PDA

View Full Version : Yea that team of Frank Catalennatos is getting JP...

Tragg
06-30-2004, 12:07 AM
Ricciardi a bunch of pennants.

Eventually this will settle down.

Just watching this show on ESPN

mantis1212
06-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Ricciardi a bunch of pennants.

Eventually this will settle down.

Just watching this show on ESPN
I saw that "Between the Lines" What crap Moneyball is. As Hawk says, "three aces makes any GM look like a genius."

Dadawg_77
06-30-2004, 02:29 PM
I saw that "Between the Lines" What crap Moneyball is. As Hawk says, "three aces makes any GM look like a genius."
lol, calling something crap and then quoting Hawk as evidence is funny.

As for the Jays, a team where its three biggest stars are struggling and or hurt, is going to look bad no matter what. If Wells, Delgado and Halladay were playing up to their levels the Jays would be a lot better off.

mantis1212
06-30-2004, 03:03 PM
lol, calling something crap and then quoting Hawk as evidence is funny.
What I found funny is when the author (Michael Young was the name I think) was preaching how to "beat the Yankees with a third of the payroll". Because Beane has been stomping the Yankees.

Hondo
06-30-2004, 03:11 PM
What I found funny is when the author (Michael Young was the name I think) was preaching how to "beat the Yankees with a third of the payroll". Because Beane has been stomping the Yankees.
It's Michael Lewis..He is a douche but that doesn't detract from the fact that by using things like Sabermetrics in a smart way you can improve on a limited budget.

danjames
06-30-2004, 04:10 PM
I don't think the problem with the blue jays is that they have a "bunch of frank catalanotto's" I'm not even sure they HAVE a bunch of frank catalanottos, as Frankie C is hitting .327 with with 23 RBIs. If Toronto had a 1-9 hitting .327, something tells me they wouldn't be too upset.

The problem with toronto is their bullpen, which is horrendous. the onus will be on J.P. to get some bullpen help over the off-season. If he doesn't, then you can shout at him all you want, but give me Frank Catalanotto any day, thanks.

DrummerGeorgefan
06-30-2004, 05:48 PM
that doesn't detract from the fact that by using things like Sabermetrics in a smart way you can improve on a limited budget.
I agree. I believe sabermetrics is a good way to compare players before going after them or finding some potential somewhere. I believe that you need to spend and get top names and get butts in the seats to start the bankroll. Then let it ride from there.

DSpivack
07-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Sabermetrics surely isn't the end-all-be-all, and of course it has helped Beane to have three aces. That said, I also believe it can be an effective tool for a GM on a budget, a la Beane and Oakland. He is prone to mistakes like everyone else, and may not be the best in baseball, but then again I don't know who is. He is one of the best, though. I really am interested to see how Paul DePodesta institutes Sabermetrics on a large-market scale [does Theo Epstein use this method, or does he just hire Bill James as an adviser?].