PDA

View Full Version : Tonight and Tomorrow

owensmouth
06-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Whether or not the Twins are willing to admit it, tonight and tomorrow are critical games for the Twins. Going back to 2000, if there was one thing the Twins could rely upon, it was the White Sox inability to win at the Metrodome. Suddenly, that advantage seems to be in jeoprady.

The Twins and the White Sox play ten games this year at the baggie dome. The Sox have now won four of the first five. The Twins can tell themselves that in the first three losses they were playing with a lineup of irregulars, due to the injuries that sent so many to the DL.

Not so this series. The Twins have only one regular (Shannon Stewart) unavailable, and he is matched by Magglio being out.

The Twins have Radke and Santanna pitching for them and they both have been very tough on the Sox.

If the Twins don't win today and tomorrow, they could be in real trouble. The victories in the Metrodome have been the difference between the Twins or the White Sox winning the Central Division. A victory in either game guarantees the White Sox at least a split in this year's series. Two wins and the White Sox will have won at least six games and the Twins annual advantage will be history.

DaveIsHere
06-30-2004, 01:01 PM
I am still calling for us to sweep them and hit a nice winning streak, which we havent had all season. I really think that we may have a few game lead by the allstar break and then really take off after that.

Tekijawa
06-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Is it OK for me to say that I think our big Free Agent Priority for next season should be Santana.... that guy is Young and has some NASTY stuff. Imagine this Rotation

Buehrle
Garcia
Loaiza
Santana
Garland

SICK

DaveIsHere
06-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Is it OK for me to say that I think our big Free Agent Priority for next season should be Santana.... that guy is Young and has some NASTY stuff. Imagine this Rotation

Buehrle
Garcia
Loaiza
Santana
Garland

SICK
WOW!!!!!!!!!:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

owensmouth
06-30-2004, 01:16 PM

Buehrle
Garcia
Loaiza
Santana
Garland

SICK
How about Radke? He's on the third year of a three year contract, I think.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 01:24 PM
This is a very big game for the Twins. If they lose, they will have gone 1-5 against the White Sox in their own house with still 6 or 7 games left in Chicago, where the White Sox have been scoring like insane maniacs this year. The Twins have relied on the White Sox inablility to win in Minnesota, among other things and that dome field advantage seems to be slipping away from Minny. Garcia faces Radke. Ace pitcher against ace pitcher. If their ace loses, then they're in big trouble. If ours loses then it's not the worst thing in the world, but I fully expect the White Sox to score at least 4 runs tonight and I dont think Garcia, Marte and Takatsu would combine to give up that many. Twins lose and we can guarentee being in first when we leave. Our schedule is easier than theirs too for the rest of the year.

34 Inch Stick
06-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Well, Loiza, just like Magglio will not be here at the end of next year. Unfortunately Santana will be a guy looking for a 4-5 year contract. The arm problems he had at the end of last year/beginning of this year will keep the Sox from being in his market.

I predict the rotation in 06 will look more like

Garcia
Buhrle
Garland
Cotts
Rauch

HomeFish
06-30-2004, 01:30 PM
The Twins dominated us at the Cell, though. Perhaps the pattern has reversed?

Flight #24
06-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Well, Loiza, just like Magglio will not be here at the end of next year. Unfortunately Santana will be a guy looking for a 4-5 year contract. The arm problems he had at the end of last year/beginning of this year will keep the Sox from being in his market.

Garcia
Buhrle
Garland
Cotts
RauchI have a VERY hard time believeing that we won't have either E-Lo or Maggs. I don't see any reason for payroll to do anything but go up (and reports of JR's cheapness are highly exaggerated). If we do lose both, it'll be because someone gave them more than we think they're worth or because they just wanted to play somewhere else. in which case I have full confidence that we'd go get someone else.

Especially if we come off of a good playoff run, there's little to no chance of having a relatively questionable rotation like that next year (IMO).

I really believe that this organization is turning the corner in terms of attendance, revenues, and results on the field. Ozzie's impact in driving this team forward and generating excitement cannot be overstated because that's prompted management to spend more, which is pushing attendance higher and (hopefully) starting a virtuous cycle.

Hokiesox
06-30-2004, 01:34 PM
I am still calling for us to sweep them and hit a nice winning streak, which we havent had all season. I really think that we may have a few game lead by the allstar break and then really take off after that.
Didn't you read last week's prognostication on this board that we would be down by 5 games? What rock have you been under? :bandance: :bandance:

Tekijawa
06-30-2004, 01:38 PM

Garcia
Buhrle
Garland
Cotts
Rauch
So with the 20+ million that we have available next year if Maggs is the only one to leave (I'm assuming that we wouldn't sign Koch as a FA again for the same ammount of money and Valentin will probably be back for maybe a fraction of the cost) we will not go out and get another decent Pitcher... I would be very supprised!

CHISOXFAN13
06-30-2004, 01:39 PM
The Twins dominated us at the Cell, though. Perhaps the pattern has reversed?

How did the Twins dominate us exactly? They won 3-2, 4-1 and lost 11-0. That is hardly domination.

HomeFish
06-30-2004, 02:16 PM
How did the Twins dominate us exactly? They won 3-2, 4-1 and lost 11-0. That is hardly domination.

They won two games out of three. That's the way the Twins dominate you, not with offensive explosions or shutouts.

If we don't figure out a way to hit Radke, that's the way they're going to dominate us this series.

34 Inch Stick
06-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Flight and Tek, my post says '06. If the Sox sign Garcia for next year, I think they lose Loiza. That is not as big of a deal because the Sox would like to see one of there young pitchers win a spot (Cotts, Rauch or Diaz). I predict that person will be Rauch. In '06 Schoenweiss will be dealt the same fate with either Cotts or Diaz stepping up to take that spot. I also think Garland will progress to the point that we are very happy with him as a third starter.

bigdommer
06-30-2004, 03:38 PM
I agree! Domination, either by runs scored or 2 of 3 games, is pretty far fetched.

CHISOXFAN13
06-30-2004, 05:01 PM
They won two games out of three. That's the way the Twins dominate you, not with offensive explosions or shutouts.

If we don't figure out a way to hit Radke, that's the way they're going to dominate us this series.

We have destroyed Minnesota pitching this seaosn. If any team is dominating another in this season's series it's certainly the beloved.

Wearing your Radke jersey tonight, Home?

owensmouth
06-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Another stake is pounded into the heart of the Twins. Sox now lead the baggy dome version of the series 5 - 1. Let's do it again tomorrow!

WSox8404
06-30-2004, 11:14 PM
Don't forget who is making this post. And you are right. That is not domination.

owensmouth
07-01-2004, 03:04 AM
What is domination? What the Twins have done to us in the past two years at the baggie dome pretty well qualifies as domination. We have won four out of nineteen games. The Twins have had a good team, built for their enclosure. I believe that the change in the carpet has hurt them. The field turf is closer to a normal (grass) surface. The ball doesn't move as quickly, or bounce as high as on the previous astroturf.

The Twins have lost that advantage, and are forced to play a more normal baseball game.

Wednesday the White Sox played a very impressive game of offensive baseball. Hitting to all fields, keeping within themselves, taking what was offered from one of the more frustrating pitchers in the game. This bodes well for the future.

For the Twin, without their astroturf advantage, a bleak future awaits them.

But let us not forget, last year at roughly the same time, the Twins seemed to be headed downward. It was in July that they made the trade that reinvigorated them, getting Shannon Stewart from the Blue Jays.

Could another trade do the same thing? I think not. After Thursday's game, the White Sox only visit the Metrodome for three more games. In the past, it has been the Metrodome games, especially the late ones that have made the Twins the central division champs. This year, there are not enough late ones to make the difference.

The Twins television says that the way to the central division championship is through the Metrodome... It appears that the White Sox got the message.