PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for Twins Series

delben91
06-29-2004, 12:14 PM
How many games do you see our Sox taking in the Metrodome?

MRKARNO
2 out of Three. I think Buehrle will turn it around,Garcia will outduel Radke, but Garland wont get the job done

daveeym

DaveIsHere
06-29-2004, 12:15 PM
I am banking on a sweep...these is where we go on a 8 or 9 game tear!!!!:supernana:

Mickster
06-29-2004, 12:15 PM
How many games do you see our Sox taking in the Metrodome?
Be happy with winning the series. A sweep would be gravy......

Flight #24
06-29-2004, 12:16 PM
I think a sweep isn't out of the question, but I think we could see Freddy lose a good, but not great pitched game. He's coming in with a lot of pressure. Hopefully the O can put up some runs early to help him get comfortable.

oeo
06-29-2004, 12:19 PM
2 out of three, but if Garland can pitch solid throughout his appearance, I think we have a good chance at a sweep.

pinwheels3530
06-29-2004, 12:20 PM
We will win 2 out of 3 and Frank will hit a couple of Homers!!!!!!!!!!!!

delben91
06-29-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm waiting for ma-gaga and flungerflickle (or however you spell it) to jump in here. :D:

twinsuck1
06-29-2004, 12:21 PM
I was hoping for 2 out of 3, but listening to the Minnesota Tribune writer right now on the Score ripping the Twinkies like crazy, saying things like they couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag!! Their best hitter Is Lew Ford who didn't even make the team out of spring training, he Is pretty much saying they SUCK!! and he just said that the White Sox should win the division. So with all that said I will except nothing less then a SWEEP!!!!!!!!!!:supernana:

kojak
06-29-2004, 12:28 PM
I see a hangover type game tonight. The last 48 hours have been a huge distraction. But we take the last 2 for the series win to begin our 5-1 road trip.

IlliniSoxFan
06-29-2004, 12:32 PM
I see a hangover type game tonight. The last 48 hours have been a huge distraction. But we take the last 2 for the series win to begin our 5-1 road trip.
Disagree - I think Buerhle is gunning for tonight's start. He'll be like a surgeon, hitting the spots and fooling the Twins offense. We have a couple guys who'll use Silva like a launching pad, hopefully!!

HomeFish
06-29-2004, 12:59 PM
I think we have a decent shot at beating Silva. I think Garcia will be a big disapointment tomorrow and Garland will do his usual late-inning choke.

Skorch
06-29-2004, 01:00 PM
One - But I'm a Twins fan, so what do you expect?

fuzzy_patters
06-29-2004, 01:07 PM
I predict we will win two games. I think Shingo is going to blow one up there. Of course, I am still scarred by the grand slam Shane Mack hit off Roberto Hernandez, and the Keith Foulke implosions did not help much.

Wanne
06-29-2004, 01:11 PM
"The Twins don't care that we had a tough week, they're going to come out firing," Konerko said. "We're going to have to come out swinging and play well. It's human to let down after a big series, and we can't let that happen."

I sure hope the Sox don't let down...and I think this is where the difference in managers this year will be the most obvious. I just don't like to hear comments about it's "human" to have a letdown, hangover, etc...that's already planting the seed in your head that it's ok to come out sluggish...kind of a defeatist attitude. Ever do that excercise closing your eyes and someone instilling the words..."ok...now look at the door and "try" to get up..."try" to walk to the door. You become hesitant. Hopefully Oz keeps them on their toes.

A.T. Money
06-29-2004, 01:21 PM
I think we have a decent shot at beating Silva. I think Garcia will be a big disapointment tomorrow and Garland will do his usual late-inning choke.
:troll

Fungo
06-29-2004, 01:36 PM
I think we win 2 of 3, but the twins expose how bad we will miss Olivo's defense and run rampant in the 3 game set. KW takes note of the huge hole that is left in Miguel's absence and make the necessary move.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2004, 01:44 PM
This could be an outstanding series and a real indicator of what happens the rest of the way.

The Twins have their three best pitchers going and are now completely healthy expect for Shannon Stewart.

Also remember in July Minnesota still gets to play at Kansas City, Detroit and Baltimore. Not the strongest competition is it?

This is a huge series...just don't get swept!

Lip

MRKARNO
06-29-2004, 01:58 PM
This could be an outstanding series and a real indicator of what happens the rest of the way.

The Twins have their three best pitchers going and are now completely healthy expect for Shannon Stewart.

Also remember in July Minnesota still gets to play at Kansas City, Detroit and Baltimore. Not the strongest competition is it?

This is a huge series...just don't get swept!

Lip
I agree with this, but I would just like to add something:

Their August schedule is about as brutal as it gets
July 30th-Aug 1 Boston
Aug 3-5 Anaheim
Aug 6-8 Oakland
Aug 10-12 @ Seattle
Aug 13-15 @ Cleveland
Aug 17-19 Yankees
Aug 20-22 Cleveland
Aug 23-26 @ Texas
Aug 27-29 @ Anaheim
Aug 30th- Sept 1 Texas

No letdowns at all, except maybe at Seattle. Cleveland's offense and pitching makes them a good team that I would want to see as little of as possible. This schedule could make them fall out of contention. Compare to ours:

Jul 29 -Aug 1 @ Detroit
Aug 3-5 @ KC
Aug 6-9 Cleveland
Aug 10-12 KC
Aug 13-15 @ Boston
Aug 17-19 Detroit
Aug 20-22 Boston
Aug 23-25 @ Detroit
Aug 26-29 @ Cleveland
Aug 31-Sept 2 Oakland

Now ours isnt exactly a creampuff schedule, but the 10 games with Detroit and the 6 games with KC are MUCH more favorable than all those teams against the AL West and the Yankees. This could be our shining month

BigEdWalsh
06-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Sox should win 2, though a sweep isn't out of the question. Oooooh, that'd be sweet!!:bandance:

BigEdWalsh
06-29-2004, 02:21 PM
I think Shingo is going to blow one up there.
Shingo will NEVER blow one! :supernana:

MRKARNO
06-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Oh look, A Twins troll just voted for 0. What a shock

Foulke You
06-29-2004, 02:55 PM
I think we have an excellent shot at beating Silva tonight since the Sox lit him up like a Christmas Tree in the last two starts against him. If Buehrle has a decent start, we should score enough runs to beat them tonight. Garcia vs Radke should be a low scoring game and might come down to the bullpens. Too close to pick. Garland has to rebound from his last two marshmallow performances. Should be a good series though.

ma_deuce
06-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Two bigs wins will even up the division and take us into the upcoming sweep at the Urinal.:bandance:

ma_deuce
06-29-2004, 03:55 PM
One - But I'm a Twins fan, so what do you expect?
I have learned to expect very little from Twins fans. :)

Skorch
06-29-2004, 04:28 PM
I have learned to expect very little from Twins fans. :)
I walked into that one, didn't I?:smile:

There's some home team optimism that fuels my prediction, but I don't think it's unreasonable. True, Silva got beat like a rented mule in his two previous starts against the ChiSox, however he's since added a change-up to his repertoire and has since been pretty dominating, as have Radke and Santana, the other two projected starters in the series. Silva's had a combined 3.55 ERA since the last time you've seen him (Tampa x2, Detroit, Phila, Milwaukee, BoSox). Santana's had a 2.38 ERA in June with a K/9 of 10.99. Radke's had a June ERA 2.62. Even Lohse has been showing some signs of life lately, not that you'll face him this time around.

Of course that doesn't mean much more than that you'll be facing an improved Twins pitching staff this time around. The offense still needs to score runs which lately has been a lot tougher than it really should be (I'm still disgusted at how they only plated one run Sunday afternoon in the 4th inning(?) with the bases loaded and no one out). Neither team is going to get swept, I don't think, and it could go either way. They beat Freddy Garcia earlier this year, but that was largely due to the Mariners offense.

Anyhow, I'll be at the game tonight. It's half-price night for lower deck GA - $7.50/ticket.

MRKARNO
06-29-2004, 05:20 PM
I walked into that one, didn't I?:smile:

There's some home team optimism that fuels my prediction, but I don't think it's unreasonable. True, Silva got beat like a rented mule in his two previous starts against the ChiSox, however he's since added a change-up to his repertoire and has since been pretty dominating, as have Radke and Santana, the other two projected starters in the series. Silva's had a combined 3.55 ERA since the last time you've seen him (Tampa x2, Detroit, Phila, Milwaukee, BoSox). Santana's had a 2.38 ERA in June with a K/9 of 10.99. Radke's had a June ERA 2.62. Even Lohse has been showing some signs of life lately, not that you'll face him this time around.

Of course that doesn't mean much more than that you'll be facing an improved Twins pitching staff this time around. The offense still needs to score runs which lately has been a lot tougher than it really should be (I'm still disgusted at how they only plated one run Sunday afternoon in the 4th inning(?) with the bases loaded and no one out). Neither team is going to get swept, I don't think, and it could go either way. They beat Freddy Garcia earlier this year, but that was largely due to the Mariners offense.

Anyhow, I'll be at the game tonight. It's half-price night for lower deck GA - $7.50/ticket.
Well since you last saw us, the starting pitching has gone to hell, Marte and Takatsu have become unbeatable in the 8th and 9th and the offense hasnt stopped scoring. I think that the only game we'll be at a disadvantage in is the Garland/Santana game, otherwise if the pitching matchup is even or in our favor, like it is with Radke/Garcia or Silva/Buehrle, the advantage goes to us because we've scored more runs than any other team in the majors and we've played 2 less games than a lot of other teams below us on the list.

Skorch
06-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Well since you last saw us, the starting pitching has gone to hell, Marte and Takatsu have become unbeatable in the 8th and 9th and the offense hasnt stopped scoring. I think that the only game we'll be at a disadvantage in is the Garland/Santana game, otherwise if the pitching matchup is even or in our favor, like it is with Radke/Garcia or Silva/Buehrle, the advantage goes to us because we've scored more runs than any other team in the majors and we've played 2 less games than a lot of other teams below us on the list.
... and this is why they play the games on an actual field, and not with stat sheets, a handful of 20-sided dice, and a dungeon-master. :wink:

Blob
06-29-2004, 05:33 PM
No doubt 2 out of 3, possibly a sweep!

cleanwsox
06-29-2004, 05:41 PM
That loser that holds up the "Carlos Lee is not very good" sign is going to get a butt-whopping tonight!

Maybe my sign should say, "Lew Ford didn't graduate high school"

ma-gaga
06-29-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm waiting for ma-gaga and flungerflickle (or however you spell it) to jump in here. :D:
I need to change my user name so people can intentionally mispell it and slam me. I voted, but I didn't give either team a sweep.

I'm really looking forward to this series. Before the last series the Twins pitching staff was on a serious role, then was decimated by the awesome forces that the W.Sox hitting put together. I think the team ERA rose by 0.60. Which is rediculous...

Again, the Twins pitching staff has been on a serious role coming into this series. The W.Sox are coming off a small letdown from the Cubbies series, whereas the Twins just got beat by the juggernaught Bucks.

Radke has been like Garcia, great with no run support so TaylorSt wouldn't want him on his team... Santana has turned it on after a slow start, and I don't know what to say about Silva. He's hit or miss.

The Twins also have two unstoppable pitchers in their bullpen Rincon and Nathan, and a bunch of scrubs. Balfour is starting to figure out how to pitch. Romero is terrible/trouble... Mullholland should be there for garbage time, but he's gotten in WAAAY too many close games for my taste.

I'm really worried about the Twins offense. They just don't score more than 4 runs a game. You can win some games with a good pitching staff, but they need their offense to produce.

I'm hoping for 2 of 3 for my Twins, but they'll probably be outscored 16-10 in the series, 4-3, 2-10, 4-3, so it'll be obvious who the 'better team is'.

Enjoy!

:)

Nick@Nite
06-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Sweep... as in Calvin Griffith who built the Humpty Dump is cheap.

HomeFish
06-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Sweep... as in Calvin Griffith who built the Humpty Dump is cheap.

Of course, no cheap owner ever built a stadium for us...

Nick@Nite
06-29-2004, 07:07 PM
I was waiting for that one. :D:

Mickster
06-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Of course, no cheap owner ever built a stadium for us...
Why should he? We built the stadium for him......

Whitesox029
06-29-2004, 11:34 PM
2 out of Three. I think Buehrle will turn it around,Garcia will outduel Radke, but Garland wont get the job doneditto.

inta
06-30-2004, 03:16 AM
i dunno, the garland pendulum is long over due for a swing back to the winning side...
i wouldnt be surprised by a sweep, but i'm expecting 2/3...

delben91
06-30-2004, 08:06 AM
I need to change my user name so people can intentionally mispell it and slam me.

Oh, I wasn't trying to slam you or fhqwaghads (I think?) or now Skorch that has recently joined up with WSI. You guys are good fans of the game and have quality opinions on both the Twins and the Sox.

I know I value your contributions to the board. The only reason I typed what I did was that it was a "how many games will the Sox win?" poll and everyone to that point had put down 2 or 3 and I was waiting for some of the resident Twinkie fans to jump on and restore some balance.

That's all.