PDA

View Full Version : Can we please stop the trade Konerko threads/rumors

munchman33
06-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Yeah, his value is really high now. But that's because he's second in the league in homers. First place teams don't trade players with those kinds of stats, they trade for them.

the_valenstache
06-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Yeah, his value is really high now. But that's because he's second in the league in homers. First place teams don't trade players with those kinds of stats, they trade for them.
Who would have thunk that at this point of the season we'd be ready to create a KEEP PAULIE petition?

Low average or not, I can only think of 1 or 2 other first basemen in all of baseball that I'd rather have right now.

jabrch
06-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Who would have thunk that at this point of the season we'd be ready to create a KEEP PAULIE petition?

Low average or not, I can only think of 1 or 2 other first basemen in all of baseball that I'd rather have right now.
So true...remember, in February, at least 50% of the people here would have given up PK for free to anyone who'd take his salary. The proverbial response was that nobody would take on his salary at all - much less give you a bag of balls for him. There was actually some people who went as far to argue that we should have traded him to the Mets for Roger Cedeno!

I am happy as a lark for PK. It's nice to see a guy who we developed (I know he came from other places - but he blossomed here) become an impact player. I hope his 2nd half is as good as his first half has been so far.

gobears1987
06-30-2004, 11:48 PM
amen, we need Paulie.

HITMEN OF 77
07-01-2004, 01:12 AM
This is the best thread of the night. Keep Paulie.

SSN721
07-01-2004, 08:09 AM
I was definitely one who was ready to dump Paulie for a bag of balls and 10 pounds of sunflower seeds before the year started. I am happy to see I am wrong up til this point. Hopefully by not making it ont the all-star team this year he will have just as productive a second half as he did his first half. I am really hoping to see an entire year of relatively consistent prodcution out of him. I would definitely not trade him now, and I really hope I wont be regretting saying that at the end of the year. I dont think I will though. :smile:

joeynach
07-01-2004, 08:43 AM
amen, we need Paulie.
Paulieeeeeee, Paulieeeeeeee, Paulieeeeeee!!!!

gosox41
07-01-2004, 08:47 AM
What if you can get a quality starter and maybe a reliever for him?? Just a hypothetical question.

Bob

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2004, 08:53 AM
I am happy to be eating crow right now. :redface:

Mmmmmm....Crow. Better have a beer to wash it down... :gulp:

jshanahanjr
07-01-2004, 09:34 AM
I bought his authentic jersey this year, so I hope he stays for a long time. Paulie has been great!

munchman33
07-01-2004, 11:01 AM
What if you can get a quality starter and maybe a reliever for him?? Just a hypothetical question.
Bob
Absolutely not. At the beginning of the season, you trade key players from your roster. During the season, you only do that if you're losing or if that players a free agent at the end of the season, neither being the case with Paulie.

If we're picking up another pitcher, plenty will be available by teams conceding in July. They'll take prospects. Why give them one of your best hitters?

delben91
07-01-2004, 11:15 AM

Bob

Intriguing, but probably not. As munchman said, when the Sox hit the end of July, a lot more teams will be throwing in the towel on 2004 and there will be more sellers to choose amongst. As such, the price for whatever parts the contenders need will probably be driven down. A relative flooding of the market. Only relative though.

gosox41
07-01-2004, 11:36 AM
Absolutely not. At the beginning of the season, you trade key players from your roster. During the season, you only do that if you're losing or if that players a free agent at the end of the season, neither being the case with Paulie.

If we're picking up another pitcher, plenty will be available by teams conceding in July. They'll take prospects. Why give them one of your best hitters?
You may be right. It was just a hypothetical as I haven't heard any rumors with PK's name in it.

But I am concerned about PK. He has a history of being a one half hitter. This isn't being negative as it is a fact. I hope this year is different because even with Magglio cominf back the last thing the Sox need offensively is for PK to hit .220 with 8HR's the second half.

You know what they say about history. But overall, PK has been a pleasant surprise this year....so far.

Bob

sas1974
07-01-2004, 11:36 AM
Trading Paulie would absolutely kill the chemistry in the clubhouse. He's help carry this team in the absence of Maggs.

Mohoney
07-01-2004, 02:48 PM
This is the best thread of the night. Keep Paulie.

While we're at it, Keep Maggs too.

Whitesox029
07-01-2004, 10:07 PM

Low average or not, I can only think of 1 or 2 other first basemen in all of baseball that I'd rather have right now.If you look back to some of the preseason threads on this subject, you'll find that I have always been ardently against trading Konerko for more reasons than one, and you will also find that I predicted he would hit .300 with 100 RBI and at least 30 HR (I will sacrifice 15 or so average points for 10 extra RBIs and 10 extra HR because I think we're looking at a .285-110-40 type pace right now). I have been saying for the longest time that it would be foolish to trade him, and now more so than ever. I believe we're shooting for it this year, and trading away a hitter like that is not the type of thing that a potential contender does.

Kadafi311
07-01-2004, 10:28 PM
As I said back in May...

<3 your 1st baseman

Here's to you Walnuts :gulp:

pissonthecubs
07-01-2004, 10:42 PM
hhhmmm, lets see, trade PK for pitching and/or prospects, and see Big Frank at 1st? YIKES!! on somedays, i am one of the few if not the only one on the left on the Frank bandwagon, but even i could stand a week of Frank at first base more less a full season!!!

how bout we keep PK and let him keep hitting his homers. How does 3 or 4 sound for this weekend.

Whitesox029
07-01-2004, 10:46 PM
how bout we keep PK and let him keep hitting his homers. How does 3 or 4 sound for this weekend.Suits me fine.