PDA

View Full Version : Little Flashback, if you will

guillen4life13
06-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Hey guys. I was just thinking to myself just now that before/at the beginning of this season, I had extremely low expectations for the Sox. I expected, at best, a 3rd place finish in the division. They hadn't resigned Alomar, Everett, Gordon, Colon, Sully, etc. They had passed on Cito Gaston as manager. I was totally bummed and depressed about the team.

Look at them now! They've exceeded my expectations like a friggin' charm! This is the first time that they haven't disappointed me--the last 3 seasons were complete letdowns. It's been absolutely amazing.

Let's hope the success keeps coming all the way through October and through the World Series! Bring the Series to the southside!

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

gobears1987
06-30-2004, 11:47 PM
I agree. eee YESSSSS!!!!

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Hey everyone was calling me an optimist when I predicted 91 wins and a division title back in March. If I said that today, you'd probably question why I have such conservative estimates for this team:D:

koch44
07-01-2004, 12:08 AM
They had passed on Cito Gaston as manager.
I remember some saying that Gaston would've been just as exciting as Manuel. I think that that now we would be about 5 games back of Minnesota had we hired Gaston.

guillen4life13
07-01-2004, 12:20 AM
^^^At the time, my thinking was this: Cito has managed through and won two world series. Guillen had never managed a baseball team. That's what was going through my mind at the time.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though. :tongue:

pearso66
07-01-2004, 12:30 AM
I had predicted 88-92 wins IIRC. I figured with the way this team can hit, we could compete with anyone. Plus I try to always be optimistic, especially after the 2000 season when I said at the beginning that this wasnt our year, next year is, and they went on to win 95 games.

pudge
07-01-2004, 01:47 AM
This team coming out of spring was not much different from the team that came out in 2003. There was no reason we couldn't win this awful division. Now we *should* run away with it.

joeynach
07-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Hey guys. I was just thinking to myself just now that before/at the beginning of this season, I had extremely low expectations for the Sox. I expected, at best, a 3rd place finish in the division. They hadn't resigned Alomar, Everett, Gordon, Colon, Sully, etc. They had passed on Cito Gaston as manager. I was totally bummed and depressed about the team.

Look at them now! They've exceeded my expectations like a friggin' charm! This is the first time that they haven't disappointed me--the last 3 seasons were complete letdowns. It's been absolutely amazing.

Let's hope the success keeps coming all the way through October and through the World Series! Bring the Series to the southside!
Isn't funny how both cinncinatti and pittsburg are now both way better teams and much more competetive teams after last years fire sales of their big times players and stars. Same thing with Arod and texas, look at them now. Amazing. Its seems that scrappy teams with postion players who can run, bunt, hit, and catch make it these days. Not teams with bloated players contracts and a huge ego at every postion where god forbid they be asked to bunt.

sas1974
07-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Isn't funny how both cinncinatti and pittsburg are now both way better teams and much more competetive teams after last years fire sales of their big times players and stars. Same thing with Arod and texas, look at them now. Amazing. Its seems that scrappy teams with postion players who can run, bunt, hit, and catch make it these days. Not teams with bloated players contracts and a huge ego at every postion where god forbid they be asked to bunt.
I think you may be forgetting about a certain team from the Bronx.

skottyj242
07-01-2004, 09:11 AM
I had predicted 88-92 wins IIRC. I figured with the way this team can hit, we could compete with anyone. Plus I try to always be optimistic, especially after the 2000 season when I said at the beginning that this wasnt our year, next year is, and they went on to win 95 games.

What league are you watching? We play 162 games not 180!!!!!!

eurotrash35
07-01-2004, 09:25 AM
What league are you watching? We play 162 games not 180!!!!!!
reading is FUNdamental :D:

ode to veeck
07-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Ozzie for manager of the year, great job so far!

Hokiesox
07-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Maybe Ozzie could get Jack Mckeon to come be a 3rd base coach for the playoffs should Florida be eliminated.