PDA

View Full Version : Jose an All-Star?

kjhanson
07-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Before the season began, I was ready to write Jose off and was upset he received as much money as he did.

As of late, though, he has earned his paycheck. He is playing solid defense, and is coming up with all the clutch hits. Not to mention he's on pace for over 40 homers. When was the last time a White Sox IF not named Frank Thomas had 40 home runs? And especially from the shortstop position (obviously never).

Anyways, I think Jose will have garnered serious consideration for the All-Star game if he was healthy all season.

He's hitting a solid .270 and ranks accordingly in the following categories for AL shortstops:

(This is based on per AB because Jose has 115 AB's less than Michael Young...and is way beyond most others)

Runs: 1st
Home Runs: 1st
RBI: 2nd
BB: 2nd

He also ranks 1st in SLG% and 2nd in OPS%

If he played in all 73 games thus far, his numbers would project to 22 home runs and 60 RBI.

Of course a lot of this is tainted by his recent hot streak, but I think the second half looks pretty solid.

Jose won't make the All-Star team because the Tigers need a rep. (Carlos Guillen) and Michael Young is on pace for 730 AB!! (He's hitting for a hgh avg. in all those AB's though). And Migeul Tejada has been solid.

None-the-less he deserves some props for a job well done in the past couple weeks.

ode to veeck
07-01-2004, 10:25 AM
KJ, Welcome to WSI by the way!!

Go Manos! Jose might have had a chance if the stupid fan voting didn't waste half the roster spots with non-performing buffoons that aren't even close to .250.

fledgedrallycap
07-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Based on numbers, Uribe and Valentin both should be playing Houston. There is a good chance niether will go.

Same can be said for Thomas and Konerko, but only one will probably go...PK has the edge.

Buerle may still get a shot because of his win totals, especially if he gets to nine or ten...

LASOXFAN
07-01-2004, 10:28 AM
I'm schizo when it comes to Jose. One minute I hate him for booting a ground ball or striking out on a bad pitch with runners on, and the next minute I'm loving him for jacking a 3-run dinger. He really is a bag of tricks. But a fun one to watch!

Tekijawa
07-01-2004, 10:35 AM
I'd Also like to point out that there is a slight LOG JAM at that position in the AL:

Jeter
Tejada
Garciapara

No way he EVER gets on an allstar team ahead of any one of these guys!

kjhanson
07-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Here's the last 11 games compared to the 11 played before it by Jose:

.359 5 13
.182 2 5

His BB:K in the last 11 games: 1:1.14
11 before that: 1:7

I don't mind if the power numbers of the past two weeks decline, but if he can get on base, or at least put the ball in play like he has of late, he's just as dangerous in our lineup as Paulie is. And with Mags back, he'll have even more chances to knock in runs.

delben91
07-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Anyone else suspect that the Sox only get one rep on the All-Star team?

I'm thinking it'll work out that way. Maybe Thomas, maybe Konerko, maybe Buehrle, but I just can't see more than one being picked for the squad.

DSpivack
07-01-2004, 11:24 AM
I saw this on ESPN today, but what is Isolated Power, exactly?

Frank Thomas had been top 2 in AL all year it seems, but he's now third, because Jose is 1st.

I thought it was something like OPS-OBP, but am not sure. Could someone clarify how it is calculated, and then what this calculation infers? Thanks!

[sorry if this is off-topic in the thread, but Jose is 1st right now!]

CanOfCorn
07-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Now that Carlos Beltran is on the Astros, Ken Harvey will most likely be their rep, which means Konerko/Thomas could be forced out.