PDA

View Full Version : Catcher Situation

E Coast Sox Fan
06-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Here's what we know:

-- Sandy Alomar, Jr. Still a quality catcher and a good presence in the clubhouse.
-- Jamie Burke. Has played well since being called up, but his triple A batting numbers don't look that impressive.
-- Davis. Probably comparable to Jamie Burke.

Here's my question:

Am I underestimating Burke or Davis?

How many games can Sandy Realistically catch?

Does the Sox organization have another catcher moving up through the ranks?

JRIG
06-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Here's what we know:

-- Sandy Alomar, Jr. Still a quality catcher and a good presence in the clubhouse.
-- Jamie Burke. Has played well since being called up, but his triple A batting numbers don't look that impressive.

Here's my question:

Does the Sox organization have another catcher moving up through the ranks?
No.

To quote those who have been looking for Olivo's weak points..."two out of every five."

And no, not to my knowledge. I would imagine KW is either hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Davis, or has another trade up his sleeve.

bobj4400
06-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Here's what we know:

Here's my question:

NO

2 MAYBE 3 per week

Does the Sox organization have another catcher moving up through the ranks?NO

Gammons Peter
06-29-2004, 04:13 PM
I would think that Sandy can handle 3 games a week and the other two guys will share the rest

Jerko
06-29-2004, 04:16 PM
The Sox are only a game out with Perez/Gload replacing Maggs. I don't see Alomar/Burke/Davis replacing Olivo any harder to overcome than that.

E Coast Sox Fan
06-29-2004, 04:34 PM
A fair point about Mags. However, in this situation, we need to figure out a longer term solution because it doesn't sound like we have a solution for after Sandy is gone. If we have to solve the problem soon (like the next 1-2 years), why not do it now while we're in the hunt for the AL Central.

TheBull
06-29-2004, 04:37 PM
No.

I would imagine KW is either hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Davis, or has another trade up his sleeve.
It would be fantastic if Ben Davis surprises us and becomes lightning in the bottle, but I don’t think we can count on him. He flamed out here in San Diego and appeared to be held in lesser regard in Seattle.

Once touted in the Padres organization as a “can’t miss” prospect with the stick and glove, he bottomed out and rarely showed glimpses of either in the farm or majors. He has a long, loopy swing and his work ethic was questioned frequently on local sports talk radio.

I hope like hell Davis can become half the player he was supposed to be, but I also hope KW is working the phone for another catcher.

Tekijawa
06-29-2004, 04:50 PM
It would be fantastic if Ben Davis surprises us and becomes lightning in the bottle, but I don’t think we can count on him. He flamed out here in San Diego and appeared to be held in lesser regard in Seattle.

Once touted in the Padres organization as a “can’t miss” prospect with the stick and glove, he bottomed out and rarely showed glimpses of either in the farm or majors. He has a long, loopy swing and his work ethic was questioned frequently on local sports talk radio.

I hope like hell Davis can become half the player he was supposed to be, but I also hope KW is working the phone for another catcher.Maybe Coop can teach him the Slider!

danjames
06-29-2004, 04:56 PM
For what it's worth, I think Sandy's been catching about 3 days a week as it is.

Looking at June,
Sandy caught 10 games and didn't catch 12 games, even catching 3 games in a row from June 5th to June 8th. I think Sandy could catch 3-4 games a week. But It would be nice to keep him at 3, so he's fresh for october because I would much rather Sandy catch our team in october than Jamie Burke or Ben Davis.

Kadafi311
06-29-2004, 05:00 PM
I hope like hell Davis can become half the player he was supposed to be, but I also hope KW is working the phone for another catcher.
Well, according to Gammons KW has been working on another trade since Sunday. This doesn't mean it's going to get done, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't for a catcher.

lowesox
06-29-2004, 05:05 PM
I think trading for another catcher would be a mistake. Especially Kendall. Our offense is good enough that what we really need from our catcher is defense. From what I hear Ben Davis is good defensively.

I say we send Burke down and stick with Davis and Alomar. I personally think using 3 roster spots for catchers (especially three mediocre catchers) is wasteful.

At one point Davis was a top prospect, so he at least has the tools to be good.

ode to veeck
06-29-2004, 05:09 PM
I think trading for another catcher would be a mistake. Especially Kendall. Our offense is good enough that what we really need from our catcher is defense. From what I hear Ben Davis is good defensively.

I say we send Burke down and stick with Davis and Alomar. I personally think using 3 roster spots for catchers (especially three mediocre catchers) is wasteful.

At one point Davis was a top prospect, so he at least has the tools to be good I agree, as its not how many days can Sandy catch, but how many free ranging runners on the paths and passed balls can we handle. Keeping the better defensive prospect on the roster makes sense, and no way for three C's on the roster. We'll miss Mo's bat, but Sandy's still a decent clutch hitter

DickAllen72
06-29-2004, 05:16 PM

At one point Davis was a top prospect, so he at least has the tools to be good.

On ESPN1000 last night, Bruce Levine said Davis' defense is adequate at best, FWIW.

bigdommer
06-29-2004, 05:20 PM
It might sound dumb to say this, but I think the key to the catcher's efffectiveness could be...Joe Crede!

My reason: Joe Crede had a bad April and May, and his June is heating up and, if history repeats, he will continue to stay hot the rest of the way. And despite his struggles, the Sox offense has been tops.

Now, if Joe gets hot, and the Sandy/Burke/Davis in the ninth hole hits like Crede did for the first half, the offense will be just fine. All we need is a steady defensive presence behind the dish, a .225 or above hitter, and a good bunter. Give me that, this team will thrive.

lowesox
06-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Give me that, this team will thrive.
I don't think we'll be doing any thriving until we pick up two strong arms for the pen.

Foulke You
06-29-2004, 06:07 PM
I'd throw Burke out there for 2 or 3 starts a week and see what he can do and let him play himself out of a starting role. He has shown adequate defense and game calling ability in his limited playing time and he has been hitting the ball very well.

I don't want any part of Ben Davis. Everything I've heard about him is that he can't hit a lick and is average defense at best. The M's announcer was on ESPN 1000 yesterday and the question was asked, "Will Ben Davis help the Sox" and he didn't really have anything good to say about him. He basically said he has struggled all year offensively (he had a huge stretch of games without a hit) and he said he was decent defensively. So my synopsis on Ben Davis is that he is Mark Johnson with less defensive skills. In the AL, you can't afford to have an automatic out at the #9 spot.