PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC: KW says Maggs not going to ATL!!

joeynach
06-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Found this article here which quotes KW by saying, ''All I can offer up is that I have not had one conversation with regards to Maggs with (Braves GM) John Schuerholz. And I have spoken with him". The article is baseball notes from Sunday on MSNBC sports, its sounds good to me. This trade would have been the worst i could think of. Here is the link, props to my co-worker and huge sox fan D-Train for the link!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4717412 (look about 2/3 down the page)

oeo
06-29-2004, 11:31 AM
What could this possible trade be then, if Maggs isn't involved?

joeynach
06-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Maybe just the original Rauch and prospect or two for Ortiz.

owensmouth
06-29-2004, 11:35 AM
KW was talking to just about everyone before the Garcia trade was made. He was probably talking about Ortiz with Atlanta.

jabrch
06-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Most major league GMs are also liers. I wouldn't be surprised if all the reports are true - that if KW couldn't get Garcia he was prepared to make a deal with Atlanta go get Jones/Ortiz for Ordonez.

Look - if Ordonez really wants 15mm, he is gonna have to go elsewhere to get it. And if that's what he needs to stay - I'll be happy to see him go. That money can be well spent elsewhere.

Philo-Sox-er
06-29-2004, 12:04 PM
I wonder if it is Rauch/Rowand for Jones? This might sound silly, but I read that Atlanta really wants to get from under Jones contract badly. For them it would be a salary dump purely; for us, we'd be getting a Gold Glove CF to to make a run at a WS title. Nice thought anyway...

joeynach
06-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Most major league GMs are also liers. I wouldn't be surprised if all the reports are true - that if KW couldn't get Garcia he was prepared to make a deal with Atlanta go get Jones/Ortiz for Ordonez.

Look - if Ordonez really wants 15mm, he is gonna have to go elsewhere to get it. And if that's what he needs to stay - I'll be happy to see him go. That money can be well spent elsewhere.
Yes but have heard from a lot of people involved with this organazation that they beleive if they deal is right we can get Maggs from anywhere between 12 to 14 mil for 5 years. The problem is it appears the sox are only offering 4 year and deffering a bulk of the contract money when Maggs wants it straight up. This is silly. You're practically there just come to terms.

DaveIsHere
06-29-2004, 12:06 PM
I'll take a lee-Jones-Mags OF

joeynach
06-29-2004, 12:19 PM
I'll take a lee-Jones-Mags OF
And ill take a 90 payroll to have that. Pipe dream dude. Forget it!

Brian26
06-29-2004, 12:35 PM
I wonder if it is Rauch/Rowand for Jones? This might sound silly, but I read that Atlanta really wants to get from under Jones contract badly. For them it would be a salary dump purely; for us, we'd be getting a Gold Glove CF to to make a run at a WS title. Nice thought anyway...

I like this much more than Mags for Ortiz/Jones, but I doubt Atlanta would do it.

hold2dibber
06-29-2004, 01:05 PM
I like this much more than Mags for Ortiz/Jones, but I doubt Atlanta would do it.
Well, even if that (Rauch/Rowand for Jones) were the deal, it would definitely mean the end of Maggs on the South Side at the end of the year. Jones is owed $39 million over the next 3 years, which would definitely preclude the Sox from re-signing Maggs.

34 Inch Stick
06-29-2004, 01:37 PM
I think Atlanta needs until after the All Star break to figure out whether it is in contention or not. They are under the same conditions we were under at the time of the WFT (close to 1st but under .500). If they are dealing for the future I would bet we could snag Smoltz (who IIRC said he wanted to be a starter again in the near future).

Clarkdog
06-29-2004, 01:39 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. This deal never made sense to me when I first heard about it on Ofman's show on the Score on Sunday. When he had the brave beat writer from the Atlanta Journal-Consitutution who had reported the rumor (is that an oxymoron?), he said that intially he had written an article that speculated of expanding a potential deal with the Sox to include Ordonez and Andruw Jones. The next day, the reporter said that in fact Schurholtz had inquired into Ordonez's availability.

KW did not shop Ordonez - but he was talking to the Braves about Ortiz, and when Schurholtz called - KW answered. But that doesn't mean that KW was looking to expand the trade, only that he listened to Schurholtz's inquiry.

The deal doesn't make sense to me from a roster perspective - yes you get Jones who is a GG CF, but now you move Rowand to RF and Willie Harris turns into a spot starter. I like Willie at the top of the order more days than not, and if we're facing a right hander he should be leading off the lineup either at 2B or CF. It makes us slower and we'll be back to swinging from our heels like 2003.

A thought: Perhaps the rumor was designed to get Maggs to get serious in negotiating with the Sox. Because the deal implies that the team was willing to trade him to a non-contender (I say this because the braves have yet to look like one) for a player with a large contract with terms similar to $$$ offered to Maggs (albeit shorter length - by a year?). the Sox cvould be saying, "We have money, we're going for it: Are you in or are you out?" Maybe someone wanted to put Mags desire to win in the equation. Do you want to make a run at the WS with a team a game out first in it's division and building steam, or do you want to be traded to a team that while being on 3.5 games out is still 3 games under .500 and could be without their #1 starter?

Tragg
06-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Let's hope it's not a bunch of young players for Russ "Walk 'em" Ortiz- that would by truly awful, because Ortiz is no more than an average pitcher.

gosox41
06-30-2004, 01:10 AM
Let's hope it's not a bunch of young players for Russ "Walk 'em" Ortiz- that would by truly awful, because Ortiz is no more than an average pitcher.
I agee. Russ Ortiz is the NL's version of Rick Helling.

Bob

StillMissOzzie
06-30-2004, 02:08 AM
A thought: Perhaps the rumor was designed to get Maggs to get serious in negotiating with the Sox. Because the deal implies that the team was willing to trade him to a non-contender (I say this because the braves have yet to look like one) for a player with a large contract with terms similar to $$$ offered to Maggs (albeit shorter length - by a year?). the Sox could be saying, "We have money, we're going for it: Are you in or are you out?" Maybe someone wanted to put Mags desire to win in the equation. Do you want to make a run at the WS with a team a game out first in it's division and building steam, or do you want to be traded to a team that while being on 3.5 games out is still 3 games under .500 and could be without their #1 starter?
I often wonder about "do you want to play with a winner" as a selling point in negotiations. Every player wants to play for a winner, and every player wants maximum value on their contract. Unfortunately, there is only one NY Yankmees, so the player has to make a choice for one or the other, not both. After watching A-Rod go to Texas, I-Rod to Detroit, Tejada to the Orioles, etc., I am not convinced that playing for a winner is always the 1st choice.

SMO
:gulp:

flo-B-flo
06-30-2004, 02:20 AM
Face it: Garcia AND Maggs will not be on the Sox next year.:(:

Rex Hudler
06-30-2004, 04:43 AM
Found this article here which quotes KW by saying, ''All I can offer up is that I have not had one conversation with regards to Maggs with (Braves GM) John Schuerholz. And I have spoken with him".

I am not saying this trade will happen, but that quote doesn't tell me much. Perhaps KW hasn't had one conversation w/ regard to Maggs. Perhaps he has had 2!

JKryl
07-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Mags is now damaged merchandise, no one in their right mind would take him in a trade until he's healed. However, on the bright side; maybe we can get him to re-sign next year after all!

Mickster
07-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Mags is now damaged merchandise, no one in their right mind would take him in a trade until he's healed. However, on the bright side; maybe we can get him to re-sign next year after all!
Dude, this thread was started a month ago, before the Maggs injury......

kitekrazy
07-29-2004, 10:09 PM
We've got enough bats like Jones. Poor avg, high homerun rate. We don't need another Jose V. type hitter.