PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Burke in first Twins game

soxtalker
06-30-2004, 07:43 AM
This is really a question. I only heard about an inning on the radio, and I didn't see any of the game on TV. How did Jamie Burke do in his catching duties last night? Miguel didn't call pitches, and I'm guessing Jamie didn't either. What about any throws to bases, which was one of Miguel's strong points? Any other aspects of defense? I know that this is only one game, so I'll probably ask again.

zach23
06-30-2004, 08:41 AM
This is really a question. I only heard about an inning on the radio, and I didn't see any of the game on TV. How did Jamie Burke do in his catching duties last night? Miguel didn't call pitches, and I'm guessing Jamie didn't either. What about any throws to bases, which was one of Miguel's strong points? Any other aspects of defense? I know that this is only one game, so I'll probably ask again.

There were not many Twins base runners, so there were no attempted steals. The guys in the infield were the busiest defensively last night with all the ground balls that MB induced.

SEALgep
06-30-2004, 10:28 AM
He caught well. Kept Buerhle's pace up, whether he actually called it or not, called a good game. Except for that pop out bunt, I thought he had a real good game.

Mohoney
06-30-2004, 03:31 PM
He caught well. Kept Buerhle's pace up, whether he actually called it or not, called a good game. Except for that pop out bunt, I thought he had a real good game.

I actually blame Ozzie more than Burke for that bunt. The guy has been red hot. The runner was already in scoring position. The double play situation was negated. I say let him swing.

You have three chances to get a hit to score the runner. Why give away the out if the double play is already negated? If it was a leadoff walk or leadoff single, then you definitely bunt, but the guy was already on second with nobody out.

Still, Burke has got to execute Ozzie's gameplan and get a good bunt down, so I'm not going to say he's completely blameless. I just don't agree with the decision.

TomC727
06-30-2004, 03:35 PM
I attended the game at the Metrodome and Burke looked real good in warm-ups, at the plate, and behind it. I sat right above the Twins dugout about 3 rows up and he looked really good from where I was. I will be there tonight, also to see Freddy pitch, same seats, just behind the Sox dugout this time.

Soxzilla
06-30-2004, 03:40 PM
I actually blame Ozzie more than Burke for that bunt. The guy has been red hot. The runner was already in scoring position. The double play situation was negated. I say let him swing.

You have three chances to get a hit to score the runner. Why give away the out if the double play is already negated? If it was a leadoff walk or leadoff single, then you definitely bunt, but the guy was already on second with nobody out.

Still, Burke has got to execute Ozzie's gameplan and get a good bunt down, so I'm not going to say he's completely blameless. I just don't agree with the decision.
Because had he laid down the bunt. The drive off of timo's bat would have scored crede from third. But I understand where your coming from. You also have to realize that it's a tad more common to drive in a run off of a sac fly than get a hit, especially against a good pitcher like silva (Even though he isn't no "Cy" mays;)).

Eitherway, I agree with ozzie's call to bunt, whether or not it worked out. Hindsight is 20/20:).