PDA

View Full Version : Mauer - a warning

SpringfldFan
06-30-2004, 11:11 PM
I am not saying this guy is the new Bonds, but right now I think Ozzie needs to face the fact that he is in a zone. Regardless of who the Sox throw at him, I have the feeling that it will more likely then not wind up an extra base hit or in the seats. If I were managing, tomorrow I would file this away and make a point to not let him beat us and keep the ball away from him if he is in a position to drive in runs. How do you all feel? Should Garland and the pen "challenge" and go right at him or concede and give him nothing to hit?

SEALgep
06-30-2004, 11:13 PM
I am not saying this guy is the new Bonds, but right now I think Ozzie needs to face the fact that he is in a zone. Regardless of who the Sox throw at him, I have the feeling that it will more likely then not wind up an extra base hit or in the seats. If I were managing, tomorrow I would file this away and make a point to not let him beat us and keep the ball away from him if he is in a position to drive in runs. How do you all feel? Should Garland and the pen "challenge" and go right at him or concede and give him nothing to hit?He's hot, but I would go after him. It really depends on the situation, but in general, I think we should be aggressive.

JB98
07-01-2004, 01:23 AM
I am not saying this guy is the new Bonds, but right now I think Ozzie needs to face the fact that he is in a zone. Regardless of who the Sox throw at him, I have the feeling that it will more likely then not wind up an extra base hit or in the seats. If I were managing, tomorrow I would file this away and make a point to not let him beat us and keep the ball away from him if he is in a position to drive in runs. How do you all feel? Should Garland and the pen "challenge" and go right at him or concede and give him nothing to hit?
It's a day game after a night game. Hopefully, Mauer will sit this one out.

mantis1212
07-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Should Garland and the pen "challenge" and go right at him or concede and give him nothing to hit?
Depends on the situation, but I'd definitely give him more respect. If first base is open and he's not the tying run, put him on. (or put it in his ribs :tongue: - he'll learn the lesson sometime right?) I can't believe I said that, violence is bad

soltrain21
07-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Who cares how hot he is, obviously not hot enough to beat us! Pitch to him.

SSN721
07-01-2004, 06:41 AM
He is definitely a great player, but I think that you have to pitch to him at this point. I dont beleive he has earned the respect to be walked in any scoring situation, despite that he is hot right now. If he continues on a tear for the whole year maybe the next time around that we see him we are a little more careful, but I just hate the idea of not challenging a hitter unless they are at Barry Bonds level or obviously locked in.

Realist
07-01-2004, 07:02 AM
He's a total bitch at the plate and if no Sox pitcher ever has to face him for the rest of his career, it'll be too soon.

When all else fails, put it in his ear hole. :whistle:

chisoxjk
07-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Depends on the situation, but I'd definitely give him more respect. If first base is open and he's not the tying run, put him on. (or put it in his ribs :tongue: - he'll learn the lesson sometime right?) I can't believe I said that, violence is bad
Last I checked, Mauer is a rookie who has been out half the season. One hot streak is not enough to start giving him first base for free. Since when does a rookie get pitched to like he is the Big Hurt or Bonds?

34 Inch Stick
07-01-2004, 08:26 AM
He has proven he can hit a fastball. Now it is time to throw him something different and see how that works out. You pitch to him.

pczarapa
07-01-2004, 08:46 AM

Definitely pitch to him, I think pitching around people brings about bad karma from the baseball gods.

SEALgep
07-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Just to point out as well, the Garcia homer he went dug a decent pitch. The Shingo homer was just a mistake that he put right down the middle.

daveeym
07-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Wow according to this thread he's the messiah II.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7062

Wow 24 games into his career. Let the punk earn it first. TAKE IT TO HIS ASS.

rmusacch
07-01-2004, 10:59 AM
It's a day game after a night game. Hopefully, Mauer will sit this one out.
He is in the lineup.