PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Sox Sweep Twins 7/1/04 Postgame Thread

getemovergetemin
07-01-2004, 03:30 PM
I loved beating the Cubs last week............but the boys went up to the twinkie-dome, had no let down, and took care of business in the more important series!!! Thats the difference between Ozzie's team and Jerry's team!!!

Now lets come home and spray a keg of whoop ass on the Cubs!!!

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

jabrch
07-01-2004, 03:30 PM
I am thinking about opening day.

Other times you win games that you should lose. I am thinking of today. You shouldn't win too many games when you only get 4 hits.

But Great Game guys...Now on to the Cubs!

Philo-Sox-er
07-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Keep the brooms out for the Flubs!

HomeFish
07-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Nifty.

TomParrish79
07-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Great job by the Sox, I would have never figured we would sweep the twins.

gobears1987
Yeessssss!

DaveIsHere
:hawk

"I love those sweeps DJ!"

twinsuck1
SWEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES......:supernana:

itsnotrequired
I damn near died when Cuddyer got that double in the 9th. Not the best game ever but a win is still a win!

Bring on the Cubs! GO SOX!!!:supernana:

JRIG
2 games up. Let's not look back.

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

samram
07-01-2004, 03:33 PM

Other times you win games that you should lose. I am thinking of today. You shouldn't win too many games when you only get 4 hits.

The Twins have been winning games they should have lost for three years. The Sox owed them one.:bandance:

Mickster
Take 2 off of the MAGIC NUMBER!!!

IlliniSoxFan
YEEEESSSSSS!!! Damaso blew him away!!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

SEALgep
Oh Hell Ya!:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :gulp:

Flight #24
(phew)

Mauer scares me, especially in that situation. Nice to see Marte come through. This is the type of game we need to be able to win. Good efforts by Garland, Marte.

We win these, we blow them out.....we lead by 2.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/simpsons/images/340/burns.jpg

Excellent!!!

fledgedrallycap
Man, what a way to kick off a long weekend.....

Nice game by Garland and the pen.

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2004, 03:34 PM
This is the kind of game they will have to play and win in October. This bodes well for the playoffs.

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

hold2dibber
I damn near died when Cuddyer got that double in the 9th. Not the best game ever but a win is still a win!

Bring on the Cubs! GO SOX!!!:supernana:
What a great game; spectacular job by Garland. To sweep the Twins at the Dome with first place on the line? Man, that's about as sweet as can be.

A.T. Money
Offense did just enough I guess. Garland picked em up!

Good job!

OurBitchinMinny
07-01-2004, 03:35 PM
A five game swing in five days!!!With a little help from the brew crew and the lovable losers. Not let down going into the urinal

Paulwny

This is how you win championships, win the pitchers' duels, win the slug fests.
Great pitching today !!

DaveIsHere
DId anyone watch it on TV?? Did Hawk go nuts??

HebrewHammer
07-01-2004, 03:36 PM
:notwinks :sweep

quade36
07-01-2004, 03:37 PM
ahhh now I can take a tums and get back to work!!!!!!!

gobears1987
Why just think of opening day? Why not any game where Kroch pitched

jackbrohamer
I'd really like to see Garland turn the corner on blowing games. Looked like he scuffled today, hanging on to his slim lead is a good sign.

itsnotrequired
07-01-2004, 03:39 PM
A little OT but I am really impressed with how quickly the mods consolidated all the post-game threads into one. Great job, guys!:)

Mickster
07-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Why just think of opening day? Why not any game where Kroch pitched
Good call. How many games would we be up in the standings had it not been for that fool???

raul12
07-01-2004, 03:43 PM
:sweep :sweep :sweep

Duff Man says "Oh Yeah!"

idseer
07-01-2004, 03:44 PM
HOT DAMN! just now saw the box. obviously garland did superbly and marte matched it. this team is for real and now minn knows it.

don't look back now boys. :)

gosox3072
This might have been one of the best performances ive seen from Garland. He did not have his best stuff but he still got the job done. 7 innings 7 hits 1run! This is how aces pitch. Maybe someday JG will be one!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:
TIME TO PARTY
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Flight #24
IMO - the Garcia trade has a psychological spillover effect that's got the guys all really playing well and moving in the same direction. It's a confidence thing, a swagger that I'm starting to see. I just hope it's not too early....this is the way we need to be in September/October.

Mohoney
I'd really like to see Garland turn the corner on blowing games. Looked like he scuffled today, hanging on to his slim lead is a good sign.

How about the play by Paulie? How about the play by Jose?

Our GLOVES won us this game. That's an even better sign.

We won a game where our starter got out-pitched by their starter, who was downright nasty. What a win!

Muopsies
07-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Remember last week when many were worried that we'd be 6 or 7 games out after this series? What a difference a week makes.

Frankfan4life
07-01-2004, 03:45 PM
I have to give Garland his props today. He had to be absolutely stoked in order to keep the Twins from a big inning. It was a masterful and gutsy job on his part and I really have to give him credit. He can pitch if he puts his mind to it. Now if he can only do this consistently!

itsnotrequired
07-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Am I wrong here or is this the first sweep for the Sox all year? Well, a winning sweep.:rolleyes:

The_Floridian
07-01-2004, 03:47 PM
And now, we do the Dance of Joy! :bandance:

QueerGirrl
:supernana: :sweep

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Job Jon!!!!!!

Kadafi311
http://www.hawkwindcreations.com/child_broom.gifhttp://www.hawkwindcreations.com/child_broom.gifhttp://www.hawkwindcreations.com/child_broom.gif

:gulp: :drunken: :cheers:

inta
I love the message this sweep sends.

hopefully this humiliates the twins and they give up hope and spiral downwards.

Realist
07-01-2004, 03:48 PM

Careful. I said the same thing last July. We gotta keep playing good ball.

Win1ForMe
07-01-2004, 03:48 PM
What a great game; spectacular job by Garland. To sweep the Twins at the Dome with first place on the line? Man, that's about as sweet as can be.
Yeah, what he said...

mantis1212
07-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Don't look now everyone but today we clinched a 2004 winning record in the baggy dome!!!

Realist
07-01-2004, 03:52 PM
I don't think we should overlook how important it is that we beat a pitcher that was throwing some of the best stuff ever. That's something we haven't really done too much in the past and it's something that championship teams do.

Great win, Sox!

DC Sox Fan
07-01-2004, 03:55 PM
http://www.twinkiesproject.com/images/radiation3.jpgway to cook the twinkies

kittle42
07-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Reasons besides the obvious one that I am glad the Sox won:

1. I don't have to hear from the "Ozzie misuses Shingo" crowd because Marte did just fine.

2. I don't have to hear from the (unbelievable) "they should pitch to Joe Mauer like he's Barry Bonds" guy because he did jack.

Mohoney
07-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Am I wrong here or is this the first sweep for the Sox all year? Well, a winning sweep.:rolleyes:

We swept K.C. at the Cell in early April.

Dan H
07-01-2004, 04:03 PM
I went to a game in Minnesota in August 1993. Jack McDowell pitched and was in trouble in every inning. Frank Thomas homered in the first and the Sox never scored after that. The Sox won 1-0, getting only three hits. A month later they clinched the division. Good teams win games like this. Looks like the Sox are a good team.

itsnotrequired
07-01-2004, 04:04 PM
We swept K.C. at the Cell in early April.
I thought I remembered more than just this one. Thanks!:redneck

fhqwhgads
07-01-2004, 04:12 PM
You're in some dire need of deeppink there, inta. I believe the Twins had an abyssmal record last year against the Sox...until the last 5 games.

For now, enjoy first place. The Sox have earned it.:gulp:

FarWestChicago
07-01-2004, 04:15 PM
You're in some dire need of deeppink there, inta.He did get a little carried away there. I don't think the Twinkies know how to lay down and quit.

AnkleSox
07-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Carlos Beltran continues to torment chicago baseball, only this time its in the national league. He just homered to tie the game 4-4 at the Urinal!

Unregistered
07-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Nifty.Boo Hoo. This must be really hard on you, fish. :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
07-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Santana pitched brilliantly yet the Sox somehow found a way to win with pitching and great defense of their own.

Impressive.

Lip

markp8867
07-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Santana pitched brilliantly yet the Sox somehow found a way to win with pitching and great defense of their own.

Impressive.

Lip

It was impressive! It's about time we won a game like this in the Twinkie Dome. I had a bad feeling after that double in the ninth but Marte was awesome in striking out Joe Mauer. The Twins must be reeling as they really could not have had a better pitched game by Santana today.

Dadawg_77
07-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Some one you guys just don't understand the way Garland pitches. Since he isn't strike out pitcher, balls get put into play. The more ball hit into play the greater amount of hits a pitcher gives up in general. Today, the Twins hit where we were, sometimes hitters hit Garland to where they ain't. It isn't Garland being weak as some of you like to say, just he doesn't have a pitcher to knock guys out. Pitcher like Santana will win this game 7 out of ten times, but today was our day.

Great sweep. Now lets hope the Sox build on this, there is still a lot of baseball left but I think we can run away with the division.

This was a classic pitcher duel ball played today.

mcfish
07-01-2004, 04:40 PM
YES!!!!!! Sweep those Twinkies! Keep the momentum going into the Urinal! What a fantastic game by Garland.

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

:gulp: :gulp:

:neener: :cheers: :neener:

CHISOXFAN13
07-01-2004, 09:06 PM
I went to a game in Minnesota in August 1993. Jack McDowell pitched and was in trouble in every inning. Frank Thomas homered in the first and the Sox never scored after that. The Sox won 1-0, getting only three hits. A month later they clinched the division. Good teams win games like this. Looks like the Sox are a good team.
I remember watching every pitch of that game as well. McDowell was lights out and made big pitches when he needed to.

Great comparison.

WinningUgly!
07-01-2004, 09:17 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/sigs/deadtwinks.JPG

delben91
07-01-2004, 09:22 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/sigs/deadtwinks.JPG

Haha, I love it WU!

What a game, what a series. I love it!!

Whitesox029
07-01-2004, 11:40 PM

But Great Game guys...Now on to the Cubs!I disagree slightly. Jon was brilliant today. When the offense is down, the pitching has to pick 'em up and vice versa. That's what Jon did today, so I think we did deserve to win.
Games you don't deserve to win are the ones when the opposing closer comes in with a two run lead and you make a comeback on one hit or less (ala Billy Koch's final appearance in a Sox uni vs. Seattle a few weeks ago; Seattle did not deserve that win).

That aside.....
PARTY TIME!!!!!
:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:
:notwinks
:winner

kcsportscaster
07-01-2004, 11:54 PM
YEAH, Garland threw a much better game than he did against the
Flubbies last Friday. Also, I'm happy that DA SOX got to Santana
early on before he settled down, El Caballo coming through after
Hurt drew a walk on a pitch that was barely low.

Now, the message is clear, DA SOX MUST GO TO THE URINAL AND CONTINUE THEIR DOMINATION OF THE FLUBBIES!!!! I have another good feeling about DA SOX blasting Zambrano again Friday as they did last Saturday. Also, yes, thankfully, our local market, Mobile,
AL/Pensacola, FL, will get the game on Saturday on our local Fox
affiliate instead of Yankees/Mets, OH YEAH!!!! It may be the Thom
Brennaman/Steve Lyons game since "BucCarver" will do Yankees/Mets
again as they did last Saturday. Everybody, of course, will get the game Sunday night on E-S-P-N, however, I would cough up the $2.95 to watch Friday's game on mlb.tv since W-G-N, for some reason, won't televise the game, but I just don't feel like having to stomach Chip Caray and Steve Stone doing a Sox/Flubs game, especially Chip, with their usual Flubbie spin. Those of you in Chicagoland who won't be at The Urinal Friday should be fortunate that you can mute Chip and Stone and listen to John Rooney and Ed Farmer.

Later on,

Ken Coleman

GO SOX!!!!

WhiteSox = Life
07-02-2004, 12:43 AM
YEAH, Garland threw a much better game than he did against the
Flubbies last Friday. Also, I'm happy that DA SOX got to Santana
early on before he settled down, El Caballo coming through after
Hurt drew a walk on a pitch that was barely low.

Now, the message is clear, DA SOX MUST GO TO THE URINAL AND CONTINUE THEIR DOMINATION OF THE FLUBBIES!!!! I have another good feeling about DA SOX blasting Zambrano again Friday as they did last Saturday. Also, yes, thankfully, our local market, Mobile,
AL/Pensacola, FL, will get the game on Saturday on our local Fox
affiliate instead of Yankees/Mets, OH YEAH!!!! It may be the Thom
Brennaman/Steve Lyons game since "BucCarver" will do Yankees/Mets
again as they did last Saturday. Everybody, of course, will get the game Sunday night on E-S-P-N, however, I would cough up the $2.95 to watch Friday's game on mlb.tv since W-G-N, for some reason, won't televise the game, but I just don't feel like having to stomach Chip Caray and Steve Stone doing a Sox/Flubs game, especially Chip, with their usual Flubbie spin. Those of you in Chicagoland who won't be at The Urinal Friday should be fortunate that you can mute Chip and Stone and listen to John Rooney and Ed Farmer.

Later on,

Ken Coleman

GO SOX!!!!

Hey, Ken! It costs $2.95 less than the MLB.tv option to join in the WSI clubhouse chat on Friday! I may not be there, but plenty of knowledgeable, funny and great people hang out there. G'won and give it a try, man! You shan't be disappointed.

:cool:

slavko
07-02-2004, 12:46 PM
I'll give Garland credit for not walking a bunch of Twins. The rest of the story is half-a-dozen atom balls that if they had fallen in we'd have lost by 6 runs.

TornLabrum
07-02-2004, 12:53 PM
I'll give Garland credit for not walking a bunch of Twins. The rest of the story is half-a-dozen atom balls that if they had fallen in we'd have lost by 6 runs.
But you know something? THEY DIDN'T!

ma-gaga
07-02-2004, 02:45 PM
ugh.

That one hurt. That really took out the wind out of my sails. Not that the W.Sox won the games, but HOW they won them. They won a regular game, an offensive explosion, and a pitching duel.

The only palatable thing for me is that the Twins get 21 games against the dregs of baseball before facing a real team at the end of this month. Unless you call Baltimore a "real" team.

But it's no longer early in the season to blow off the results of this series... Dammit.

:gulp: