PDA

View Full Version : 1 Week Ago

gobears1987
07-01-2004, 03:50 PM
It was 7 days ago. Last Friday. Our Sox lost to the Flubs. We were 3 back and slumping. It appeared that our season was just about over. Diaz with an 11+ ERA was going against an 8-2 Zambrano with a good ERA

Then came Saturday, we win and make it 2 games back. (Shingo saves and mullet strikes out) 6-3 score. Diaz did the impossible and beat Zambrano (who was really pissed off and agrivated by Paulie and Joe)

Sunday was the same story. We won. It appeared that we were inspired by Felix Diaz's amazing feat. Loaiza did well and Maddux was rocked. 9-4 win.

Sunday was big for another reason, Olivo left and we got Freddy Garcia. This move is still disliked by some, but will be crucial in any October campaign and future years (since it appears very likely that we will resign him)

Then came Tuesday, a very important series against the Twins at the MEtrodome (where we haven't done well in recent years.) We won there with a great game from Buehrle. We even it up with the Twins

Wednesday was Garcia's 1st game in black and grey. He did OK, giving up some long balls, but striking out 9 to get a win. He will do better now that the pressure is lessening. We take a nice 1 game lead

Today, 2-1 win. Garland breaks his 4 game streak of bad pitching to make a great win. He deserved this win and turned some good double plays. He doesn't get good run support and takes a win for the 1st sweep at the dome since 1995. 2 game lead, what a turn around.

kojak
07-01-2004, 04:24 PM
No doubt about it!

For the first time ever, I feel like the Sox are destined for glory. Last night, despite the homers I KNEW we were going to find a way to win. Same deal today. Hard to describe it really. It is almost like a light switch was flipped.

Right now I feel like we could run the table to the All-Star break...

gobears1987
07-01-2004, 04:25 PM
I agree, last week I was thinking it was over, now I'm just waiting for October and killing the Yanks.

Kilroy
07-01-2004, 04:34 PM
It was 7 days ago. Last Friday. Our Sox lost to the Flubs. We were 3 back and slumping. It appeared that our season was just about over.
3 games back in June and it was about over? Weird. How come JR takes so much crap for trading away the pitching staff at the end of July back in 1997?

I agree tho. That is a really nice turn around in one week.

gobears1987
07-01-2004, 04:36 PM
3 games back in June and it was about over? Weird. How come JR takes so much crap for trading away the pitching staff at the end of July back in 1997?

I agree tho. That is a really nice turn around in one week.
I know what you are saying, but the general attitude was that if we didn't turn things around it would be over. It was actually seen as 4 games back to as no one expected the Diaz win over Zambrano.

jackbrohamer
07-01-2004, 04:52 PM
The Cubune declared on Saturday that the Sox & Cubs were teams going in different directions (the Sox down, Cubs up). After 1 freaking loss to the Cubs.

Brian26
07-01-2004, 05:07 PM
It's a heck of a turnaround, for sure.

StepsInSC
07-01-2004, 06:28 PM
The fickleness of people on this board anyways amazes me. We have one bad week and its nothing but doom and gloom, then one good week and we're guarenteed a spot in the playoffs.

The season is long. There's still half of it left. We're guaranteed nothing. Its a helluva turnaround but there's a lot more baseball to play.

With that said, I'm cautiously optimistic and its great to be seeing the team playing good ball.