PDA

View Full Version : Damaso Marte

AOEllis
06-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Damaso Marte last year I remeber consistantly was throwing 97, 98 on the radar gun. This year, the fastest pitch I remeber from him was 94. Is this caused by arm trouble that he may have had in over the past year, or is he being coached to slow the ball down and concentrate more on location and off-speed pitches (he has that 83 mph slider)?

Either way, he is effective. He is a great set-up man to have.

After that first game v. KC I had some serious doubts about both him and our bullpen. He is getting the groove of things now and becoming a consistant pitcher.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Daver
06-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Beware the radar gun.

Iguana775
06-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Beware the radar gun.
ut oh, don't get daver started about the radar gun....

:)

AnkleSox
06-30-2004, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure about Marte's fastball. But I do think that it's crazy that the Sox bullpen was one of the most questionable in baseball at the beginning of the year, and now with just the release of Koch and the rise of Politte (which may or may not last), it has become one of the most solid.

chisoxjk
06-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Nobody better be in here slamming the Smith-Rothschild speed gun. I'll get Farmer in here so fast it will make heads spin. :D:

joeynach
06-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Damaso Marte last year I remeber consistantly was throwing 97, 98 on the radar gun. This year, the fastest pitch I remeber from him was 94. Is this caused by arm trouble that he may have had in over the past year, or is he being coached to slow the ball down and concentrate more on location and off-speed pitches (he has that 83 mph slider)?

After that first game v. KC I had some serious doubts about both him and our bullpen. He is getting the groove of things now and becoming a consistant pitcher.

Any pitching coach will tell you the best pitch you can throw is the located fastball. Especially with damaso's deceptive motion he is fine at 92 or 93 as long as he is locating well.

JB98
07-01-2004, 01:11 AM
Any pitching coach will tell you the best pitch you can throw is the located fastball. Especially with damaso's deceptive motion he is fine at 92 or 93 as long as he is locating well.
Personally, I don't recall Marte's fastball ever being 97 or 98. He's always thrown 92-94, complemented by a low-80s slider. The slider is more of an out pitch for him than the fastball. After a slow start this season, his stuff has looked pretty good of late.

JRIG
07-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Personally, I don't recall Marte's fastball ever being 97 or 98. He's always thrown 92-94, complemented by a low-80s slider. The slider is more of an out pitch for him than the fastball. After a slow start this season, his stuff has looked pretty good of late.
Yep. I agree on all points.

gosox41
07-01-2004, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure about Marte's fastball. But I do think that it's crazy that the Sox bullpen was one of the most questionable in baseball at the beginning of the year, and now with just the release of Koch and the rise of Politte (which may or may not last), it has become one of the most solid.
I disagree. This bullpen still makes me pretty nervous. The Sox can use at least one more good reliever, and maybe 2.

Bob

SEALgep
07-01-2004, 09:04 AM
I disagree. This bullpen still makes me pretty nervous. The Sox can use at least one more good reliever, and maybe 2.

BobYou can say that about any team. No team has every reliever as lights out at all times. We could use another arm or two, but that doesn't mean we don't indeed have a solid pen right now.

gosox41
07-01-2004, 09:26 AM
You can say that about any team. No team has every reliever as lights out at all times. We could use another arm or two, but that doesn't mean we don't indeed have a solid pen right now.
The guy I feel the most confident in is Marte. He is by far our best reliever. I am quickly gaining confidence in Shingo but still have some doubts. I'm not going to say someone is a great pitcher after pitching 30 innings in the big leagues.

Politte is more of a head case. He has the stuff to be great but has yet to show it consistently. Cotts is pitching better then I thought but still looks shaky more often then not.

Mike Jackson has sucked lately. And I think Rauch can be a solid long reliever whihc means he'll be on mop up detail. I don't think the Sox should mess with his shoulder problems by using him as a short reliever. He'll be much more effective (and healthier) as a long reliever.

Bob

OG4LIFE
07-01-2004, 09:28 AM

I agree with Ellis (whats up Ellis this is ace by the way) - I do remember when he would hit 98 on the gun- i dont know if it may have been calibrated wrong (which could explain 2-4 mph diff) or if damaso just happened to be pumped up at the time.

As far as getting another late game reliever, i think we need one. politte has been hot, but i think he will come back to his career #'s (mediocre for a reliever):

ERA WHIP BAA
4.52 1.39 .251

and i love takatsu as much as the next guy, but i think hes going to have a rough 2nd half once the rest of the league gets a book on him.

outside of marte, im not sure any other late inning reliever is good, and proven good, over the long term.

gobears1987
07-01-2004, 03:39 PM
2 good innings today for the save. Nice pitching Demaso

Tragg
07-01-2004, 03:49 PM

Bob
This is where a couple of the young players could really step up- the loser of the 5th starter race/Schoe and Cotts becoming really tough in the pen would help immenesly. I hate to deplete farm systems for middle relievers, unless we must.

Mohoney
07-01-2004, 04:15 PM

I seem to remember this guy throwing BLAZING heat. Not that 94 won't get it done, though, if you mix in that slider.

Huisj
07-01-2004, 07:56 PM
I seem to remember this guy throwing BLAZING heat. Not that 94 won't get it done, though, if you mix in that slider.
I don't remember him throwing 97 ever either that I saw. Every scouting report i've read has said low 90s. Either way, he's real effective. He always looks like he's throwing harder on TV I think just because of the angle of the camera and his motion.

OEO Magglio
07-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Damaso has never been at 98 on the gun, he's always been around 93-94 and right now he's just flat out nasty he's been the damaso of the last 2 years lately. With Shingo and Politte both also pitching well the sox have a solid bullpen, I'd definitely like to get another reliever to fill in for jackson either via trade or the farm.

doublem23
07-01-2004, 08:10 PM
The only thing that worries me about Damaso is his history of left arm troubles. Even last year, he wore down at the end of the season and experienced severe dead arm. I am a little wary of how often Ozzie uses him; we really need his am to make a run at things. I cant' think of too many better lefty relievers.

OEO Magglio
07-01-2004, 08:19 PM
I cant' think of too many better lefty relievers.Billy Wagner, that's it.

bigdommer
07-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Damaso struck out Joe Mauer today with a 96 MPH heater. And that was the last batter in throwing two full innings.

The Baseball Tonight crew was commenting on Marte, saying that right now he has the best left arm out of any pen in baseball (Wagner has been hurt most of the year).

Damaso can bring it, he just dials it up in certain situations. With two strikes on a lefty, he will bring it top shelf. If he is 2-0 on a righty, he will take a little off and try to hit a spot.

Mohoney
07-02-2004, 12:52 AM
I don't remember him throwing 97 ever either that I saw. Every scouting report i've read has said low 90s. Either way, he's real effective. He always looks like he's throwing harder on TV I think just because of the angle of the camera and his motion.

With so much discrepancy in radar guns from park to park, we're probably both right.

I've seen a lot of his fastballs clocked at 94, too.

nitetrain8601
07-02-2004, 01:22 AM

His last pitch today was 96mph. How's that for your radar gun?

amace020
07-02-2004, 01:50 AM
The thing I like best about Damaso- he doesn't have to have the added "closer" pressure dropped on his shoulders. He can just concentrate on making good pitches, and in a situation like today where Ozzie wanted to give Shingo a break- Damaso has the ability to slam the door shut.

I know this is a comment about the Cubs- but it seems like their new closer Hawkins has been throwing a little less effectively once the "closer" job was thrust upon him. Hopefully his problems will continue through these next three games at Wrigley.

No more Koch! :D: