wyatt Allen, but not too surprised...the position players in Bristol had a tough season...

6 KRIS HONEL, rhp
Bristol Sox (White Sox)
The White Sox made Honel the 16th overall pick in June, taking the local product from Providence Catholic High School in New Lenox, Ill. The righthander wasted little time living up to expectations, and showed no lingering effects from a wrist injury that limited his velocity during the spring.

Managers were most impressed with the 6-foot-5 Honel's smooth mechanics and the easy manner in which he released the ball. His fastball was consistently in the low 90s, touching 94 mph on several occasions. He also sported a heavy knuckle-curve that proved difficult for hitters to hit with authority, and he also showed an average changeup.

"He's going to pitch in the big leagues," Maloney said. "He knows how to pitch. He changes speeds and moves the ball around. He's got a live arm."

Joel Perez
09-25-2001, 01:04 PM
Randar, how did Allen do this year IYO?

Randar68
09-25-2001, 01:18 PM
Well, first of all, I am a moron. Bullard, Bittner, and Allen all finished the season in low A Kannapolis. (Allen was there all season)

However, Allen, by the numbers was OK, but he has a 94-95 mph fastball and an outstanding slider. He often threw over 130-140 pitches in college, and in the college WS, he threw around 155!!!! He was their workhorse. He had a ton of control problems that came from using anywhere from 2-4 arm angles during a game. The Sox want him to come from a consistent arm angle and work on developing his curve and change. He's powerfully built and if they can keep his velocity and movement despite using only 1 arm angle, he has a great chance.

IMO, after a long college year for him, and the 12 starts and 62 IP, I think he was significantly fatigued by year's end. I hope he starts next year at Winston-Salem.

As for Appalacian League Sox, Nik Lubisich, Craig Szado, Bittner, and Bullard all had very good numbers, but Lubisich, Bittner and Bullard were all very advanced, as far as college experience, for the Appy League. Bullard had 1 BB and 31 K's. However, I think their advanced experience and limited # of starts kept them from the list.