Brian26
06-30-2004, 10:47 PM
:winner

cheeses_h_rice
06-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Good going, Freddy. Congrats!

Brian26
06-30-2004, 10:48 PM
He finally got the run support he deserves.

Viva Magglio
06-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Another good job tonight, though I fear Freddy at USCF could throw a lot of gopher balls.

ndgt10
06-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Freddy didn't have his best night, but still had 9K's and 0 BB's. Most importantly, he got the W. Good going Freddy!:bandance:

RedPinStripes
Freddy's gotta love this team. Didnt pitch great after teh 4th, but still got a win after losing the lead twice.

All that matters is the Sox won and are going for a sweep tomorrow! :Rocker:

delben91
Shingo looked a bit shaky on the GameCast, but he was due for a "rough" outing and he still finished relatively unscathed.

Not a great night from Freddy it appears, but one start does not a season make.

Bottom line, Sox Win! And go for the sweep and a 2 game lead tomorrow!!

I love it.

HomeFish
I don't like how Mauer has Takatsu figured out.

ndgt10
06-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Another good job tonight, though I fear Freddy at USCF could throw a lot of gopher balls.
True, but then again, who doesn't throw gopher balls at USCF?

cheeses_h_rice
06-30-2004, 10:51 PM
The Twins have some guys who can absolutely pummel the ball around, so I'm not concerned about the dingers FG gave up tonight too much. So long as the Sox play decent defense and get 5-6 runs, the Sox should continue to do OK.

idseer
everyone got a hit except pinchrunner burke.

consider a message well sent!

great hitting! :D:

Iguana775
damn, what's up with Shingo?? he gave up a run! how dare he give up a run after 25+ innings!! I hope this is just an abberation and he hasn't been figured out.

But the Sox got the win and that's all that matters. :dtroll::dtroll:

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 10:52 PM
I guarentee you that next time Shingo is gonna throw a lot of changes his way

Unregistered
I don't like how Mauer has Takatsu figured out.*kick in the balls* :rolleyes:

Jerko
I'm not too worried about the home runs. Don't forget they have the air conditioners blowing out when the Twins bat................

owensmouth
Who impresses you more, Mauer or Prior?

ndgt10
06-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Prior

Realist
I saw that you had the last post and I clicked on this thread to see what you'd be bitching about.

:redneck

dpbyron
The AL has figured Shingo out!

Frater Perdurabo
06-30-2004, 10:54 PM
The Bad: Garcia gives up a few homers. Shingo gives up a dinger. :(:

The Good: Garcia allows zero walks. Offense keeps clicking without Maggs. :smile:

The Bottom Line: SOX WIN! FIRST PLACE! :bandance:

MRKARNO
While they may have less talent, the Twins clearly looked like the better team

idseer
Freddy's gotta love this team. Didnt pitch great after teh 4th, but still got a win after losing the lead twice.

All that matters is the Sox won and are going for a sweep tomorrow! :Rocker:
i agree about garcia. that's probably as bad as he'll be and he knows this team can still win it for him. he'll be in a better place next time out.

FarWestChicago
06-30-2004, 10:55 PM
I don't like how Mauer has Takatsu figured out.Is it your goal in life to make the most idiotic post on this board every day?

idseer
06-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Is it your goal in life to make the most idiotic post on this board every day?hey you gotta admire a guy who reaches his goals. :wink:

Nick@Nite
Great Sox win... with the series won, I hope the Sox don't look ahead to the Cubs... hopefully Ozzie will keep'm focused tomorrow.

A 3 game sweep is still better than winning 2 out of 3.

CWSGuy406
I don't like how Mauer has Takatsu figured out. Yeah - I mean, he's 2-2 against him. We should really start worrying!

:rolleyes:

AnkleSox
06-30-2004, 10:57 PM
The 3 homeruns given up by Freddy were a little disheartening, but the 9 Ks and his otherwise dominating performance, plus the fact that the twins cheat, make me think he'll be a solid starter, especially when he gets more settled in with the sox.

FarWestChicago
hey you gotta admire a guy who reaches his goals. :wink:Well there is that. Set stretch goals and accomplish them. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

idseer
Great Sox win... with the series won, I hope the Sox don't look ahead to the Cubs... hopefully Ozzie will keep'm focused tomorrow.

A 3 game sweep is still better than winning 2 out of 3.
unless you're jerry manuel.

doublem23
06-30-2004, 10:58 PM
That's kind of an unfair question because Prior has been in the MLB for a year and a half already and this is Joe's rookie year and he's already missed significant time due to injury.

That said, Prior has easily been more impressive, and probably will be his whole career, barring more injury trouble.

voodoochile
06-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Of course you don't... But then again, the Sox could win 10-1 on a complete game one-hitter with the run coming on a solo shot with 2-outs in the ninth and you still wouldn't have anything good to say...

No worries, I got it...

WOOOHOOO! SOX WIN! SOX WIN! FIRST PLACE BABY! SCREW YOU MINNESOTA AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!:D: :bandance: :supernana:

cheeses_h_rice
06-30-2004, 10:59 PM
Is it your goal in life to make the most idiotic post on this board every day?
*****!!!

FWC, you mean 2 at-bats isn't a sufficient sample size?

AOEllis
This was the first night in a long time that I have felt a tad bit nervous with Shingo in there, especially after the Jose Offerman single. He obviously is not used to throwing 2 days in a row because of the rare occasions since he was made closer that we have had a non-blowout lead late in the game on consecutive days. Knowing how the Twins are and how they play and approach the, they obviously spent a lot of time scouting Shingo and knowing his pitches and tendencies. He is a rookie, and is by no means a Gagne-type closer yet. He still has a lot to prove. We are definitley not looking at Cliff Politte as we do Shingo, and he has a 19-consecutive batters retired streak. This is still the honeymoon period for Shingo.

A disclaimer-- I love Shingo as much as anyone else. I am considering buying his jersey. I love to watch him pitch as much as anyone. But I also realize that, although a very well disciplined pitcher, a human being.

doublem23
Yeah - I mean, he's 2-2 against him. We should really start worrying!

:rolleyes:

LOL, I'm willing to wager that HomeFish didn't even know about that first hit when he posted that. Always got to find a drop of rain on a sunny day... :rolleyes:

Nick@Nite
06-30-2004, 11:02 PM
unless you're jerry manuel.LOL! I almost threw that in there, but didn't.:smile:

beckett21
06-30-2004, 11:06 PM
WOOOHOOO! SOX WIN! SOX WIN! FIRST PLACE BABY! SCREW YOU MINNESOTA AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!:D: :bandance: :supernana:
:notwinks

Overall nice job by Freddy, a few mistakes but good enough to get the job done.

No looking back from here!:smokin:

beckett21
06-30-2004, 11:11 PM
This was the first night in a long time that I have felt a tad bit nervous with Shingo in there, especially after the Jose Offerman single. He obviously is not used to throwing 2 days in a row because of the rare occasions since he was made closer that we have had a non-blowout lead late in the game on consecutive days. Knowing how the Twins are and how they play and approach the, they obviously spent a lot of time scouting Shingo and knowing his pitches and tendencies. He is a rookie, and is by no means a Gagne-type closer yet. He still has a lot to prove. We are definitley not looking at Cliff Politte as we do Shingo, and he has a 19-consecutive batters retired streak. This is still the honeymoon period for Shingo.

A disclaimer-- I love Shingo as much as anyone else. I am considering buying his jersey. I love to watch him pitch as much as anyone. But I also realize that, although a very well disciplined pitcher, a human being.
I won't say that I was nervous to see Shingo in there. I will say that the less the Twins get to see of him up close and in person, the better for now. Would have been nice to save him tonight, but Ozzie made the correct move since the game was still in striking distance.

No worries with Shingo. I'm not convinced he is human; he is a machine! :bandance:

SEALgep
06-30-2004, 11:13 PM
I don't like how Mauer has Takatsu figured out.Mauer had everyone figured out tonight. Sometimes you can't get out a guy who is just flat out hot. Besides, he guessed right on his two seamer. Hardly figuring him out.

MeanFish
06-30-2004, 11:14 PM
I have full confidence that Shingo will make whatever adjustments are necessary to keep Mauer-san at bay next time. He has been hit on two high fastballs...I'm sure that fact hasn't been lost on him. All we can do is stay tuned for now, for the most part though I'm optimistic.

minastirith67
06-30-2004, 11:16 PM

tool

:dtroll::dtroll:

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 11:19 PM
I don't like how Mauer has Takatsu figured out. :worship:http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/min.gif

SEALgep
06-30-2004, 11:19 PM
I have full confidence that Shingo will make whatever adjustments are necessary to keep Mauer-san at bay next time. He has been hit on two high fastballs...I'm sure that fact hasn't been lost on him. All we can do is stay tuned for now, for the most part though I'm optimistic.Ya I forgot to mention as well that Shingo has pitched a lot more fastballs his two outings versus the Twinkies. They are probably trying to keep the frisbee from being figured out. Mauer simply ran into a fastball that he was guessing on.

voodoochile
06-30-2004, 11:21 PM
tool

:dtroll::dtroll:
I think you left out the 'R'...

lowesox
06-30-2004, 11:22 PM
If any White Sox players read WSI: Congratulations guys! You've been playing hard lately and it's paying off. Congrats Freddy on your first win.

Philo-Sox-er
06-30-2004, 11:22 PM
We need to ride first place from here on out to the end...put same games between us. Make the Twinkies sellers, not buyers.

dcb33
06-30-2004, 11:34 PM
Don't forget the game wasn't even as close as it was if Jose doesn't boot that double play ball...

WSox8404
06-30-2004, 11:40 PM
I'm not too worried about the home runs. Don't forget they have the air conditioners blowing out when the Twins bat................
Ha. I know they do it. Why wouldn't they if they could get away with it. Bastards. Oh well, they must have forgot to turn if off whenever we came to bat.

CHISOXFAN13
06-30-2004, 11:41 PM

Why do I get the feelign that you won't like the way the Sox players pour champagne over their heads after clinching the division?

WSox8404
06-30-2004, 11:42 PM
unless you're jerry manuel.

Hilarious.....Rack him.....I'm out.

WSox8404
06-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Why do I get the feelign that you won't like the way the Sox players pour champagne over their heads after clinching the division?

Come on now. There is a right way to do that also.

Unregistered
06-30-2004, 11:51 PM
Don't forget the game wasn't even as close as it was if Jose doesn't boot that double play ball... Nah, the runner on first was pretty much on second when the ball got to Jose. His mistake was trying to make it a double play ball, and doing too much instead of just fielding it cleanly. They weren't getting the guy at second either way.

Dadawg_77
06-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Good game tonight.

This team is driven by the Big O and if you can stop that you can stop the Sox. Good thing that is hard to do.

5 runs, 9K and 0BB in 6 innings is a good line for a slight below average night, game score of 47. Another interesting this is Freedy got 7 ground ball outs to 2 fly balls out according the ESPN box score. The three bombs he gave are disturbing, but its only one game. Hopefully that doesn't become a habit.

Politte looked decent out there, maybe (hopefully) he is out of his funk.

Game Score: Start with 50 points. Add 1 point for each out recorded, (3 points per inning). Add 2 points for each inning completed after the 4th. Add 1 point for each strikeout. Subtract 2 points for each hit allowed. Subtract 4 points for each earned run allowed. Subtract 2 points for each unearned run allowed. Subtract 1 point for each walk

WSox8404
07-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Politte is starting to look good. I just hope he can maintain it. He is doing great in that 7th inning. Thats good cause Marte is good for the 8th and then you know who comes in in the 9th. SHINGO!!!

HebrewHammer
07-01-2004, 12:07 AM
:notwinks

OurBitchinMinny
07-01-2004, 12:07 AM
I was at the game. it was entertaining. I thought it would be more of a pitchers duel. Garcia pitched ok. He left a few balls up and got hurt. Twins fans suck though. They threw back all the sox HRs. I thought I was in wrigley. All in all, its great to be in 1st

kcsportscaster
07-01-2004, 12:36 AM
OH YEAH, DA SOX have a one game lead over the Twinkies after that
great 9-6 slugfest!!!! Outside of the three homers allowed, Garcia had a very good outing and knowing that he can get much more run support than he did with the Mariners had to have given him a boost of confidence to put together a good outing and know he had a chance to help DA SOX win. Also, great job by the offense Wednesday night lighting up Radke like the proverbial Christmas tree when they have had trouble with him in the past. The eight runs against Radke have to not only help them in the future against him, but give them even more momentum for Thursday's game.

Speaking of that game, Jon Garland MUST have a much better outing
than he had against the Flubbies last Friday. Even though the
hitting has been solid lately, Garland has to go deep into the game and shut down the Twinkies so that Ozzie can possibly give Shingo an off day. Unfortunately, as was the case with the 9-6 win Wednesday night, Thursday's game won't be available unless I access mlb.tv because of W-G-N's Flubbie lovefest, insisting on televising their next loss to the Astros instead of the Sox game with the Twinkies. They won't even televise DA SOX against the Flubbies on Friday either. What's up with that????

Later on,

Ken Coleman

GO SOX!!!!

Iguana775
07-01-2004, 12:38 AM
I was at the game. it was entertaining. I thought it would be more of a pitchers duel. Garcia pitched ok. He left a few balls up and got hurt. Twins fans suck though. They threw back all the sox HRs. I thought I was in wrigley. All in all, its great to be in 1st
That happened in the Cubs game i was watching this afternoon. Biggio hit a lead off homer and the chick that caught it had a bunch of guys saying throw it back....so she did. Sad....

TomC727
07-01-2004, 12:40 AM
I was at the game. it was entertaining. I thought it would be more of a pitchers duel. Garcia pitched ok. He left a few balls up and got hurt. Twins fans suck though. They threw back all the sox HRs. I thought I was in wrigley. All in all, its great to be in 1stI was at the game, too and was expecting a pitchers' duel. Twins fans do suck though. Half the stadium was clearing out before the 9th even started. Friendly fans I must say, and I sat near Loaiza's wife, very nice lady, she definately knows her baseball. Talked to her for about 20 minutes before the game.

flo-B-flo
07-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Lost in all the analysis is the fact that the Sox are playing VERY well. I mean the new pitcher gives up 3 bombs and they still come back for the W. Good teams pick each other up. When someone has a bad game, others step up to make the difference. Freddie Garcia will dominate games where the Sox don't go off for 9 runs. There are some negative issues that will matter but the overall view is one of optimism. Mauer, injuries aside is gonna be a heck of a player. Question : All things considered, would you take Prior or Mauer? I find some way to pay Prior.

skobabe8
07-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Dear Freddy,

Welcome to the South Side. This is just a taste of things to come.

Sincerely,

The Hitmen

minastirith67
07-01-2004, 01:22 AM
I think you left out the 'R'...

Trool?!?!

:wink::D::wink:

Rudy Law
07-01-2004, 02:25 AM
While they may have less talent, the Twins clearly looked like the better teamThe Sox looked great in this game(minus the error by Valentine. Both times the Twins tied the game, the Sox came right back the next inning to get it back. Then they had the 3 run 7th. I would check your TV connection guy.

Rudy Law
07-01-2004, 02:28 AM
unless you're jerry manuel.Great Post. Ruined the 2003 season!

StillMissOzzie
07-01-2004, 02:38 AM
Garcia was cruising the 1st 4 innings. That curve ball looked like it rolled off the table. Those HR's he gave up did concern me, though.I thought I had heard that he had given up only 8 taters before tonight, and that total jumps by 3. It's hard to tell how hard the ball Guzman hit to RF in the TwinkieDome really was, but those two HR's to center by Mauer & Koskie were bombs, easily clearing the 408' center field fence. Maybe we'll just chalk it up to being in the TwinkieDome, as the Sox had their HR sticks out, too.

It's a victory, we're in 1st place, and no matter what, the Sox will be in 1st when they cruise into the Urinal on Friday.

SMO
:gulp:

valposoxfan
07-01-2004, 02:39 AM
The Sox looked great in this game(minus the error by Valentine. Both times the Twins tied the game, the Sox came right back the next inning to get it back. Then they had the 3 run 7th. I would check your TV connection guy.
OK you're new so I'll save you from getting railed on...the teal color on the font means sarcasm so just check for that before you retaliate in a post like that. It will make your life a lot easier on this site.

Rudy Law
07-01-2004, 02:41 AM
OK you're new so I'll save you from getting railed on...the teal color on the font means sarcasm so just check for that before you retaliate in a post like that. It will make your life a lot easier on this site.I just figured that out> Sorry guys I am new to the site. I appreciate the rescue! Learning as I go:redface:

SSN721
07-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Fantastic game, good job boys. I am not worried about Garcia or Takatsu. Garcia had a lot of pressure on this game, new team, big game, I will give him a Mulligan because he looked quite dominating other than a few mistakes. Shingo was due to give up a run, even Gagne does it from time to time. I think Mauer is locked in and the exact same part of the Twins lineup got to see Shingo two nights in a row. That plus he wasnt throwing as much off speed/frisbees, did anyone notice one of his fastballs hitting 91 on the radar? Thought that was interesting, good to see. All in all great to take these first two, lets get that sweep. :bandance:

illiniwhitesox
07-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Garcia was cruising the 1st 4 innings. That curve ball looked like it rolled off the table. Those HR's he gave up did concern me, though.I thought I had heard that he had given up only 8 taters before tonight, and that total jumps by 3. :gulp:
This is not true! The Twins turned on the intake vents over outfield. Concurrently, they turned the fans on behind home plate. Those were just infield flies that were literally sucked out into the bleachers.

One of the homers was actually a BUNT and it still made it over the center field fence!

1951Campbell
07-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Don't forget the game wasn't even as close as it was if Jose doesn't boot that double play ball...
Thank you! It only took 46 posts until someone mentioned this.

Maximo
07-01-2004, 10:33 AM
At this moment in time, July 1, it sure does appear as if the Sox possess the characteristics that are common among championship teams. Enough solid frontline players combined with role players who all have made a contribution or two when it really mattered. We all knew Ozzie was going to have an effect on this team when he was hired....good or bad. That's the nature of his personality.
As one who was skeptical that Ozzie's influence would be positive, I must offer that I am truly amazed so far. The chemistry on this team right now is as good as what it has been in years.

Yeah....it's not only all right to be a Sox fan...........it's downright exhilarating!!