PDA

View Full Version : Classic Red Sox meltdown

1951Campbell
07-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Did anyone see the Red Sox boot it last night? It included an error on Ortiz that looked suspiciously like Bill Buckner...and all during Wake's first start in NY after giving up Boone's HR last year.

Man, I wish I could listen to WEEI all day today...

"The season is ovah! Wicked ovah! Curse, blah blah blah."

:D:

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-01-2004, 09:28 AM
that play was brutal. correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't ortiz mess up another play? i think it was charged to nomah though because it was an awful throw. the problem with the red sox is that they have too many DH type guys. manny, ortiz, millar, and ellis burks. they can hit, but they can't field to save their lives. only behind the tigers in the al for the most errors. speaking of the tigers, i-rod batted .500 for the month of june, that's unbelievable.

delben91
07-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Did anyone see the Red Sox boot it last night? It included an error on Ortiz that looked suspiciously like Bill Buckner...and all during Wake's first start in NY after giving up Boone's HR last year.

On the Sportscenter highlights, whoever the commentator was said, "Man, just something about the Red Sox and first base." after Ortiz botched the grounder.

1951Campbell
07-01-2004, 12:24 PM
that play was brutal. correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't ortiz mess up another play?
You are correct. It bounced about two feet in front of Ortiz, and he tried to scoop it. He looked like a beer-league softball guy imitating a major league player. But the E went to Mr. Hamm.

Fenway
07-01-2004, 12:47 PM
The mood here in Beantown is grim

WEEI is now as ugly as WIP in Philadelphia. Fans are screaming to get Grady Little back.

The newspapers are not much better

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/07/01/theres_no_mistaking_that_this_one_hurts_more_than_ others/

: NEW YORK -- Fire the manager. Trade Nomar. Buy every member of the team a brand new mitt, then shave all their heads. Fire Theo, bring back Dan Duquette, sell the team, and implode Fenway.

Hysterical enough for you?

It's a good thing the Red Sox are on the road for another four days. They are a safe distance from a vicious Boston media, angry talk radio, and fans who are alternately enraged and heartbroken.

as far as Terry goes?

quote: Not a single member of the Red Sox baseball operation is in New York this week, which is regrettable. Somebody needs to shake things up and it's not going to be Francona. Mr. Hakuna Matata would be on the firing line if he weren't in the first half of the first year of his three-year deal. He's the closest thing we've seen to M.L. Carr since Pete Carroll. He won't bunt and when he does bunt, his players can't execute. He hasn't been timely with his late-game substitutions (why wasn't David McCarty on the field in the seventh after Ortiz made the final out of the top of the inning?) and discipline is a joke.

The fans?

Our Sox message board as been on fire since last night.

http://redsoxnation.net/index.php?showtopic=5969 (http://redsoxnation.net/index.php?showtopic=5969)

If the New York fishwrap doesn't inspire the Red Sox tonight, they may go into a swoon that will destroy their WC chance as well. Mother of God we only 3 1/2 ahead of the Tampa Bay Fighting Seaweed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/753-BACK_BIG.jpg http://www.nypost.com/images/back070104.gif

Brian26
07-01-2004, 01:32 PM
I couldn't watch more than a minute of the ESPN feed because of that bloated oaf Berman's announcing.

Baby Fisk
07-02-2004, 09:17 AM
Wow, if anyone happened to catch last night's Red Sox-Yanks game, it was a 4 hour, 20 minute classic! Best scene was Derek Jeter charging hard towards the camera bay on the 3B line chasing a pop-up. He made the catch and went hurtling over the bay and right into the second row of seats, connecting face-first with a chair. Lacerated chin and bruised & bloody cheek. He looked totally dazed as they walked him off the field. If you haven't seen the highlights, what are you waiting for????

The YES network kept cutting to shots of a surly, isolated looking Nomar pouting in the Carmine dugout all night long. He was given the day off, but the fartcatcher commentators each took turns ripping him.

In the end, Boston blew a 13th inning lead and were swept in the Bronx. I'm sure there's a Salem-style witchhunt well underway in Massachussetts today. I feel bad for our friend Fenway, who must feel about 1,918 times worse... I'd buy you one if I could, pal...
:cheers:

Fenway
07-02-2004, 10:03 AM
I will say this much, you will almost never see a game in July like the epic last night in the Bronx.This had everything. The play by Jeter shows he is a champion.

Boston faces a grim reality on this July 2nd. To play in October they must win the WC. The Yankees just don't blow 9 game leads.

Gammons is saying Nomar maybe headed for 1060 W Addison posibly for Clement. In any event #5 will not be in Boston much longer.

I thought Boston's disaster this summer would be the Democratic Convention. I don't know what to expect from Theo now.

WEEI is not a lovefest this morning.