PDA

View Full Version : Article on Loaiza's contract talks.

Win1ForMe
06-29-2004, 12:26 PM
The White Sox exercised their $4 million option on the 32-year-old hurler for the current season, following a career year in 2003 when Loaiza finished 21-9 and second in the American League Cy Young voting. Despite his affinity for Chicago and respect for the White Sox organization, there's a strong possibility free agency could be on the horizon for Loaiza during the upcoming offseason.

"We haven't talked yet," Loaiza told MLB.com of discussions with the White Sox concerning a future contract. "At the beginning of Spring Training, they wanted another option for next year. But we told them no. "I didn't want to be on that stage again. I know what I'm capable of doing, and I'm doing the best job I can. I feel great out there right now, and we are just going to see what happens."

"Loaiza getting it done for Sox" (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040628&content_id=782898&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

I think at this point the White Sox FA priorities should go something like this:

1. Garcia 2. Loaiza 3. Valentin 4. Maggs

Tekijawa
06-29-2004, 12:30 PM
"Loaiza getting it done for Sox" (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040628&content_id=782898&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

I think at this point the White Sox FA priorities should go something like this:

VALENTIN??? He shouldn't even be in the same thread with the word "priority" in it.

JoseCanseco6969
06-29-2004, 12:31 PM

Why Valentin at #3?????????

Win1ForMe
06-29-2004, 12:37 PM
I get a kick out of people who continually underrate Valentin and how much he actually helps the White Sox. Plus Valentin is more important at SS than Maggs in RF. You can start the season with Borchard or an affordable FA pickup.

MRKARNO
06-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Why Valentin at #3????????? Much much harder to fill shortstop than RF. And we have Borchard in the wings if we cant get a FA. Plus we all know that Maggs is asking for more than he's worth anyways. And also, Besides Tejada, Nomar and Young, I dont think there are a ton of better SSs out there. With Nomar and Renteria on the Market, we can resign Valentin at a decent price.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2004, 12:40 PM
This off season will be very interesting for the club. We will see what direction Uncle Jerry intends to go.
Three starting pitchers (Loazia, Schowenweis and Garcia) can be free agents. Ordonez, one of the best players in the game, can be a free agent plus you have Valentin and Frank Thomas' unique year to year situation.

I don't see anyway possible to re-sgin all of these guys. The organization will not make that kind of financial investment period.

If they have to choose I'd advise putting the priority on pitching. It's a lot easier and cheaper to go out and get hitters come next July's trading deadline then to get good pitching help.

Lip

Wealz
06-29-2004, 12:43 PM
I say thank Loaiza for his two years here and let him walk.

hold2dibber
06-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Why?

mantis1212
06-29-2004, 12:45 PM
I get a kick out of people who continually underrate Valentin and how much he actually helps the White Sox. Plus Valentin is more important at SS than Maggs in RF. You can start the season with Borchard or an affordable FA pickup.
I agree, Valentin constantly is getting huge hits, winning ball games, and people still want him off the team.

At the beginning of the year I supported the plan to let him walk and put Uribe at short, but now I think he needs to stay.

Our only left-handed bat, people- he is very valuable.

habibharu
06-29-2004, 12:51 PM

1. Garcia 2. Loaiza 3. Valentin 4. Maggs unless you can get valentin for about the same amount as this year, 5 mil, the sox should forget about him and concentrate on renteria or cabrera

delben91
06-29-2004, 12:55 PM
unless you can get valentin for about the same amount as this year, 5 mil, the sox should forget about him and concentrate on renteria or cabrera

They might even be able to get Jose for less than this year. While decent to solid in all areas, there are younger, perhaps more talented options out there for teams, so competition might not be too steep for Jose.

Also, remember Jose took less money than he was being offered elsewhere (Baltimore?) to stay here a few years back, so that plays in the Sox favor as well.

MRKARNO
06-29-2004, 01:02 PM
unless you can get valentin for about the same amount as this year, 5 mil, the sox should forget about him and concentrate on renteria or cabrera
The fact that Cabrera, Renteria and Nomar will all be on the market makes it all the more likely that we can get Jose back at a lower rate compared with a normal SS FA year.

habibharu
06-29-2004, 01:05 PM
They might even be able to get Jose for less than this year. While decent to solid in all areas, there are younger, perhaps more talented options out there for teams, so competition might not be too steep for Jose.

Also, remember Jose took less money than he was being offered elsewhere (Baltimore?) to stay here a few years back, so that plays in the Sox favor as well. if we took less money, i would bring him back in a heartbeat. jose is one of those guys that you want on a baseball team. very fiery, clubhouse leader, who backs it up with numbers. one of the most underrated SS in baseball

34 Inch Stick
06-29-2004, 01:52 PM
I would imagine that if Garcia is signed for next year Loiza will be gone. Of course the market may not be as strong for him as he thinks. He has been HIGHLY inconsistent this year. Teams will (and have) be looking at last year as the fluke and the winning record this year as more a product of a productive offense.

If Maggs gets to FA he is gone.

I think Valentin will be here, unless Maggs is signed. Costs will have to be cut somewhere if Maggs is signed and you can live with the bargain basement infiled of Harris, Uribe and Crede.

I think the chances of signing Garcia are highly likely.

The interesting thing will be the Frank/Maggs future. If Maggs is gone, Frank is in a HIGHLY desirable position. We simply could not afford to lose both of them this year. And then the next year we have the same situation with Frank/Konerko. I think now would be a good time for the Sox to split the difference on between the Frank/Sox options and guarantee the man his money through 2006.

Flight #24
06-29-2004, 02:03 PM
The interesting thing will be the Frank/Maggs future. If Maggs is gone, Frank is in a HIGHLY desirable position. We simply could not afford to lose both of them this year. And then the next year we have the same situation with Frank/Konerko. I think now would be a good time for the Sox to split the difference on between the Frank/Sox options and guarantee the man his money through 2006.IIRC, Frank's in control of his fate, if he chooses to re-up for 8mil, the Sox have to take him. If he chooses to hit the market, they can force him to stay (at a higher price). It's only in the last year that they have a buyout.

I don't believe that there's a combination of a team that would be willing to pay more, that is looking for a DH, and that is interested in an older player. I think Frank will look around and decide to reup for 8mil. Hopefully by the end of next year, coming off of 2 consecutive playoff runs (and a WS appearance!), they'll mutually decide that it's best for all parties for Frank to stay and retire as a White Sox.

joeynach
06-29-2004, 02:22 PM
I think Loiaza made it pretty clear he doesnt want to be here next year. Its not about the money. He said he wants to go play in San Diego, where he is from and all his family is. They offered him an extra option year for 05 but he turned it down, he wants to leave, even though the extra year had a raise.

Win1ForMe
06-29-2004, 02:36 PM
I think Loiaza made it pretty clear he doesnt want to be here next year. Its not about the money. He said he wants to go play in San Diego, where he is from and all his family is. They offered him an extra option year for 05 but he turned it down, he wants to leave, even though the extra year had a raise.
Yeah, because most good players jump at 1-year contract extensions.

hold2dibber
06-29-2004, 03:20 PM
I find it a little hard to believe that he'd turn down an option year soley out of hope that San Diego might sign him. Who knows if they're even interested? I think it's more likely that he turned down the option year because he wants to test the market or because he simply didn't like the terms of the option.

34 Inch Stick
06-29-2004, 03:59 PM
Or because he was coming off a 21 win season and the option was not significantly more than the 4 million he is making this year. He gambled. I think it is still questionable what his value is on the open market.

mmmmmbeeer
06-29-2004, 04:10 PM
As much as I'd love to see Loaiza stick around, I say let him walk if he doesn't settle for the same $4-5M he's making this year. He's not pitching well this year, with only occassional flashes of the pitcher he was last season. I find it rather disheartening that he feels absolutely no loyalty to the White Sox considering the gamble that our organization took on him. Hell, he may not even be in baseball right now if it weren't for the White Sox.

Win1ForMe
06-29-2004, 04:30 PM
As much as I'd love to see Loaiza stick around, I say let him walk if he doesn't settle for the same $4-5M he's making this year. He's not pitching well this year, with only occassional flashes of the pitcher he was last season. I find it rather disheartening that he feels absolutely no loyalty to the White Sox considering the gamble that our organization took on him. Hell, he may not even be in baseball right now if it weren't for the White Sox.
Giving someone a spring training invite and $500K isn't exactly a baseball gamble. ELo's problem this year seems to be a lack of velocity; he's more 88-91 mph than the 91-94 mph he was at last year. He's still a better pitcher though than he was in his Ranger/Blue Jay days because of his cutter.

ode to veeck
06-30-2004, 05:28 AM
I don't see anyway possible to re-sgin all of these guys. The organization will not make that kind of financial investment period.

I can see them getting Valentin back for less money though. Clearly not a PH anymore, even more suspect from one side of the plate, and not getting any younger--its hard to see that he'd draw that kind of money from somewhere else, plus, like Frank, I think he'd prefer to stay and finish here and would settle with Sox

illiniwhitesox
06-30-2004, 06:35 AM
I don't understand this one. What happens if his demands are reasonable and fair. Do you walk away from one of the better pitchers in the majors? Name the pitchers with a better record from 2003 - 2004 - you can probably count them on one hand!

Who do you have in the wings that can take his place? We were screaming for Garcia b/c our 5th starter had not won a game in two years. Do you want to put us in this position again?

This is a ridiculous comment to make.

Tragg
06-30-2004, 09:51 AM
They just need to to sign MB when the time comes. I know he has too many bad outings, but he goes up there pitches quick, moves the game along, and WINS. He's never really had a bad year. And he's a lefty.

Lip Man 1
06-30-2004, 12:38 PM
The Sox are always going to have pitching issues unless the minor league system starts producing guys in both quantity and quality (extremely hard and rare to do for any organization) or the Sox start changing their policy concerning pitching contracts.

Lip

Flight #24
06-30-2004, 12:51 PM
The Sox are always going to have pitching issues unless the minor league system starts producing guys in both quantity and quality (extremely hard and rare to do for any organization) or the Sox start changing their policy concerning pitching contracts.

Lip
Actually, if they resign Garcia & Elo, they'll be pretty much set for a while, and have the ability to bring rookies into the rotation under a lot less pressure. MB, FG, ELo, JonG are a VERY nice top 4 that wouldn't be going anywhere for a few years. That lets you develop Rauch/Diaz/Munoz/Honel/Cotts via the 'pen and 5th starter spot. Then in a year or 2, you have the ability to let one walk when a contract is up and slot a younger pitcher in.

beckett21
06-30-2004, 01:06 PM
I find it a little hard to believe that he'd turn down an option year soley out of hope that San Diego might sign him. Who knows if they're even interested? I think it's more likely that he turned down the option year because he wants to test the market or because he simply didn't like the terms of the option.
I believe that San Diego is very interested in Loaiza. I have very little doubt they would sign him. He would be a local favorite.

Flight #24
06-30-2004, 01:10 PM
I believe that San Diego is very interested in Loaiza. I have very little doubt they would sign him. He would be a local favorite.
I heard the same thing (maybe we have the same source!). The Pads love the idea of marketing him to their Mexican fans in SoCal and Northern Mexico. And IIRC - He's from the Mexical area of Mexico, so he'd kind of be going home.

I'd bet it's a combo of that plus holding out for a bigger offer. Hopefully our being a winning team and being the one that gave him a chance will hold him here for a decent price.

beckett21
06-30-2004, 01:17 PM
I heard the same thing (maybe we have the same source!). The Pads love the idea of marketing him to their Mexican fans in SoCal and Northern Mexico. And IIRC - He's from the Mexical area of Mexico, so he'd kind of be going home.

I'd bet it's a combo of that plus holding out for a bigger offer. Hopefully our being a winning team and being the one that gave him a chance will hold him here for a decent price.
There was an article I saw in the preseason talking about this, I think it was a local San Diego paper article that was linked to me by a friend who lives out there. Of course the Pads can't come out and say it, but I could very VERY easily see him pitching for them next year.

Let's lock up Garcia quickly.