PDA

View Full Version : This year's team better than last year's?

JRIG
06-30-2004, 04:51 PM
It's all about winning. Had that team won, there would have been some buzz and increased attendance. However, I think this team with Garcia has a much better chance to win than that team with everett+Alomar. Therefore we have a much greater chance to get the increased attendance & revenues that can start to take this team to being a true major market franchise.
This is purely opinion, but I think even with Garcia last year's team was much stronger than this year's. The Twins aren't as good, which means the playoffs may be a more attainable goal. Is Guillen the difference this year? I guess we'll find out. But unless Crede turns it on, somebody steps up or is acquired to catch, and the bullpen rounds into shape, I think last year's team was stronger.

But, of course, I hope I'm wrong. :D:

Flight #24
06-30-2004, 05:09 PM
This is purely opinion, but I think even with Garcia last year's team was much stronger than this year's. The Twins aren't as good, which means the playoffs may be a more attainable goal. Is Guillen the difference this year? I guess we'll find out. But unless Crede turns it on, somebody steps up or is acquired to catch, and the bullpen rounds into shape, I think last year's team was stronger.

Really? You think last year's team is better? I'm interested in your thought process. Here's how I see it for the team as it will be once Maggs comes back.

Rotation:
04 Buehrle > 03 Buehrle
Garcia = Colon
04 Loaiza < 03 Loaiza
04 Garland > 03 Garland
Rauch/Diaz/Shoney > Various Chumps, mostly Danny Wright
04 pen = 03 pen
Shingo = Gordon / Marte

Pitching staff - Improvements this year by Garland, Buehrle, and the 5th outweigh the drop in performance by E-Lo.

Lineup:
Harris/Uribe = Alomar (Robbie's better defensively, Willie offensively)
Rowand = Everett
04 Frank = 03 Frank
04 Maggs > 03 Maggs
04 Lee < 03 Lee
04 Val > 03 Val
04 Konerko > 03 Konerko
04 Crede = 03 Crede
Burke/Alomar/Davis < Olivo/Alomar

Similarly, Lee and C are worse, but we are better off with the improved Val & Konerko. Maggs is also looking better than last year (pre-injury, of course).

Now factor in that we'll likely have other moves that improve this team and I think we will be MUCH improved over last year.

JRIG
06-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Rotation:
04 Buehrle > 03 Buehrle
Garcia = Colon
04 Loaiza < 03 Loaiza
04 Garland > 03 Garland
Rauch/Diaz/Shoney > Various Chumps, mostly Danny Wright
04 pen = 03 pen
Shingo = Gordon / Marte

Pitching staff - Improvements this year by Garland, Buehrle, and the 5th outweigh the drop in performance by E-Lo.
Loaiza last year was lights out. We have no one to match his performance this year. Buehrle this year is about the same as Buehrle last year, at least the way he pitched in the 2nd half. And Garcia is probably equal to Colon, maybe a slight step down.

I'd take last year's bullpen in a heartbeat. Gordon, Marte, Wunsch, Schoney, and Sullivan (down the stretch) is a pretty big improvement on Takatsu, Marte, Adkins, Jackson, Politte, and Cotts.

Lineup:
Rowand = Everett
04 Frank = 03 Frank
04 Maggs > 03 Maggs
04 Lee < 03 Lee
04 Val > 03 Val
04 Konerko > 03 Konerko
04 Crede = 03 Crede

Uribe is an upgrade at 2B. Frank is better, as is Konerko. Valentin too. But Crede is playing worse (unless he turns it on in the 2nd half like last year), the catching situation is currently a disaster, and Lee is worse than last year too. Everett can't hit LHP, Rowand can't hit RHP. Since the team is likely to face more RHP, I'll take Everett. And Mags isn't any better than he was last year.

The lineup is very similar in terms of quality. But I'll take last year's pitching staff top to bottom without a doubt.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 05:30 PM
Uribe is an upgrade at 2B. Frank is better, as is Konerko. Valentin too. But Crede is playing worse (unless he turns it on in the 2nd half like last year), the catching situation is currently a disaster, and Lee is worse than last year too. Everett can't hit LHP, Rowand can't hit RHP. Since the team is likely to face more RHP, I'll take Everett. And Mags isn't any better than he was last year.

The lineup is very similar in terms of quality. But I'll take last year's pitching staff top to bottom without a doubt.
Crede is turning it around just like he did last year. Lee is low on power at this point, but there's nothing saying he cant hit 15 second half home runs. Rowand can platoon with Timo, who can hit RHP very well. The catching situation is about the same as it was last year. The difference between the Konerko of last year and the Konerko of this year is unspeakably big. Valentin is also much more of a force. Uribe/Harris is much better at 2b than Roberto/DuhAngelo. Thomas has been getting on base much more. It's a better lineup and I think the fact that we are the best offense in baseball by Runs scored and equivilent runs scored proves that. The pitching is deeper this year and I think June was a slump, not a trend from our pitchers. I guess your opinion of this team depends on whether or not you think June was a slump or a trend.

JRIG
06-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Crede is turning it around just like he did last year. Lee is low on power at this point, but there's nothing saying he cant hit 15 second half home runs. Rowand can platoon with Timo, who can hit RHP very well. The catching situation is about the same as it was last year. The difference between the Konerko of last year and the Konerko of this year is unspeakably big. Valentin is also much more of a force. Uribe/Harris is much better at 2b than Roberto/DuhAngelo. Thomas has been getting on base much more. It's a better lineup and I think the fact that we are the best offense in baseball by Runs scored and equivilent runs scored proves that. The pitching is deeper this year and I think June was a slump, not a trend from our pitchers. I guess your opinion of this team depends on whether or not you think June was a slump or a trend.
I don't mean to sell the offense short -- it's been tremendous so far. I don't see Uribe and Harris keeping it up however, and Crede's turnaround is necessary. I disagree -- the catching situation is brutal right now, worse than last year. And pitching -- well it's a difference of opinion. I think last year was much deeper top to bottom.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 05:44 PM
I disagree -- the catching situation is brutal right now, worse than last year.
Well we had the Olivo/Alomar thing going last year too. Alomar will end up being about the same, but Burke I would guess would be better than Miguel was last year with his .237 avg and .287 OBP with 6 homers and only 21 RBI in 114 games. Burke hits for average to right field, which is about what we want from the 9 hole. The only reason that it seemed better was because Olivo was developing

Champs2004
06-30-2004, 05:51 PM
For some odd reason i have that same feeling that we can win it all, just like last year, but are we actually better, now that Ozzie's runnin things?

jordan23ventura
06-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Lineup:
Rowand = Everett
04 Frank = 03 Frank
04 Maggs > 03 Maggs
04 Lee < 03 Lee
04 Val > 03 Val
04 Konerko > 03 Konerko
04 Crede = 03 Crede
What very well may be the most significant difference is the 2004 bench is a vast improvement over the bench in 2003, and the addition of Uribe makes up for the loss of Graffanino about 5 times over.

patbooyah
06-30-2004, 07:49 PM
:jerry < :ozzie

A.T. Money
06-30-2004, 08:00 PM
We're better this year because we are hitting this year.

pudge
07-01-2004, 02:52 AM
Talent wise, we're practically on the same level as last year. If you're trying to compare position-by-position, I don't see much of a difference, if anything we're in better shape this year because Shingo has finally replaced Koch, and we now have a 5th starter, which we NEVER had last year.

To say last year's team was better is baffling.

mmmmmbeeer
07-01-2004, 03:12 AM
:jerry < :ozzie
That sums it up beautifully. Had JM been canned in May of last season I'm convinced we would have won the division last year.

gosox41
07-01-2004, 09:55 AM

I think talentwise last years team was better. But I didn't expect Guillen to make as much of an impact as he has with his attitude and getting players into the game. We all knew JM was lousy but I didn't realize how bad.

Bob

LASOXFAN
07-01-2004, 10:56 AM
:bkoch:
"Bet you miss me. Check out my numbers in Florida baby!"
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6218/gamelog

daveeym
07-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Hell NO. Maybe at the beginning of the season but right now this team is much better. OZZIE big reason. Winning cures a lot. Everybodies roles are defined = happy players. 1 year wiser and more experienced for willy, crede, rowand, and even uribe. All four of those players now are getting comfortable, knowing they're not getting sent back to the minors and once again know their roles and expected playing time. BP is a little worse right now but politte seems to be coming around and I think we'll be getting some help shortly.

Dice
07-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Talent wise, we were better last year. Alomar, Everett played a big part in our resurgence on offense in the second half. The bench was strong with muti-position playing Graffanino. And with Colon on the staff it move Garland down to his natural 4th spot in the rotation. But the biggest difference in talent from last year to this is is the bullpen. We had Gordon, a hot Marte, Schoenneweis and Sullivan. Now mind you, we still had Koch but he could have easily been dumped and still had a strong bullpen.

Chemistry-wise? This year by a longshot. We've got guys on this team who will run through a wall for Ozzie. Whereas last year guys wouldn't walk down the street and get a pack of cigarettes for Jerry.