PDA

View Full Version : Sox to sell fan deck to ticket groups.

Blueprint1
06-29-2004, 11:31 PM
This idea sucks. What was great about the Fan Deck is that anyone could sit up there if they like. Now only people in groups get to use it.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-29-2004, 11:37 PM
the white sox think of something brilliant and then turn around and ruin it. i never had the chance to sit in the seats up there but now i know i never will.

doublem23
06-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Are they going to close it off completely or will you just be able to buy tickets to there specifically? And if so, how big does a group have to be to qualify? The idea, IMO, really only sucks if the Sox are only letting people sit up there unless they buy like 20 tickets to do so. If a couple of buddies can just by tickets to the Fan Deck, that's not so bad, because it just frees up more tickets for the lower bowl for others.

Blueprint1
06-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Wills said on the radio show that they will be selling tickets for groups up to 100 to sit in the fan deck. He mentioned food service and how great it would be. Thats the extent to which he went into it.

SaltyPretzel
06-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Way to ruin a good thing. :(:

CubKilla
06-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Wills said on the radio show that they will be selling tickets for groups up to 100 to sit in the fan deck. He mentioned food service and how great it would be. Thats the extent to which he went into it.Looks like the FanDeck will be empty Wednesday-Friday.

Close off the FanDeck if a group has bought for the game at hand. If no buyers, open it up.

:reinsy

"I gotta come up with ways to sign Garcia at seasons end. Selling tix to the FanDeck to groups of 100 or more is just one of my more genius of ideas."

HebrewHammer
06-30-2004, 12:13 AM
The fan deck was my favorite spot to sit on half price nights, does anyone know when this is going to take effect? Next season right? Right?

cheeses_h_rice
06-30-2004, 12:21 AM
We need a tag of Reinsdorf unloading both barrels of a shotgun into his feet...

Way to **** up a good thing, Sox. "Fan deck," my ass.

:rolleyes:

LuvSox
06-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Another bull**** idea from the White Sox. This must be their way to make up for Dollar Dog Thursdays. Stupid.

WSox8404
06-30-2004, 12:46 AM
I can't believe it. Its not like there are no people up there now. Way to go JR.

inta
06-30-2004, 03:05 AM
I didn't hear the announcement, but couldn't it be you guys are leaping to conclussions?

I can't imagine the sox closing off the fan deck if no parties reserve it. why would they want that thing empty during broadcasts?

:?:

SSN721
06-30-2004, 07:38 AM
Its unbeleiveable how dumb this orgainzation is at times, if this is true. I sit there every half price night, it is such a great place to watch the game. Total bull**** if they actually do this. I would rather they didnt have half price nights to keep it open. Such a bunch of crap. I really hope this isnt true, way to ruin a fantastic feature of the park. :angry: :angry: :angry:

SaltyPretzel
06-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Does anyone have Brooks Boyer's email address so we can tell them what we think?

BeerHandle
06-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Does anyone have Brooks Boyer's email address so we can tell them what we think?

This is from an old thread of mine. This is his general email. He does read the comments because he has responded to some of mine.

GREAT IDEAS!
Brooks Boyer, the White Sox new vice president of marketing, is looking for your ideas! What would you like to see during your next trip to U.S. Cellular Field? Let us know! E-mail whitesoxbaseball@whitesox.mlb.com with your suggestions.
E-mail whitesoxbaseball@whitesox.mlb.com here>> http://lists.mlb.com/u/429766/9449549

Jerko
06-30-2004, 09:39 AM
I often wondered about "renting" the fan deck when it first opened. I always thought it would be cool to have it for a group outing. Looks like it took the Sox 2 seasons (and 2 PR directors) to figure it out. You KNOW if they can start charging for it that sooner or later this would happen.

BeerHandle
06-30-2004, 09:47 AM
I often wondered about "renting" the fan deck when it first opened. I always thought it would be cool to have it for a group outing. Looks like it took the Sox 2 seasons (and 2 PR directors) to figure it out. You KNOW if they can start charging for it that sooner or later this would happen.
My friends and I are were thinking the same thing while we were at the game Sunday.

GoSox2K3
06-30-2004, 09:52 AM
I hope the Fan Deck remains open to the rest of us for most games. It's very popular, but will become meaningless to most fans if most people can never access it. Sort of like the Stadium Club - a great amenity, but only for a select few.

If the Sox want to improve group outing options and experiences, why don't the let fans stay in the patio area during the game? I'm sure fans would love that. Plus it would look great on TV (think ballpark image to the general public) compared to the empty look it now has.

daveeym
06-30-2004, 11:38 AM
I hope the Fan Deck remains open to the rest of us for most games. It's very popular, but will become meaningless to most fans if most people can never access it. Sort of like the Stadium Club - a great amenity, but only for a select few.

If the Sox want to improve group outing options and experiences, why don't the let fans stay in the patio area during the game? I'm sure fans would love that. Plus it would look great on TV (think ballpark image to the general public) compared to the empty look it now has.
What they should do for the Patio is keep it how it is now, rent it out for groups with tix in the park for the games and the patio before, then offer cheap patio only tix for people to come in during the game.

RustyKuntz
06-30-2004, 11:51 AM
I sat in the Patio Area for the first time last month. It sucks.

BeerHandle
06-30-2004, 12:01 PM
I love the Patio Party area.

Here is the preliminary information on the Fan Deck. They are still working out some more details.

There is a minimum requirement of 150 people, $50 per person without food and $90 per person with a catering package. Details finalized very soon.

FARMEO
06-30-2004, 12:14 PM
According to the official web site, there is now a package that allows you to stay in the patio area for the enitre game.

Randar68
06-30-2004, 12:19 PM
I'm sure it will be open to the public on days it isn't reserved for Group use.

npdempse
06-30-2004, 12:22 PM
C'mon, people. Did anybody really think they'd leave the fan deck free after putting all those premo seats up there? I have no doubt that they were thinking of charging for those seats all along, and that the only reason it was ever free was so they could basically do market research.
Would you expect the seats on top of the green monster to be free?

jackbrohamer
06-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm sure it will be open to the public on days it isn't reserved for Group use.
I'm not so sure, they don't let people go in the picnic area above the Bullpen Bar on days when it's not sold out

GoSox2K3
06-30-2004, 12:28 PM
I agree. I was there once (about 7 yrs ago) and it was just this plain room with cinder block walls and metal benches and we couldn't go outside up to the outfield fence (it looks like that has changed now). Then we had to leave around game time.

Jerko
06-30-2004, 12:31 PM
The patio area is fine BEFORE the game. You used to be able to watch a half hour of the game from down there, but when they reconfigured the bullpen, they closed everything in except the area right outside the bullpen bar. Now it is like being in a cement box. The last time I was there they let us stay down there until 1/2 hour into the game but I don't know what the rules are this year.

GoSox2K3
06-30-2004, 12:34 PM
According to the official web site, there is now a package that allows you to stay in the patio area for the enitre game.
Good. Either that or Daveeym's suggestion. It doesn't make sense for the Sox to leave it empty during the games when they can generate more revenue by having it open througout the game in some form or another and the secondary benefit of having the park look full of fans on TV. Every time there is a fly ball to RF, what really has stood out for years on TV is a chain link fence with trash cans and empty metal benches behind that fence.

Randar68
06-30-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm not so sure, they don't let people go in the picnic area above the Bullpen Bar on days when it's not sold out
The CF area is going to be a group All-or-Nothing affair from what I can tell.

GoSox2K3
06-30-2004, 12:37 PM
The patio area is fine BEFORE the game. You used to be able to watch a half hour of the game from down there, but when they reconfigured the bullpen, they closed everything in except the area right outside the bullpen bar. Now it is like being in a cement box. The last time I was there they let us stay down there until 1/2 hour into the game but I don't know what the rules are this year.
I'll have to look next time I'm at a game. I thought it used to be closed in (that's how it was when I went about 7 yrs ago). I had the impression that now people are able to go outside just like in the bullpen bar. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, that's too bad.

ewokpelts
06-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Its unbeleiveable how dumb this orgainzation is at times, if this is true. I sit there every half price night, it is such a great place to watch the game. Total bull**** if they actually do this. I would rather they didnt have half price nights to keep it open. Such a bunch of crap. I really hope this isnt true, way to ruin a fantastic feature of the park. :angry: :angry: :angry:
u sit there instead of your LOWER DECK TICKETS? Interesting....to say the least.....

Gene

ewokpelts
06-30-2004, 04:06 PM

It's now going to be sold as either patio parties OR "Warning Track Party Area". I call it the super patio. Patio party for the whole game. BUT YOU CANT LEAVE. Only patio parties get tix. Warning track party peeps get a wristband to sit the the patio area the whole game.

Gene

Dan H
06-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Dumb. Just plain dumb. I hope no groups buy into it.

Parrothead
06-30-2004, 08:35 PM
I do kinda like the idea of the being able to rent the fan deck. However, I must say they should do it by levels or all or nothing. Just how many groups of 150 or more will be renting it, if the number is correct? Also, they should definitely leave some games where anyone can get up there, if the demand for the deck is high.:dunno:

Maybe they are just floating the idea out there to see how many respond.
What they should do, while I am at it, is finish the skyboxes and sell those seats individually. Maybe that would sell. What does everyone think?

RedPinStripes
06-30-2004, 08:38 PM
They'll just shoot themselves in the foot again with this idea. It's the FAN DECK! I knew as soon as Jerry found out people liked it up there, he'd find a way to charge money and piss people off.

StillMissOzzie
06-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Maybe WSI can put together a group outing for one of next year's Sox / sCrUBs games!

SMO
:gulp:

RedPinStripes
06-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Maybe WSI can put together a group outing for one of next year's Sox / sCrUBs games!

SMO
:gulp:****em boycott the Fandeck. It isnt that damn good. I'll sit in my lower deck seat. The fan deck is something to check out for a few innings. it's really not a place to watch the game unless you're one of the few who go up there during BP and get a good seat.

It used to be something unique in this park for the fans. Now they ****ed it up. :angry:

SaltyPretzel
06-30-2004, 10:33 PM
They'll just shoot themselves in the foot again with this idea. It's the FAN DECK! I knew as soon as Jerry found out people liked it up there, he'd find a way to charge money and piss people off.
I wonder if they'll call it the "Corporate Outing Deck" now. :(:

BainesHOF
07-01-2004, 01:37 AM
Once again the organization only sees the modest dollar signs in front of its nose instead of looking at the big picture.

Hey Brooks buddy, this is a bad move. Nix it while you still can.

And drop the begging on each telecast for people to pay big bucks to drag the infield or announce the names of players for an inning. It's time for the organization to stop acting small time and show some class.

soxnut
07-01-2004, 11:03 AM
I realy don't know how any of you can even be surprised and upset about this move. It should have been fully expected. Those who have reviewed the renovations(media) had even mentioned that they felt sooner or later that those seats would be good enough to sell. And besides, go sit in the seat you paid for.

SaltyPretzel
07-01-2004, 11:14 AM
I realy don't know how any of you can even be surprised and upset about this move. It should have been fully expected. Those who have reviewed the renovations(media) had even mentioned that they felt sooner or later that those seats would be good enough to sell. And besides, go sit in the seat you paid for.
At Safeco, they have an area very similar to the fan deck, but they don't charge people to go there.

pinwheels3530
07-01-2004, 11:44 AM
They shouldn't charge for those seats, It was great for all fans to experience something unique as the fan deck THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:

ewokpelts
07-01-2004, 12:49 PM
And besides, go sit in the seat you paid for.
Amen brother. The fan deck is worthless if you have lower deck seats. If there was no ud barricade policy, it'd be a different story.
Gene

ewokpelts
07-01-2004, 12:49 PM
They shouldn't charge for those seats, It was great for all fans to experience something unique as the fan deck THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:Why CANT YOU SIT IN YOU LOWER DECK SEATS? People in the upper deck maybe, but you have great seats in the LOWER deck.

Gene