PDA

View Full Version : Gammons Prediction

AOEllis
06-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Peter Gammons, on June 30, 2004, at 17:15 CT, predicted that the WHite Sox will win the World Series. I am not sure if I like it, but at least we are getting attention.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 05:19 PM
:boston

"Did I say White Sox? I mispoke, I meant the Red Sox"

pudge
06-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks, Peter. We're screwed.

Paulwny
06-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Peter Gammons, on June 30, 2004, at 17:15 CT, predicted that the WHite Sox will win the World Series. I am not sure if I like it, but at least we are getting attention.
Damn, The Kiss of Death

A.T. Money
06-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Link?

dickallen15
06-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Anyone but Gammons. Its the kiss of death. We're screwed. Back up the truck.

Rex Hudler
06-30-2004, 05:28 PM
Gammons doesn't talk about the Sox, people bitch...... He praises them and people bitch..... scratching head on this one.....

dickallen15
06-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Gammons doesn't talk about the Sox, people bitch...... He praises them and people bitch..... scratching head on this one.....
I don't mind Gammons talking about the Sox. The problem is-his predictions are never accurate. I loved that he predicted a 3rd place finish before the season started.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 05:31 PM
It just goes to show that as a collective whole that White Sox fans will never be happy. If we won the World Series and still couldnt afford to keep Maggs then people would be bitching about how we should have kept him to put us in a position to win another one

Kadafi311
06-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Link?

AOEllis
06-30-2004, 05:41 PM
'Twas on SC.

johnny_mostil
06-30-2004, 05:50 PM
I don't mind Gammons talking about the Sox. The problem is-his predictions are never accurate. I loved that he predicted a 3rd place finish before the season started.
Gammons is The Conventional Wisdom of Baseball. What he tells you is what ten or fifteen GMs told him on the phone. This means that Baseball Insiders have anointed the White Sox as a major challenger. This is not a bad thing.

And remember the old saw: stopped clocks are right twice a day.

RKMeibalane
06-30-2004, 05:54 PM
The Sox are screwed now.

Rex Hudler
06-30-2004, 05:57 PM
But who's predictions are more accurate? All the talking heads are doing is the same thing fans are doing. They see changes and take a shot at what might happen. When you find someone that has a high success rate for pre-season or mid-season predictions, let me know...

ChiSox143
06-30-2004, 05:58 PM
World Series and Whitesox just doesn't seem like a perfect fit

jabrch
06-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Didn't Gammons pick the Cubs to win it all at the beginning of the season?

Frankfan4life
06-30-2004, 06:10 PM
The Sox are screwed now.No. Not until they're featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. :smile:
http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers/images/2003/0707_thumb.jpg

dickallen15
06-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Gammons is The Conventional Wisdom of Baseball. What he tells you is what ten or fifteen GMs told him on the phone. This means that Baseball Insiders have anointed the White Sox as a major challenger. This is not a bad thing.

And remember the old saw: stopped clocks are right twice a day.
Last year at the All Star Game, he predicted Brett Boone to win the homerun derby. Not only did Boone whiff a pitch, he hit exactly zero over the wall. He also said that if the NL took a late lead, the game was over because of their bullpen. Hank Blaylock, wrong again. He also predicted the Cubs to win the WS at the beginning of the year, I believe.

dickallen15
06-30-2004, 06:14 PM
On the other hand, one of his predictions has to come through eventually.

mantis1212
06-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Last year at the All Star Game, he predicted Brett Boone to win the homerun derby. Not only did Boone whiff a pitch, he hit exactly zero over the wall. He also said that if the NL took a late lead, the game was over because of their bullpen. Hank Blaylock, wrong again. He also predicted the Cubs to win the WS at the beginning of the year, I believe.
and KC to win our division.

kojak
06-30-2004, 06:16 PM
The bandwagon is fueled up and on its' way, effective Sunday night.

Moronotti doesn't count since he is flaccid windsock, so I think with Gammons' comments we can say that the bandwagon is now officially accepting jumpers-on.

This is gonna be one awesome ride!!!!! :cool:

The season of our life starts tonight!!!

Nard
06-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Let's sweep Minny and then the Flubs up in Wrigley and then we'll be getting some real national attention.

StillMissOzzie
06-30-2004, 06:22 PM
It just goes to show that as a collective whole that White Sox fans will never be happy. If we won the World Series and still couldnt afford to keep Maggs then people would be bitching about how we should have kept him to put us in a position to win another one
But not until the three-week bender wore off and the hangover kicked in!

SMO
:gulp:

Kadafi311
06-30-2004, 06:25 PM
Christ I didn't realize White Sox fans were such Zen Masters. Who gives a rats ass what Gammons predicts. I'm glad to hear he thinks we're a good team.

Gammons thinking we're a good team translates to exposure, exposure translates into popularity, popularity translates into filling seats, filling seats translates into a larger payroll budget, a higher payroll budget translates into better players, better players translate into post-season births.

Fate, predictions and full moons don't mean a GD thing. It's all about what transpires out between the lines, boys.

munchman33
06-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Let's sweep Minny and then the Flubs up in Wrigley and then we'll be getting some real national attention.
ALA 2000, when we swept the Yankees and Cleveland in the same week. We were recognized as the best team in baseball then. Be nice to see it again. We so rarely get the spotlight.

valposoxfan
06-30-2004, 07:04 PM
ALA 2000, when we swept the Yankees and Cleveland in the same week. We were recognized as the best team in baseball then. Be nice to see it again. We so rarely get the spotlight.
This is good and all, but just remember this is the same team that is under .500 for the month and just one week ago many on here were starting to write this team off. I'm happy about what Gammons said, but need some more time before I believe that this is a contender.

owensmouth
06-30-2004, 07:07 PM
but need some more time before I believe that this is a contender.
I don't.

Iguana775
06-30-2004, 07:37 PM
Well, i am going to pretend to not hear that and go on his prediction that we will finish last...or whatever he said to start the year. lol.

now kick some Twinkie butt!!

chisoxfan4life
06-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Christ I didn't realize White Sox fans were such Zen Masters. Who gives a rats ass what Gammons predicts. I'm glad to hear he thinks we're a good team.

Gammons thinking we're a good team translates to exposure, exposure translates into popularity, popularity translates into filling seats, filling seats translates into a larger payroll budget, a higher payroll budget translates into better players, better players translate into post-season births.

Fate, predictions and full moons don't mean a GD thing. It's all about what transpires out between the lines, boys.

I totally agree with all that you said.

Mohoney
06-30-2004, 09:31 PM
But not until the three-week bender wore off and the hangover kicked in!

SMO
:gulp:

Only 3 weeks? My bender would be until at LEAST Thanksgiving, and might be extended depending on what the Bears record is and how they do in Big D that day.

doublem23
06-30-2004, 09:34 PM
See? Look what happened to them. Kiss of death. May as well break this team up.

Kadafi311
07-01-2004, 10:06 AM
We're not even to the All-Star break yet :whistle:

illiniwhitesox
07-01-2004, 10:16 AM

More post-season births translates into a peaceful transition in Iraq, a peaceful transition in Iraq traslates into world peace, world peace translates into a higher GNP.......

Can't you see that the White Sox is imperative to the future of the human race

daveeym
07-01-2004, 10:19 AM
It just goes to show that as a collective whole that White Sox fans will never be happy. If we won the World Series and still couldnt afford to keep Maggs then people would be bitching about how we should have kept him to put us in a position to win another one Damn straight they should. I'm with everyone else on this one, after the hangover wears off if Reinsy pulls a 97 marlins (or whatever year) and folds i'd be pissed.

DSpivack
07-01-2004, 10:30 AM
More post-season births translates into a peaceful transition in Iraq, a peaceful transition in Iraq traslates into world peace, world peace translates into a higher GNP.......

Post-season births or berths? Because when the Sox win, I'm sure 9 months after, let's see, that would be July 2005, there'd be a lot of "post-season births"!!!

Kadafi311
07-01-2004, 10:30 AM

Higher GNP translates to longer life expectancy, longer life expectancy translates to grumpy old people, grumpy old people translates to increased early bird specials, increased early bird specials translate to longer lines, longer lines translate to people in the streets, people in the streets translate into riots, riots translate to anarchy, anarchy translates to global destruction.

Gammons is evil. Quite Mr. Burns-like.

WhteSox725
07-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Maybe we need to blow up a cardboard cut out of Gammons to counteract the "Gammon's Curse." Afterall look how well blowing up things have working for the Flubs.