PDA

View Full Version : Konerko's Cocky Swagger

Realist
07-01-2004, 07:54 AM
Today's Sun-Times has an interesting article that quotes Paulie extensively. In the article, if you read between the lines, I think you'll see that Konerko seems to be expressing a certain confidense that he claims is being emitted from the entire team.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this confidense that borders on or even crosses the line of cockiness is something that I look for in championship teams. I offer the 1985 Chicago Bears and their "Super Bowl Shuffle" as an example. I think the Sox of 1994 had this same spirit. The 2000 Sox seemed to be playing over their heads and also seemed to know they were. The 2003 Sox were just too much of a reflection of their basket-case manager to have this cocky swagger. From what Paulie seems to be saying, the 2004 Sox have this "we're going to win" mojo going for them. This I want and need to see. I firmly believe this attitude is neccessary in a World Series bound team.

Konerko: Sox haven't lost anything yet (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep01.html)

"Without getting anybody, this team expected to win the division because we're confident and we knew we had a good team, and there was no reason we shouldn't have thought that,'' Konerko said. "Now we get Freddy, who is a big horse in the rotation, and now we expected it even more.''
[Edit: I apologize in advance for not including any negativity in this post for those of you that crave that sort of thing]