PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for Optimism

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Besides the powerful Sox offense and the fact that they now have the best starting rotation in the division (and one of the best in the league), consider:

Maggs will be back soon. His return will be like trading for another bat. :bandance:

Crede is heating up. He may have another strong second half like he did in 2003. His improvement will be like adding yet another hitter to an already fearsome lineup. :bandance:

Konerko looks to be back after a horrible 2003. :bandance:

Garland has turned the corner and has become a reliable mid-rotation starter. But now he's the #4 with the addition of Garcia. :bandance:

Shoe will be back from the DL at some point. He can either be an effective #5 or can go back to the bullpen. :bandance:

The weather is heating up. While Sox pitchers will serve up even more dingers at the Cell, they are good enough to keep the Sox in games, while the powerful Sox offense should slug out lots of 10-8 wins this summer over other teams' inferior pitching. :bandance:

Lastly, of the final 87 games, 52 are within the AL Central:
Twins-10, Indians-10, Royals-13, Tigers-19. Plus, they have six games with Seattle. :bandance:

Otherwise, the schedule is tough but not impossible: Cubs-3, Phillies-1, Boston-6, Anaheim-6, Texas-6, Oakland-7. Although the Sox have to go to the West Coast again, this time they will not have Gas Can Koch trying to close tight games. :bandance:

delben91
07-01-2004, 10:45 AM
This calls for ----> :supernana:

SSN721
07-01-2004, 10:48 AM
:gulp: :bandance: :dtroll: :supernana:

itsnotrequired
07-01-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm so excited about this team right now...

BigEdWalsh
07-01-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm so excited about this team right now...
Me too!!

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

GO SOX!

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

Mickster
07-01-2004, 10:59 AM
:dancers: :dancers: :dancers: :dancers:

DaveIsHere
07-01-2004, 11:02 AM
:threadrules: :supernana:

Iguana775
07-01-2004, 11:17 AM
:gulp: :dtroll: :bandance: :cool:

rwcescato
07-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Besides the powerful Sox offense and the fact that they now have the best starting rotation in the division (and one of the best in the league), consider:

Maggs will be back soon. His return will be like trading for another bat. :bandance:

Crede is heating up. He may have another strong second half like he did in 2003. His improvement will be like adding yet another hitter to an already fearsome lineup. :bandance:

Konerko looks to be back after a horrible 2003. :bandance:

Garland has turned the corner and has become a reliable mid-rotation starter. But now he's the #4 with the addition of Garcia. :bandance:

Shoe will be back from the DL at some point. He can either be an effective #5 or can go back to the bullpen. :bandance:

The weather is heating up. While Sox pitchers will serve up even more dingers at the Cell, they are good enough to keep the Sox in games, while the powerful Sox offense should slug out lots of 10-8 wins this summer over other teams' inferior pitching. :bandance:

Lastly, of the final 87 games, 52 are within the AL Central:
Twins-10, Indians-10, Royals-13, Tigers-19. Plus, they have six games with Seattle. :bandance:

Otherwise, the schedule is tough but not impossible: Cubs-3, Phillies-1, Boston-6, Anaheim-6, Texas-6, Oakland-7. Although the Sox have to go to the West Coast again, this time they will not have Gas Can Koch trying to close tight games. :bandance:
You are right about being excited. I am, but also carefully optomistic.
This team has good chemistry and a lot of hitters. I saw last nights hilights and saw all Sox hitters hittibng the ball in all directions of the field. Thats a good thing. I still think one more pitcher in the pen would help.
Ozzie has to put Konerko at 1st at Wrigley. He destroyed their pitching
at the cell. Lets go 6-0 on this road trip and then get really excited.
GO SOX!!!
Rich
By The Way, Dave Wills will be doing his show on Friday from Cork and Kerrys on Western I will be there with my Thomas Jersey around 3 or 4 to watch the end of the game.

southsidegirl
07-01-2004, 11:29 AM
We have a 4 win streak. Will Hawk shave his head if we win 6 more?

This is the best tag: :dtroll:

Dadawg_77
07-01-2004, 11:37 AM
The number greatest reason for optimism is we have a very good shot to win this division. Then it is all about who is the hottest team not really the better one. For if it is about talent, we have no chance against the Yankees. but if we are hot and they are not, we will beat them in October.

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2004, 11:38 AM
I still think one more pitcher in the pen would help.

Yes, a pitcher in the pen would be great. But Shoe may be the guy for the pen if Rauch or Diaz can hold down the #5 spot.

DaveIsHere
07-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Looks more like Rauch, he was warming up in the pen last night in the bottom of the 5th I believe.

SEALgep
07-01-2004, 11:50 AM
We have a 4 win streak. Will Hawk shave his head if we win 6 more?

This is the best tag: :dtroll:I think he learned his lesson last time. He wore a hat for about a month it seemed like.

fado
07-01-2004, 11:52 AM
My reasons for optimism:

1. AVG.T-1st
2. SLG. 1st
3. OBP 3rd
4. OPS 1st
5. HR 1st
6. R 1st
7. RBI 1st

Dang we're powerful...the only team that scares me is the Yankmees and we won't see them again until the ALCS!

southsidegirl
07-01-2004, 11:55 AM
I think he learned his lesson last time. He wore a hat for about a month it seemed like.
At Soxfest though he said that he would possibly shave it if we went on a streak. I would like DJ to grow an afro and muttonchops more though. Now that would be funny.

jabrch
07-01-2004, 11:57 AM
My reasons for optimism:

1. AVG.T-1st
2. SLG. 1st
3. OBP 3rd
4. OPS 1st
5. HR 1st
6. R 1st
7. RBI 1st

Dang we're powerful...the only team that scares me is the Yankmees and we won't see them again until the ALCS!

Can someone refresh my memory and tell me why Kenny Williams is a bad GM? Our offense is the best (statistically) in the league using any objective or subjective evaluation you care to create. We have 3 #2s and a #3 in our rotation - a rotation that compares favorably to anyone from 1-5. We are winning games. I guess some people will never be happy with anything he does - huh?

Dadawg_77
07-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Can someone refresh my memory and tell me why Kenny Williams is a bad GM? Our offense is the best (statistically) in the league using any objective or subjective evaluation you care to create. We have 3 #2s and a #3 in our rotation - a rotation that compares favorably to anyone from 1-5. We are winning games. I guess some people will never be happy with anything he does - huh?
Track record. If you guys want to discount what Beane has done because the big three "were there before Beane." Then you can't give Kenny too much credit for the O since the biggest drivers of it where really here before he became the GM.

Mickster
07-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Track record. If you guys want to discount what Beane has done because the big three "were there before Beane." Then you can't give Kenny too much credit for the O since the biggest drivers of it where really here before he became the GM.
YOUR'E RIGHT!!! Let's fire the SOB! Sheesh. :whiner:

delben91
07-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Why do I fear a thread entitled "Reasons for Optimism" is going to deteriorate into a thread about KW's pros and cons?

Flight #24
07-01-2004, 12:28 PM
Track record. If you guys want to discount what Beane has done because the big three "were there before Beane." Then you can't give Kenny too much credit for the O since the biggest drivers of it where really here before he became the GM.Ah, but similarly, he's maintained that O and built a pretty good pitching staff to complement it. So if you compliment Beane on doing that, shouldn't KW be so complimented?:)

Dadawg_77
07-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Ah, but similarly, he's maintained that O and built a pretty good pitching staff to complement it. So if you compliment Beane on doing that, shouldn't KW be so complimented?:)
You could say, but it could be inspite of Kenny's best efforts ie trying to get rid of Thomas and trying to bring in Erstad.

delben91
07-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Oh dear... :cower:

pl8ump1012
07-01-2004, 12:32 PM
This is the best tag: :dtroll:

No, this :kermit is the best.

HebrewHammer
07-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Dang we're powerful...the only team that scares me is the Yankmees and we won't see them again until the ALCS!:canseco

"Well, if you need more power....."

Mickster
07-01-2004, 12:36 PM
You could say, but it could be inspite of Kenny's best efforts ie trying to get rid of Thomas and trying to bring in Erstad.
Dadawg_77, you need to post your ideas in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35399). Keep it out of the "Reasons for Optimism (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36158)" thread. Please.