PDA

View Full Version : how are the twins winning games?

kittle545feet
06-30-2004, 12:42 AM
ya know watching the game tonight i kept asking myself how the twins keep winning ball games? their pitching staff is decent at best and some of the position players i have never heard of. cuddyer, retrovich, mauer, and so on. seriously, look at their team. am i crazy to wonder how they win? maybe its a huge compliment to gardenhire, to get a lot with a little. :?:

StockdaleForVeep
06-30-2004, 02:36 AM
ya know watching the game tonight i kept asking myself how the twins keep winning ball games? their pitching staff is decent at best and some of the position players i have never heard of. cuddyer, retrovich, mauer, and so on. seriously, look at their team. am i crazy to wonder how they win? maybe its a huge compliment to gardenhire, to get a lot with a little. :?:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/austinwm/HTLM/Photos/T/The_Godfather/Papa_Shango_-_Charles_Wright_03.jpg
(whats eerie is his music just started when i started searchin for his pic)

fquaye149
06-30-2004, 08:18 AM
they have a lot of "grinders" as kenny says.

also, while you might not have heard of mauer, most people have. cuddyer is also a reasonable player.

their squad isn't as bad as all that. they just don't have a lot of power.

plus they play excellent defense and while there's fewer superstars, there's no glaring holes like our centerfield or middle relief (or 5th starter)

ma-gaga
06-30-2004, 11:27 AM
ya know watching the game tonight i kept asking myself how the twins keep winning ball games?
They score one more run than their opponent.

What?

No really. You can look at run differentials and eras, and hitting, but they really "play to the score" well. They have gotten blown out in several games, so MKARNO calls them overacheiving, and to a point he is correct. But they get into tight games, and they win them by outlasting their opponents. The Boston series is a great example, they were outscored, but won two of three IN BOSTON. They even had a lead, lost it in the 7th, then scored an unearned run off of Foulke in the 10th to win the game.

Luck/Mojo has some to do with it, I'll easily grant that, but they make their own breaks. They do the whole, aggressive running thing, they play defense, they catch some breaks.

Their lineup is terrible. Cuddyer is a butcher in right field. But he's servicable at second base, go figure. Restovich is a kid who's been shuttling between AAA and MLB, Mauer is a rookie, you may have heard of him before. The rest of the lineup is just bad, with a couple of exceptions with L.Ford, a healthy Koskie, and ... that's it. Jones/Hunter/Rivas/Guzman are undisciplined and are hackers. LeCroy is decent, but he really hasn't gotten consistant playing time. They have a couple of 'veteran hitters' in Offerman and Blanco.

On a daily basis, they have up to 6 holes in their lineup. How they've won is kind of mystifying to me as well. I guess sometimes people forget to throw J.Jones sliders and he'll occasionally crush them.

ugh. Now I'm depressed. Thanks... :gulp:

34 Inch Stick
06-30-2004, 11:43 AM
They have good pitchers in Silva, Santana and Radke. They play great defense. They NEVER give up (if I see them win another game after the 7th I am going to puke). They have decent speed at every position to put pressure on teams late in games. They win at home.

MRKARNO
06-30-2004, 11:58 AM
It seems like that if you dont have one of the top bullpens in the league, it's very tough to put the Twins away. They chip away and then take advantage when the opposing team puts in a bad pitcher. They always seems to convert on the sac fly. They have big innings which start with infield singles all the time. Runner on 3rd, 2 out? No problem, they got the runner home a lot more often than most. LeCroy pinch hitting? 3 home runs in 3 at bats. Teams always seem to commit a higher level of errors than normal agaisnt the Twins, often at critical moments. Nathan is unhittable for the most part and Rincon is pretty damn good too. Rincon's record of 8-3 is envied by many starting pitchers. BRadke and Santana are pretty darn good, especially Santana who is one of the best pitchers in baseball if he's on. No one else has the success we have against Silva.

Right now their lineup is really struggling and they dont have the pitching to get them over the hump, so either the offense picks up or the Twins are going to fade. The Twins have also played the 3rd easiest schedule in all of major league baseball while the White Sox have played the 12th best. The Twins will play a difficult 2nd half schedule while the Sox will play an average to easy one.

The Twins are a team of overacheivers, but that's really not a knock on them, but a testament to their ability to get it done with less talent. This year, the talent disparity is just too big for the Twins to overcome. The Twins are overperforming their Pythag W/L by 5 games and they're still not in first. The Sox are underperforming and slumping and they are in first. This probably is not the Twins year this year. You can say that the Twins got it done last year all you want, but they are a worse team without Hawkins, Guardado, Rogers and Pierzynski, while Konerko's, Thomas's and Valentin's resurgences make us better than last year though that might be offset by Loaiza being worse. Last year we were 40-42 about this time and 3.5 back. This year we're 40-33 and in first by percentage points. It's a different year and we're going to get it done this year.

Lip Man 1
06-30-2004, 01:48 PM
They play the game the way it's supposed to be played and they have a lot of guys who came up through the minor leagues together so they know each other and what each one of them will do in a particular situation on the field.

Also I think they still have that chip on their shoulder because of the possible contraction.

Lip

DaveIsHere
06-30-2004, 02:11 PM
How do the Twins win games?? Well they win sometimes because at the end of 9 innings they have scored more runs than their opponent. :cool:

eshunn2001
07-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Easy, They made a deal with satan.. FLICKERS!!!!!!!!!