PDA

View Full Version : More deals coming.....

WSox8404
06-29-2004, 11:59 PM
Well folks, this is not it. Getting Freddie is great and all, but this is not where it stops. I have a very, very close source to the situation, and I talk to him frequently. He told me that the Sox aren't done yet. I asked him who and when, but the only thing he told me was July. No names, no nothing. Just July. He told me he knew all along about the Garcia trade, its just that he couldn't say anything. So hold on folks, we are going to see some more shortly. And when you ask yourselves, "Who is this source?", just take my word for it. He is very close to the Sox organization. He is to be believed.

doublem23
06-30-2004, 12:02 AM
All right man... Hope you're right.

P.S., don't feel bad if you get roasted. Everyone does when they say they have an unnamed source around here.

CWSGuy406
06-30-2004, 12:03 AM
Well, considering July 31st is the Trading Deadline, I'd think that if Kenny made anymore moves, it would be in July. :tongue:

Unless it happened tommorow... :o:

WSox8404
06-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Well, considering July 31st is the Trading Deadline, I'd think that if Kenny made anymore moves, it would be in July. :tongue:

Unless it happened tommorow... :o:
Ha. I get the point. To clarify, when I asked him whether they would come in the next few days, he said no. Around two weeks was his first answer, then he said July. So the middle of July was what he was getting at. So don't expect anything in the next few days. It will take a little while. But again, I know some of you may roast me, but I know someone near the very top of the organization. I don't want to give his title away, but let's just say he talks with papa Jerry quite a bit.

lowesox
06-30-2004, 12:15 AM
Well, I for one hope the major dealing is over. I've yet to see Kenny make a large-scale trade without screwing it up. Little deals for bullpen arms would be appreciated though - as long as he doesn't give up Borchard or Crede, that is.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 12:15 AM
Well it is interesting, but it's not really news. Everyone knows KW is never done dealing until Bud Selig says to stop. If we get Maggs healthy and we can trade him for Jones and Ortiz while sending Rauch or Diaz so that the Braves pay a nice potion of Jones' salary, then you do it.

WSox8404
06-30-2004, 12:19 AM
Well it is interesting, but it's not really news. Everyone knows KW is never done dealing until Bud Selig says to stop. If we get Maggs healthy and we can trade him for Jones and Ortiz while sending Rauch or Diaz so that the Braves pay a nice potion of Jones' salary, then you do it.
I think so too. But Paulie could be another possibility. We were shopping him before the year too, and now that he is hot......

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-30-2004, 12:21 AM
All right man... Hope you're right.

P.S., don't feel bad if you get roasted. Everyone does when they say they have an unnamed source around here. Just ask cheeses_h_rice :D:

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 12:25 AM
I think so too. But Paulie could be another possibility. We were shopping him before the year too, and now that he is hot......
But Konerko is signed through 2005, unlike Maggs.

SEALgep
06-30-2004, 12:28 AM
KW made it no secret that he has a couple things in the works, but it's more reassuring hearing that. If he talks to JR, maybe what he knows is more money will be available. That would certainly make other moves more probable. :bandance:

lowesox
06-30-2004, 12:40 AM
Why would you want to make that trade? The Garcia trade pretty much means it's going to be this season or never. The only benefit to dealing for Jones and Ortiz is that you get guys for next year. At this point, all we can do is keep Ordonez and hope Kenny's gamble wasn't foolish.

If we don't win this year, I think we should 'retool' next year.

SEALgep
06-30-2004, 12:47 AM
Why would you want to make that trade? The Garcia trade pretty much means it's going to be this season or never. The only benefit to dealing for Jones and Ortiz is that you get guys for next year. At this point, all we can do is keep Ordonez and hope Kenny's gamble wasn't foolish.

If we don't win this year, I think we should 'retool' next year.What makes you think any deal will involve Maggs? This may be the Kendall speculation or some other deal involving prospects.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 12:51 AM

If we don't win this year, I think we should 'retool' next year.
Getting Ortiz would mean sending Schoenweis back to the bullpen. A rotation of Garcia, Buehrle, Loaiza, Ortiz and Garland would be excellent and would show us going for it more than stoubburnly keeping Maggs. We can score without Maggs the past few weeks has proven and having Andrew jones in center will prevent a few runs too on defense. Jones would be a decent 7 hitter in our lineup as well. Think of it this way:

Rowand
Uribe
Thomas
Lee
Valentin
Konerko
Jones
Crede
Alomar/Burke

Buehrle, Garcia, Ortiz, Loaiza, Garland ?

or

Rowand
Uribe
Maggs
Thomas
Lee
Valentin
Konerko
Crede
Alomar/Burke

Buehrle, Garcia, Loaiza, Garland, Schoeneweis ?

It's a matter of preference, but I'd certainly rather have a guy who's been to the World Series like Ortiz than Garland starting in a playoff game and Garland would be the best AL fifth starter and we'd have the deepest AL rotation. Pitching wins and we have the offense already without Magglio.

hawkjt
06-30-2004, 12:55 AM
Bullpen help ,yes but no to moving Maggs. He is the kind of hitter that could carry us for a stetch in September. He will be fresh and strong and could have a great second half. Jones would be a big drop and Ortiz might not beat out Schoeny when he returns. He is a luxury we can not afford. Get a tough right-hander for the bullpen. Maybe a lefty catcher like Zaun if Davis cannot get it done at all.

jcirish85
06-30-2004, 12:57 AM
Well folks, this is not it. Getting Freddie is great and all, but this is not where it stops. I have a very, very close source to the situation, and I talk to him frequently. He told me that the Sox aren't done yet. I asked him who and when, but the only thing he told me was July. No names, no nothing. Just July. He told me he knew all along about the Garcia trade, its just that he couldn't say anything. So hold on folks, we are going to see some more shortly. And when you ask yourselves, "Who is this source?", just take my word for it. He is very close to the Sox organization. He is to be believed.ya, i have some sources too. i'll double check it and make sure its right.

StockdaleForVeep
06-30-2004, 01:51 AM
Its possible the diaz\rauch trade rumors may be whats fueling this. Call it convient timing they come up month before trade deadline and are showing they actually know how to throw a baseball. Im thinking KW may be keepin his word and teams may be interested in rauch, just depends how much they value him at. I just hope any trade that happens doesnt involve a starting player on our lineup. Schoenweis i would say goodbye to, because i cant see him returning to form.

soxtalker
06-30-2004, 07:23 AM
Well, I for one hope the major dealing is over. I've yet to see Kenny make a large-scale trade without screwing it up. Little deals for bullpen arms would be appreciated though - as long as he doesn't give up Borchard or Crede, that is. I agree with you, though I'd say that the Colon acquisition was a success. (I'm in the minority in not being happy with the Garcia trade, but time will tell whether it is a success.) In general, I'm much more comfortable with KW's minor trades. Of course, there's less at risk in these. But he does seem to have a knack for picking out some diamonds in the rough. So, I hope these aren't major trades. However, it sounds like they will be ...

Clembasbal
06-30-2004, 07:40 AM
What ever it ends up being, I will not be happy unless it is a solid middle reliever. We need somebody other than Jackson and Cotts in the pen, they are too shaky.

Hate me for this, but I would love to see the Sox go out and get Farnsworth from the Cubs. But, any other solid middle reliever would do...BJ Ryan, or maybe so guy who is having a solid year that we haven't heard much about (Middle relievers are not well known).

If we trade Mags to Hotlanta...I would like to see Jones and Smoltz.

jabrch
06-30-2004, 07:55 AM
But Konerko is signed through 2005, unlike Maggs.
for 9mm, right? That's a lot of money... Now he's been worth it so far this season, but we have seen him have good halves before. Let's hope this is the real PK, not just another 1/2 season like he has done before.

jabrch
06-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Why would you want to make that trade? The Garcia trade pretty much means it's going to be this season or never.

Huh? You mean the entire future of the Sox franchise was hitched to Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivo? I don't think so. Next year our team will be very similar to this year. Borchard has more upside than Reed to be a middle of the order hitter. We still have plenty of OFs in the minors. And as far as Miguel goes - I just don't see losing him as the end of all hope for this team for the future.

Kilroy
06-30-2004, 08:08 AM
Well, I for one hope the major dealing is over. I've yet to see Kenny make a large-scale trade without screwing it up. Little deals for bullpen arms would be appreciated though - as long as he doesn't give up Borchard or Crede, that is.
If there's going to be anyone off the ML roster, Crede is the one person I wouldn't have a problem seeing in a deal. Not that I don't like him, but he's slow, and his bat is suspect. With Rowand, Harris, Uribe, and Valentin all playing the way they have this year, Crede's playing time should be taking a hit. Uribe should be playing there.

Malgar 12
06-30-2004, 09:08 AM
If there's going to be anyone off the ML roster, Crede is the one person I wouldn't have a problem seeing in a deal. Not that I don't like him, but he's slow, and his bat is suspect. With Rowand, Harris, Uribe, and Valentin all playing the way they have this year, Crede's playing time should be taking a hit. Uribe should be playing there.
While Crede bat has been slow to come around he's hitting over .300 in June, and his defense (at 3B) is better than Uribe's. His playing time did take a justifiable hit earlier in the year, but anybody who thinks he should be traded or sit now is not thinking clearly. Wille Harris' speed is nice, but the guy can't hit. Playing him regularly over Crede would be a mistake. Harris has never seen a soft ground out he didnt like.

Flight #24
06-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Well folks, this is not it. Getting Freddie is great and all, but this is not where it stops. I have a very, very close source to the situation, and I talk to him frequently. He told me that the Sox aren't done yet. I asked him who and when, but the only thing he told me was July. No names, no nothing. Just July. He told me he knew all along about the Garcia trade, its just that he couldn't say anything. So hold on folks, we are going to see some more shortly. And when you ask yourselves, "Who is this source?", just take my word for it. He is very close to the Sox organization. He is to be believed.
OK, here's how I read this (assuming it's true).

- Mid-late July means deals at the deadline
- We're going for it THIS year
- JR has authorized additional salary for this year, supposedly even "significant"

To me , all of those say - we're finally ready to take advantage of the small market teams ala Cubs-Pirates last year and take on high salaried players from non-contending teams. Our needs: Middle Relief and Catching. Expensive middle relievers often get dealt at the deadline for fringe prospects to free up cash. Catching: Not sure what we'd do, but Kendall really make a ton of sense if Maggs is gone anyway. Eating the salary lets us not give up any significant prospects.

Tekijawa
06-30-2004, 09:35 AM
I heard that there are a couple of teams that will make deals by the end of July, I'm not going to give up any of my sources but it a person VERY CLOSE to someone who is in the know...

Where's Otis?

Mickster
06-30-2004, 09:35 AM
OK, here's how I read this (assuming it's true).

- Mid-late July means deals at the deadline
- We're going for it THIS year
- JR has authorized additional salary for this year, supposedly even "significant"

To me , all of those say - we're finally ready to take advantage of the small market teams ala Cubs-Pirates last year and take on high salaried players from non-contending teams. Our needs: Middle Relief and Catching. Expensive middle relievers often get dealt at the deadline for fringe prospects to free up cash. Catching: Not sure what we'd do, but Kendall really make a ton of sense if Maggs is gone anyway. Eating the salary lets us not give up any significant prospects.
Generally what I was thinking.

Philo-Sox-er
06-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Article about this in Daily Herald:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=38168140

The article sucks. But read down the email he got from "Dick Allen".

Mohoney
06-30-2004, 09:50 AM

I'll make you a deal. Don't give me names, but can you give me a hint as to what position(s) are being discussed?

Randar68
06-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Getting Ortiz would mean sending Schoenweis back to the bullpen. A rotation of Garcia, Buehrle, Loaiza, Ortiz and Garland would be excellent and would show us going for it more than stoubburnly keeping Maggs. We can score without Maggs the past few weeks has proven and having Andrew jones in center will prevent a few runs too on defense. Jones would be a decent 7 hitter in our lineup as well. Think of it this way:

Rowand
Uribe
Thomas
Lee
Valentin
Konerko
Jones
Crede
Alomar/Burke

Buehrle, Garcia, Ortiz, Loaiza, Garland ?

or

Rowand
Uribe
Maggs
Thomas
Lee
Valentin
Konerko
Crede
Alomar/Burke

Buehrle, Garcia, Loaiza, Garland, Schoeneweis ?

It's a matter of preference, but I'd certainly rather have a guy who's been to the World Series like Ortiz than Garland starting in a playoff game and Garland would be the best AL fifth starter and we'd have the deepest AL rotation. Pitching wins and we have the offense already without Magglio.
Rowand hitting leadoff? We need to get you an official FOC membership card.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Rowand hitting leadoff? We need to get you an official FOC membership card.
Well I figured that's what it would look like based on how they were hitting now, but he'd probably end up equally sharing the leadoff spot with TImo and Harris.

iftypofixit
06-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Our needs: Middle Relief and Catching. Expensive middle relievers often get dealt at the deadline for fringe prospects to free up cash. Catching: Not sure what we'd do, but Kendall really make a ton of sense if Maggs is gone anyway. Eating the salary lets us not give up any significant prospects.
Why does everybody believe we need catching so bad? Sandy and Burke have been playing good baseball. Sandy has been in the playoffs before, granted he is old, but he still can play the game when his time is divided.

gobears1987
06-30-2004, 10:55 AM
My bet is the deal will be to get Kendall from the Pirates.:bandance:

iftypofixit
06-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Middle Relief > Catcher

I do think a Kendall sounds good, but if KW makes one deal, a middle relief pitcher is key. A pitcher whom has expierence.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Middle Relief > Catcher

I do think a Kendall sounds good, but if KW makes one deal, a middle relief pitcher is key. A pitcher whom has expierence.
I have many good ideas for middle relief that dont involve trades:

1. Diaz
2. Rauch
3. Jose Santiago from AAA
4. Jeff Bajeneru from AA
5. Courtney Duncan from AAA

in that order

lowesox
06-30-2004, 11:20 AM
You know what, if we're going for it all this year, the guy to get is John Smoltz. I'm worried about Takatsu fading as the season goes on (because teams will have seen his stuff more & because I don't think he's had a workload this size in the japanese leagues). Bring in Smoltz to close and use Takatsu and Marte in the 7 & 8th. Then have Cotts and Adkins in the earlier innings - and I'd try bringing up Bajeneru as another option.

Of course, I'd only want Smoltz if we could get him without dealing away from the ML Roster.

habibharu
06-30-2004, 11:25 AM
You know what, if we're going for it all this year, the guy to get is John Smoltz. I'm worried about Takatsu fading as the season goes on (because teams will have seen his stuff more & because I don't think he's had a workload this size in the japanese leagues). Bring in Smoltz to close and use Takatsu and Marte in the 7 & 8th. Then have Cotts and Adkins in the earlier innings - and I'd try bringing up Bajeneru as another option.

Of course, I'd only want Smoltz if we could get him without dealing away from the ML Roster. i have heard that smoltz wants to finish his career in ATL, so he would probably veto a trade here

Flight #24
06-30-2004, 11:30 AM

Of course, I'd only want Smoltz if we could get him without dealing away from the ML Roster.
I highly doubt we'd get Smoltz without giving up an ML player or another top prospect. He's not that high salaried, and given his status with the org, I don't see them dealing him to save $$$.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 11:35 AM

I dont think we can make a move to get Smoltz without giving up too much. Plus he is owed a crapload of money. We'd probably have to enter a large-scale bidding war. Takatsu most probably isn't going to get figured out and entirely blow up. He changes speeds effectively (89 MPH fastball to 59 MPH changeup along with a few 70ish MPH pitches) and he locates his fastball very well. He is very good at getting groundballs and he can also strikeout overly agressive players too. The only way to get him is to be overly agressive right from the get go because he can figure out a batter an pitch to their level of aggressiveness. I would be shocked if he ended up with a higher than 3 ERA this year. Absolutely Shocked and I think he can post a 1.6-1.7 like Marte did last year and I think Marte will end up posting a 2.2-2.3.

Our biggest need is still starting pitching I believe. The slump from our starting pitching this month and the blown saves by Billy Koch are the only thing seperating us from being a team with a record to challenge the Yankees. If June proves to be a slump for the starters and Diaz and Rauch are effective in relief, then I really dont see any glaring holes in this team. This is looking like it's our year again as it was about a month ago.

gobears1987
06-30-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm not worried about Takatsu's work load. He was getting over 30 saves a year in Japan. His work load is actually much less here.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 11:37 AM
I highly doubt we'd get Smoltz without giving up an ML player or another top prospect. He's not that high salaried, and given his status with the org, I don't see them dealing him to save $$$.
Smoltz is making 11 million this year and the team option for next year is for 12 million

Randar68
06-30-2004, 11:40 AM
then I really dont see any glaring holes in this team.
*COUGH* *CHOKE* Catcher *COUGH*

When Sandy has his usual "needs rest for 2 weeks" stint in August, you're going to run Ben Davis and Jaime Burke out there exclusively?

*shudder*

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 11:40 AM
I'm not worried about Takatsu's work load. He was getting over 30 saves a year in Japan. His work load is actually much less here.
http://japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=310

Takatsu's Japanese League stats

He pitched 42 and 41.2 innings respectively in 2003 and 2002. He has pitched 29 already this year, but I still dont think it will make that big of a difference

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 11:43 AM
*COUGH* *CHOKE* Catcher *COUGH*

When Sandy has his usual "needs rest for 2 weeks" stint in August, you're going to run Ben Davis and Jaime Burke out there exclusively?

*shudder*
Well clearly we have an offensive hole at catcher, but I think defensively and game calling wise that Alomar and Burke will do a passable job this year. Our offense is still the best in baseball even with a Jamie Burke and Ben Davis in there. OK, so it could be better, but I dont think we have any debilitating holes for the most part

Tekijawa
06-30-2004, 11:52 AM
You know what, if we're going for it all this year, the guy to get is John Smoltz. I'm worried about Takatsu fading as the season goes on (because teams will have seen his stuff more & because I don't think he's had a workload this size in the japanese leagues).
Smoltz has been around for what 16 years? Takatsu has been around for 26.1 innings? Who do you think that they are more likely to have seen their stuff before? Takatsu isn't a rookie that is getting by on shear luck, this guy is a SEASONED VETERAN who has been doing this for probably as long as Smoltz over in JAPAN... THEY NEVER FIGURED HIM OUT OVER THERE, why should I believe that they'll figure him out over here? I don't understand this HE WILL BURN OUT SOON LOGIC!

Petch
06-30-2004, 11:53 AM
My bet is the deal will be to get Kendall from the Pirates.:bandance:

I only want Kendall if the Pirates eat a significant portion of his salary and if he can be aquired without giving up a starter.

jabrch
06-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Smoltz is making 11 million this year and the team option for next year is for 12 million

That option next year vests if he pitches in 60+ games. And next year he said he wants to be a starter.

SEALgep
06-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Middle Relief > Catcher

I do think a Kendall sounds good, but if KW makes one deal, a middle relief pitcher is key. A pitcher whom has expierence.Maybe it will be a package of Kendall and Jose Mesa.

WSox8404
06-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Well clearly we have an offensive hole at catcher, but I think defensively and game calling wise that Alomar and Burke will do a passable job this year. Our offense is still the best in baseball even with a Jamie Burke and Ben Davis in there. OK, so it could be better, but I dont think we have any debilitating holes for the most part
The only hole seems to be the lack of a true leadoff hitter. Harris is slumping, and Uribe is not the best choice for the top of the order. Rowand doesn't seem to get it done there either. I say get Kendall and put him at the top.

SEALgep
06-30-2004, 11:59 AM
The only hole seems to be the lack of a true leadoff hitter. Harris is slumping, and Uribe is not the best choice for the top of the order. Rowand doesn't seem to get it done there either. I say get Kendall and put him at the top.Kendall would probably be in the two hole on our team.

WSox8404
06-30-2004, 12:01 PM
Kendall would probably be in the two hole on our team.
So do we address the leadoff spot? I say we have too.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 12:03 PM
That option next year vests if he pitches in 60+ games. And next year he said he wants to be a starter.
Well I have serious doubts about his ability to pitch 150-200 innings as a starting pitcher. I just dont think it makes sense for this team to go out and get a closer when what we need is a righty setup guy. Marte and Takatsu arent going to be blowing a lot of leads. Shingo's ERA since April 23rd is Zero (this essentially works to exclude the Yankee games). Marte's ERA since April 11th is 1.85 (0 ip 3 ER the only appearance before that against the Royals). Takatsu and Marte have been totally dominant at the end of the bullpen. They're right up there with Gagne and Mota, Gordon and Rivera, Rincon and Nathan, Otsuka and Hoffman, Donnely and Rodriguez and Foulke and Williamson. We just need a better bridge to Takatsu and Marte than Politte, who has been getting the job done lately and might be able to continue to get the job done, but it's a better bet that he doesnt. Diaz and Rauch might be dominant out of the bullpen, so that's always an option.

SEALgep
06-30-2004, 12:05 PM
So do we address the leadoff spot? I say we have too.I think we're okay there, a lot better than other teams.

Randar68
06-30-2004, 12:08 PM
While ideal at #2, I'd make him the lead-off man in a heart-beat. He'd be the best option in a land-slide, unless Willie turns it back up here. However, I wouldn't mind seeing Kendall/Uribe/Maggs/Thomas/CLee/Konerko/Jose/Crede/CF-platoon(Willie/Timo/Rowand). Speed at top and bottom with power in the middle

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 12:09 PM
The only hole seems to be the lack of a true leadoff hitter. Harris is slumping, and Uribe is not the best choice for the top of the order. Rowand doesn't seem to get it done there either. I say get Kendall and put him at the top.
I think we do have a true leadoff hitter in Harris, but the fact is that we have better options than allowing Harris to play through his slump such as playing Rowand and Timo in the leadoff role until Harris proves that he can hit again. Maybe he can't? Rowand and Timo can still share the leadoff role in a platoon. They both can hit very well in a platoon. They both at least have decent speed. Both of them are more aggressive than the ideal leadoff man, but if they can get on base, then it doesnt matter all that much.

Kendall is overpriced and unless the pirates want to eat a lot of his contract in exchange for Rauch or Diaz and a mediocre prospect, then we probably should use our efforts to acquire him. I dont really see him ending up here anyways.

Lip Man 1
06-30-2004, 12:33 PM
John Smoltz was interviewed in the print edition of The Sporting News this week. He said he told the Braves he will be starting next season, that he gave his word to the Braves that he would only work out of the bullpen for 3 years and that he intends to stick to his word.

He said it's not doing his arm any good because he never knows for sure when he's going to have to pitch (as opposed to starting every 5th day). You can read the interview on page 43.

As far as Sox needs, you can still make a case for another starter, relief help, catching, center field, a left handed bat, and more experienced bench help.

Take your pick.

I personally think Williams is not done.

Lip

Philo-Sox-er
06-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Here's an interesting blurb from an article at http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-thesecondhalftrading&prov=fanball&type=fantasy:

Several big names have been floated, notably Randy Johnson (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/4288/) to the Yankees and a blockbuster Andruw Jones (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5681/)-for-Magglio Ordonez (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5889/) swap between the Braves and White Sox. Personally, I don't see either happening. Big Unit has a no-trade clause, he's already got a ring, and the Yankees probably don't have enough great young talent to convince the Diamondbacks to part with him. Meanwhile, Maggs is the identity of the South Siders and it would be silly to send him away just as they appear to be turning the corner in their battle for relevancy with their cross-town rivals.

And later it says:

Russ Ortiz (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5954/), P, Braves — For the first time in recent memory, the Braves are sellers instead of buyers. Ortiz is in his walk year and has been mentioned as part of the Ordonez/Jones deal with the White Sox. More likely, Ortiz will end up on the South Side in exchange for Jon Rauch (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6620/) and another prospect or two—that is, if the acquisition of Garcia hasn't depleted the ChiSox of young talent with which they're willing to part. Of course, the Sox aren't the only team looking for pitching, and though Ortiz often struggles to find the plate he's got enough upside that there could be a bidding war for his services.

lowesox
06-30-2004, 01:01 PM
I don't understand this HE WILL BURN OUT SOON LOGIC!
Well, it comes from the fact that, as KARNO reported, Takatsu has pitched 42 and 41.2 innings respectively in 2003 and 2002. And all I said was that I was worried about it happening.

It's funny, I had a Kenny Williams debate on here a few months ago with somebody who kept saying 'well how was Kenny to know that this scenario or that scenario was going to play out?' about several different trades that backfired. The thing is, a GM has to think about everything. Takatsu's workload in the past should be a giant red flag to our GM. He'd better have a decent backup plan.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 01:15 PM
He'd better have a decent backup plan.
Damaso Marte

longshot7
06-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Well, it comes from the fact that, as KARNO reported, Takatsu has pitched 42 and 41.2 innings respectively in 2003 and 2002. And all I said was that I was worried about it happening.

don't forget the Japanese postseason. In my best Johnny Depp-from Pirates of the Caribbean-voice:

he's Mr. Zero!

lowesox
06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Damaso Marte
Yeah, I love Marte. But I think to be in healthy shape for the playoffs you need 3 killer arms. We need one more.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I love Marte. But I think to be in healthy shape for the playoffs you need 3 killer arms. We need one more.
Totally agreed. We need one more setup guy, but not a closer.

Mohoney
06-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Huh? You mean the entire future of the Sox franchise was hitched to Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivo? I don't think so. Next year our team will be very similar to this year. Borchard has more upside than Reed to be a middle of the order hitter. We still have plenty of OFs in the minors. And as far as Miguel goes - I just don't see losing him as the end of all hope for this team for the future.

I think a huge chunk of the future WAS hitched to Reed and Olivo. I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment that these trades signal the beginning of a full-scale WIN NOW plan of attack.

DSpivack
06-30-2004, 04:59 PM
I think a huge chunk of the future WAS hitched to Reed and Olivo. I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment that these trades signal the beginning of a full-scale WIN NOW plan of attack.
Which hopefully is not just another midseason addition one but a long-term, offseason, re-signing-our-own-free-agents one.

lowesox
06-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Totally agreed. We need one more
setup guy, but not a closer.
When I say closer, I don't necessarily mean that they will be the closer for us. I'm fine with having Shingo as the closer. The thing is, usually a closer is the best pitcher in the bullpen - and I believe that Shingo and Marte are closer-caliber. And so should be the third guy we acquire.

Since Kenny's decided to throw caution to the wind and put all our eggs in this season's basket - let's get the best arm out there.

johnny_mostil
06-30-2004, 05:52 PM
White Sox fans would have a cow over Kendall's defense.

johnny_mostil
06-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Yes and no. The White Sox obviously rate Brian Anderson as the CF of the future at this point, and he is hitting the living heck out of the ball at Winston-Salem (.319 with a .531 SLG). LTP's stock is up a lot, too.

Don't count Davis out. He's a complete miserable failure, but he was a very high draft choice and he's been in the majors forever. He's a project. Think Chad Kreuter.

mendozaln
06-30-2004, 06:32 PM
Don't count Davis out. He's a complete miserable failure, but he was a very high draft choice and he's been in the majors forever. He's a project. Think Chad Kreuter.
Chad Kreuter? That's supposed to be a happy thought?

Lip Man 1
06-30-2004, 07:10 PM
From The Sporting News print edition this week (pg. 48) by Ed Eagle who covers the Bucs for TSN: "Jason Kendell continues to show why he is the most durable catcher in the game. He has caught nearly every inning since mid-May, but it has not affected his hitting, and he is playing the best defense of his career."

Lip

ChiSox1906
06-30-2004, 09:59 PM
I say the best move would be getting Ortiz from Atlanta for Rauch and prospects. Kendell would be nice but pitching is much more valuable. We also need to keep Maggs because are lineup is better than ever with him, I could see players such as Konerko Lee Valentine that our hot right now getting cold in the 2nd half, however maggs is consistent and I think we need to keep him this year even though he might leave anyway

jabrch
06-30-2004, 10:53 PM
We can win now and not give up the entire future. To say the future is hitched to Reed (when he is hitting .275 this season) is somewhat surprising. Olivo is good, a very talented catcher, but not a Joe Mauer type of hitter. He has potential to be a guy like Lieberthal - at best. Never a Pudge (either one) type guy.

My point is that we can win now, and still win next year. Did we give up some of the future? SURE WE DID - that's the price you pay in trades like that. Did we dump the entire farm system and put all our eggs in 2004 - no way.

jabrch
06-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Since Kenny's decided to throw caution to the wind and put all our eggs in this season's basket - let's get the best arm out there.
That's absolutely assinine.

gosox41
07-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Well I have serious doubts about his ability to pitch 150-200 innings as a starting pitcher. I just dont think it makes sense for this team to go out and get a closer when what we need is a righty setup guy. Marte and Takatsu arent going to be blowing a lot of leads. Shingo's ERA since April 23rd is Zero (this essentially works to exclude the Yankee games). Marte's ERA since April 11th is 1.85 (0 ip 3 ER the only appearance before that against the Royals). Takatsu and Marte have been totally dominant at the end of the bullpen. They're right up there with Gagne and Mota, Gordon and Rivera, Rincon and Nathan, Otsuka and Hoffman, Donnely and Rodriguez and Foulke and Williamson. We just need a better bridge to Takatsu and Marte than Politte, who has been getting the job done lately and might be able to continue to get the job done, but it's a better bet that he doesnt. Diaz and Rauch might be dominant out of the bullpen, so that's always an option.
'Closer' and 'Set up man' are just titles or labels. The desperately need one more releive who can consistently get people out.

If we were to get Mota, I can care less if he pitches the 7th,8th or 9th. If the Sox decide to use a combo of Mota, Shingo, and Marte at the end of games it doesn't matter to me who gets the last 3 outs. What matters is that the Sox would have 3 quality arms coming out of the pen.

Bob