PDA

View Full Version : Beating at Comiskey....from LAST week!

Fisk72
06-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Well, I know someone posted this story when it actually happened last week, but I suppose it was only a matter of time until the media would get a whiff of it. Just when we're starting to get a little momentum, they have to pull this out. Maybe they wanted to wait for all of the charges to it would sound worse. http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-copbeaten29.html (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-copbeaten29.html)

Philo-Sox-er
06-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Gad zukes! That is really unfortunate. A couple of loose cannons, over-served and a real mess.

What I don't get is if the security came by early and they spat in their faces, why didn't they get the boot then? This part makes no sense...

SSN721
06-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Well that is just great, a valid news story, so I guess I cant complain about it being printed. Just drives me crazy, stuff like this only needs to happen once a year (like I am sure it does at every other major league park at leastonce over 81 games) and then everyone just brings up the umpire attacks, the neighborhood and all that crap even though it has nothing to do with this incident. Ugh.

Blob
06-29-2004, 08:48 AM
Gad zukes! That is really unfortunate. A couple of loose cannons, over-served and a real mess.

What I don't get is if the security came by early and they spat in their faces, why didn't they get the boot then? This part makes no sense...
I didn't understand that either. It sounded like it actually happened afterwards...

Philo-Sox-er
06-29-2004, 08:52 AM
At one point before the violence, a Sox usher told the Vicarios to stop cursing and called security, prosecutors said. Three White Sox security officers arrived and Richard Vicario cursed at them -- using racial epithets, prosecutors said. He also allegedly spat in their faces.

Yeah, this is confusing. I would think that if this happened before they attacked the couple, they would have certainly been kicked out after racially accosting ballpark security?

DrCrawdad
06-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Terrible, absolutely terrible.

Now Cubbie fan Mike Murphy is talking about the incident with a bit of joy.

bobj4400
06-29-2004, 09:02 AM
The Moron is using the beating to tear down the Sox right now...

Kogs35
06-29-2004, 09:05 AM
The Moron is using the beating to tear down the Sox right now...call in, say u want to talk about the cubs then tear him to shreads about ripping us about the beating last week. i hate that looser. and if u do call dont forget to use *67 because the snore does have caller id

bobj4400
06-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Now he is saying that when he walks into Comiskey he feels that he has to look over his shoulder...he is walking into the unknown...a hell hole of a ballpark.

bobj4400
06-29-2004, 09:15 AM
An epidmic, a problem, no other park in baseball has these problems.

rdivaldi
06-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Now he is saying that when he walks into Comiskey he feels that he has to look over his shoulder...he is walking into the unknown...a hell hole of a ballpark.
Who in the F is saying that? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

bobj4400
06-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Who in the F is saying that? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Moronotti...who else?

joeynach
06-29-2004, 09:21 AM
An epidmic, a problem, no other park in baseball has these problems.
An unfortunate story yes, but sox fans are getting fed up with this and i beleive there will be pretty bad backlash against the bad apples that attend. There are always a group of 20 something year olds who go over the top after too much beer, im just glad this kind of thing happens more at wrigley than our place with their mardi gras envionment. However, security should have locked these guys up for a while after they saw they were being morons.

Kogs35
06-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Moronotti...who else?
i thought u where talking about the other looser murph

rdivaldi
06-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Moronotti...who else?
Well, that explains that. Take it with a grain of salt, it isn't worth talking about. This kind of stuff happens all the time (in all the ballparks), 15 minutes of fame and it's over.

Kogs35
06-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Well, that explains that. Take it with a grain of salt, it isn't worth talking about. This kind of stuff happens all the time (in all the ballparks), 15 minutes of fame and it's over.
who is his co-host today?

TornLabrum
06-29-2004, 09:25 AM
"Dear Mr. Main:

"Only one question: Why does this story apear in your paper six days after it happened?

"Hal Vickery"

bobj4400
06-29-2004, 09:34 AM
who is his co-host today?
Marc Silverman who has been sticking up for the Cell...

Realist
06-29-2004, 09:41 AM
I was at a Sox/Twins game earlier this year and I was in a similar situation with different results. Just after the game ended there were 4 Sox fans (sic) yelling and swearing at few Twins fans that were just sitting in their seats and minding their own business. The f-bombs were flying outta these 4 idiots mouths like you wouldn't believe.

Finally I had enough. I yelled, "HEY... WATCH YOUR MOUTHS!!" They came back with some feeble reply like, "but but but...they're Twins fans". I told them that I don't care what they are. I don't wanna hear that crap.

Thank Christ that I'm a fairly big dude that even fools with beer muscles are smart enough to back down against or it coulda got really ugly.

Nobody has a filthier mouth than I do, but there's a time a place for everything. That sort of behavior in public is a very poor reflection on the parents of these goofs. Were they raised by wolves?

That guy's lucky he only fell down and his head on that bench once. It seems to me he'd be a bit more clumsy if I was the security officer in that room with him.

:wink:

Irishsox1
06-29-2004, 09:50 AM
It never ceases to amaze me that people confront drunks or idiots. If you're at a baseball game, shopping mall, bar, street corner or wherever, ignore people who are drunk, swearing or causing problems. Alert someone else like security or police and let them deal with it or my favorite is to swallow my ego and walk away! I'm sure this "off-duty" cop with his family engaged in some conversation or yelling back and forth and thats ultimately what led to him getting attacked. I'm not saying that he deserved to get beat up, but if your going to mess with a couple of drunk guys, you better have some hand cuffs, mase and some backup, not your two young kids and a wife.

southsidesoxfan1
06-29-2004, 10:04 AM
That guy's lucky he only fell down and his head on that bench once. It seems to me he'd be a bit more clumsy if I was the security officer in that room with him.

Ditto. I'm sure he had a nice stay at the comiskey lock up. I hope they used the telephone book on him.

kittle42
06-29-2004, 10:06 AM
i thought u where talking about the other looser murph
It's "loser" and not "looser."

One of my (least) favorite common mistakes.

Thank you:bandance:

joeynach
06-29-2004, 10:10 AM
I was at a Sox/Twins game earlier this year and I was in a similar situation with different results. Just after the game ended there were 4 Sox fans (sic) yelling and swearing at few Twins fans that were just sitting in their seats and minding their own business. The f-bombs were flying outta these 4 idiots mouths like you wouldn't believe.

Finally I had enough. I yelled, "HEY... WATCH YOUR MOUTHS!!" They came back with some feeble reply like, "but but but...they're Twins fans". I told them that I don't care what they are. I don't wanna hear that crap.

Thank Christ that I'm a fairly big dude that even fools with beer muscles are smart enough to back down against or it coulda got really ugly.

Nobody has a filthier mouth than I do, but there's a time a place for everything. That sort of behavior in public is a very poor reflection on the parents of these goofs. Were they raised by wolves?

I always shout, yell, and taunt the other players at the game. Especially when i get really close seats and they can hear me. I like to yell "you suck" and make fun of the players and things that come out about them in the media. Its also fun to call them sellouts when they sign big contracts with new teams and then dont produce. However i always try and be careful with profanity. There are always kids around with their parents and no one wants to hear f-this or sh*t. Sometimes i slip up in my rant and say A$$ or something, but i always try and keep it to a form of, "Hey sidney take your fat gut and fat contract back to baltimore you stinking sellout". I think thats appropriate, but please if you hear someone being extrmemly profane, just tell security.

SoxBoy14
06-29-2004, 10:22 AM
I hate when these things happen. What I hate even more is when people take those inncidents and blow them up saying that if you go to a Sox game you're gonna get beat up. Things like that happen at all ball parks, football fields, and any other sporting arena that sells beer. Not every game, but probably at least a couple times a year.

Jerko
06-29-2004, 10:28 AM
It never ceases to amaze me that people confront drunks or idiots. If you're at a baseball game, shopping mall, bar, street corner or wherever, ignore people who are drunk, swearing or causing problems. Alert someone else like security or police and let them deal with it or my favorite is to swallow my ego and walk away! I'm sure this "off-duty" cop with his family engaged in some conversation or yelling back and forth and thats ultimately what led to him getting attacked. I'm not saying that he deserved to get beat up, but if your going to mess with a couple of drunk guys, you better have some hand cuffs, mase and some backup, not your two young kids and a wife.
I kind of agree with you here. Sounds like this cop was a little too full of his stature as a cop and the world has to bow to him. "Hey, I'm a cop, you better watch yourselves". Looks like he should have watched himself. Call the people that are on duty at the game, don't be Joe Hard Guy Cop with your family with you. He should know how drunks act just in his normal course of work. The last thing a bunch of beer-muscled drunks need is somebody telling them to shut up, and then add the hard guy factor in by announcing his sainthood as a cop and you're just putting yourself in danger for no reason. I'm not saying he or his wife deserved to get beat up, but he was supposedly the level headed sober one (I'm assuming Mr. Perfect wasn't drinking in front of his kids) and if he wouldn't have been so impressed with himself and had to let the entire world know he was a cop, this might not have happened. And no, I am not anti-cop; I work with and know a lot of them and they all know better than to approach a group of drunks while off duty, unarmed, and with their families.

WSox8404
06-29-2004, 10:45 AM
It's "loser" and not "looser."

One of my (least) favorite common mistakes.

Thank you:bandance:
Maybe he meant loose. I bet being a life long cub fan would be 'loose' somewhere.:o:

havelj
06-29-2004, 10:47 AM
By no means did this off-duty cop and his wife deserve this. However (especially with kids) he should have not tried to be the enforcer of policy here and gotten the hired security to resolve a potential dangerous situation.

I remember really rough crowds at Old Comiskey in the late 70's being about 10 years old with my mom and dad. There were some fans similar to this and my dad just got up and got the off-duty cops to take care of it.

Kogs35
06-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Marc Silverman who has been sticking up for the Cell...
good. have people been calling and bashing the moron

Iwritecode
06-29-2004, 10:56 AM

Not in the chicago media...

They STILL bring up the idiots that ran on the field last year, the radio host that got beat up a few years ago, etc...

SOXSINCE'70
06-29-2004, 10:59 AM
That's befitting of someone Sox fans consider the Anti Christ.:angry: :angry:

pinwheels3530
06-29-2004, 11:30 AM
I remember last year a some sox fans yelling at a group of about 30 senior citizens who were Oakland fans after the sox beat the A's. The group was from out of town and they looked scared:redface: It's always the immature twenty something crowd that does these stupid things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Risk
06-29-2004, 11:36 AM
By no means did this off-duty cop and his wife deserve this. However (especially with kids) he should have not tried to be the enforcer of policy here and gotten the hired security to resolve a potential dangerous situation.

I remember really rough crowds at Old Comiskey in the late 70's being about 10 years old with my mom and dad. There were some fans similar to this and my dad just got up and got the off-duty cops to take care of it.
One of them might have been my grandfather. :smile:

Risk

TornLabrum
06-29-2004, 11:38 AM
I received a reply from Frank Main who wrote the article. It appeared today because Guerra decided to speak to reporters today. I replied with a rant about how the sportsblab stations, particularly Mariotti, have jumped all over it.

JRIG
06-29-2004, 11:43 AM
I received a reply from Frank Main who wrote the article. It appeared today because Guerra decided to speak to reporters today. I replied with a rant about how the sportsblab stations, particularly Mariotti, have jumped all over it.
Yep. This story finally moved over the AP wires today, which is why it's being picked up by so many people.

jackbrohamer
06-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Is that why he never bothers going to the park?

hawkjt
06-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Rants like todays just expose him for what he is - a shock jockwriter. He has no creditbility in the city that he writes. Nationally he is perfect for rant and rave shows cuz that sells. When you have 5-6 individuals he cites as creating a hellhole which constitutes .0000001 % of the 4 million people thru the gate since the lague incident he comes off as laughable. But Kenny Williams and JR should be furious with the flagship station allowing such over the top and misleading rants on the air. This is the city and when people drink stuff happens in every venue that serves alcohol. I had to laugh when he says his solution is to build a ballpark in the south loop where the customers will be better behaved suburbanites that work downtown. This incident starred the 3 attackers from Carol Stream against the off duty cop from the burbs. Ligues were suburbanites as was the guy that attacked the ump. Thats the solution -ban suburbanites. Just plain dumb.

Philo-Sox-er
06-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Always read these types of comments as self-disclosive. What I mean to say is, if he is saying this, what he is truly expressing is his own cowardice. Mary-Potty was the nerd who got wedgies and swirlies in high school and is now trying to ruffle feathers because he is the teacher's pet and he thinks nobody can hurt him. He is a woosie, plain and simple.

Jerome
06-29-2004, 01:03 PM
I think Rambo Guerra has no one but himself to blame for this. OOOO. He's an off duty cop. Okay Mr. Of Duty Cop. Since you came over to my section and told me to, I will stop swearing. There is no excuse for what those white trash did to him, but it could've been prevented. :(:

DrCrawdad
06-29-2004, 01:08 PM
http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0629/3473018.jpg
Nice going tough guys.

maurice
06-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Ditto. All three men were idiots in this case. Only a very great fool would put his wife and children in danger by going out of his way to confront two drunk men.

In any event, it looks like the two drunks are the ones who took the beating. They were transported to Mercy hospital after one of them had "a little accident" in the security room at the Cell.

Viva Magglio
06-29-2004, 02:29 PM
I find it quite interestng that this story made the Bright One a full week after the fact. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want, but I wonder if they put forth this story because the media was pissed off at all the positive attention the Sox got in the wake of winning the series against the Cubs and the García trade. In other words, they could not stand it and had to puncture our balloon.

BarbG
06-29-2004, 02:43 PM
I didn't understand that either. It sounded like it actually happened afterwards...

It was afterwards. We were there, the scuffle was contained and over very quickly and it was such a non-issue I didn't even mention it when I got home.

Little did I know the danger we were in! I actually saw the story in the Tribune this morning, and gagged...

Philo-Sox-er
06-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want, but I wonder if they put forth this story because the media was pissed off at all the positive attention the Sox got in the wake of winning the series against the Cubs and the García trade.
They have a whole bunch saved up: Moronotti is going to have a lead story, after the Sox sweep the Cubs this weekend, about how he, the great Moronotti had to wait five minutes for a beer at the Cell during last weekend's series, whereas at the "Shrine" he makes the Cubs' Al Jolson, Woo Woo over and get him one in a lickety split.

Frankfan4life
06-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Besides the beating of the cop and his wife and the trauma it caused their two young sons, I am also appalled at why White Sox security failed to eject these morons after they were called to the scene before the incident.

At one point before the violence, a Sox usher told the Vicarios to stop cursing and called security, prosecutors said. Three White Sox security officers arrived and Richard Vicario cursed at them -- using racial epithets, prosecutors said. He also allegedly spat in their faces.
I mean what does it take for security to eject a person from the ballpark? :?:

If the Sox want to keep fans, they've got to do a better job than that at keeping the peace. If I rat a person out for being an A-hole, I'd better get some results. I expect security to stay close by and observe the alleged perps and then eject them if they behave like jackases again.

I didn't hear Moronotti's show today (thank goodness) but I hope he had a rep from Cell security on his show to discuss this situation and assure fans that security will be less tolerant about boorish behavior in the future. It would surprise me if he did because that would have been fair to the Sox.

Dadawg_77
06-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Besides the beating of the cop and his wife and the trauma it caused their two young sons, I am also appalled at why White Sox security failed to eject these morons after they were called to the scene before the incident.

I mean what does it take for security to eject a person from the ballpark? :?:

If the Sox want to keep fans, they've got to do a better job than that at keeping the peace. If I rat a person out for being an A-hole, I'd better get some results. I expect security to stay close by and observe the alleged perps and then eject them if they behave like jackases again.

I didn't hear Moronotti's show today (thank goodness) but I hope he had a rep from Cell security on his show to discuss this situation and assure fans that security will be less tolerant about boorish behavior in the future. It would surprise me if he did because that would have been fair to the Sox.
One has to wonder, what cop would let some spit in their face and get away with it.

doctor30th
06-29-2004, 03:43 PM
the mother of the 2 who were arrested was on the radio today and said that the off duty cop had pushed down one of the men's wives and then grabbed one of the men.

It was on the score, apparently she thinks they are trying to cover for an off duty cop who started it.

Now she said they have several reliable witnesses to this but that no one will talk to them because it's an off duty cop who was invovled.

I'm not saying I believe her, I'm just reporting what I heard on the radio.

Frankfan4life
06-29-2004, 04:06 PM
One has to wonder, what cop would let some spit in their face and get away with it.Not only that, but hurling racial slurs too?

I think some Sox security personnel have some 'splainin to do.

Dadawg_77
06-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Not only that, but hurling racial slurs too?

I think some Sox security personnel have some 'splainin to do.
Who is to say it happened though? Something probally did happen but one witness exaggerates it a bit and boom its in the paper.

TommyJohn
06-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Not only that, but hurling racial slurs too?

I think some Sox security personnel have some 'splainin to do.That is the part of this incident that is BAFFLING me. Do you mean to tell me
that those two spit at security, called them racial names and they were not
immediately ejected? I find that VERY, VERY HARD TO BELIEVE. Anyone who
did that would be-should be pitched out on their keister. I am not sure that I
believe this part of the story. Or that it happened in another manner. It is in
the police report though, I think. Still, something doesn't sound right.

alohafri
06-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Moronotti...who else?
Moronotti would have to look over his shoulder.

Jeremy
06-29-2004, 10:55 PM
my take-

those guys are morons, but they do have freedom of speech and if you don't like it just let the security handle it. If you handle it on your own, you are risking being involved in a fight. I can't fathom how it's possible to spit in a security guards face and not be thrown out of the ball park. I don't think this thing happens at Wrigley too often... I've been there many times and haven't seen one fight, I've seen about 50 or so at Comiskey. They do curse and use foul language in the stands at Wrigley, the Bleachers especially, but it's not ghetto gang-bangers like we have at Comiskey. But once again, it's easy to avoid trouble and getting beaten up if you mind your own buisness and let security police the ballpark.

kittle545feet
06-29-2004, 11:19 PM

I remember really rough crowds at Old Comiskey in the late 70's being about 10 years old with my mom and dad. There were some fans similar to this and my dad just got up and got the off-duty cops to take care of it.amen man, thats how its done. get the the:cool: people who are there to handle it, to handle it.

kittle545feet
06-29-2004, 11:30 PM
my take-

those guys are morons, but they do have freedom of speech and if you don't like it just let the security handle it. If you handle it on your own, you are risking being involved in a fight. I can't fathom how it's possible to spit in a security guards face and not be thrown out of the ball park. I don't think this thing happens at Wrigley too often... I've been there many times and haven't seen one fight, I've seen about 50 or so at Comiskey. They do curse and use foul language in the stands at Wrigley, the Bleachers especially, but it's not ghetto gang-bangers like we have at Comiskey. But once again, it's easy to avoid trouble and getting beaten up if you mind your own buisness and let security police the ballpark.ghetto gang bangers? what the hell games are you going too? these things don't happen at wrigley? what color is the sky in your world? i want what you been smoking! look this crap happens at EVERY ballpark and especially at wrigley. look at the arrest sheets. there is so much evidence to refute what you are saying its not funny. my advice is go get security and let them handle it when someone is out of line and if your a sox fan, stay out of wrigley unless the sox are playing. the place is a sh*t hole. here are some impersanations of profanity in the bleachers at wrigley field: " hey, shut the fu*k up guys, sammy's up", "what f*cking bar are we going to after the 7th inning stretch", "the f*cking ivy is cool but whats the score?". and so on........... thanks for letting me vent!:tongue:

Jerko
06-30-2004, 08:55 AM
I think it's becoming a catch-22 with this security force. I originally posted that Hard-Guy Joe Police Officer should have let the security handle this situation, but who DIDN'T KICK THESE CLOWNS OUT AFTER GETTING SPAT UPON? Security. Maybe the fans don't TRUST security to do their jobs so they try to do it for them, especially a cop with a "greater than thou because I'm a cop" attitude. I've seen security at the Cell run the other way when fights start so to just say "let security handle it" is wrong in this situation based on the past actions of the securty force. Also, it says he (cop) was going to section 122 AFTER the game to get autographs. For one, I don't think they sign after the game, and 2, if he didn't have tickets in 122 who let him down there? Ushers and security? Nobody was watching these 2 guys on their way out after having an in-game scrap with them that included spitting and racial slurs? I don't know who to believe anymore in this situation; fault can be spread around evenly here between the Idiot Brothers, Rambo Guerra, and the security force.

gosox41
06-30-2004, 10:16 AM
I think it's becoming a catch-22 with this security force. I originally posted that Hard-Guy Joe Police Officer should have let the security handle this situation, but who DIDN'T KICK THESE CLOWNS OUT AFTER GETTING SPAT UPON? Security. Maybe the fans don't TRUST security to do their jobs so they try to do it for them, especially a cop with a "greater than thou because I'm a cop" attitude. I've seen security at the Cell run the other way when fights start so to just say "let security handle it" is wrong in this situation based on the past actions of the securty force. Also, it says he (cop) was going to section 122 AFTER the game to get autographs. For one, I don't think they sign after the game, and 2, if he didn't have tickets in 122 who let him down there? Ushers and security? Nobody was watching these 2 guys on their way out after having an in-game scrap with them that included spitting and racial slurs? I don't know who to believe anymore in this situation; fault can be spread around evenly here between the Idiot Brothers, Rambo Guerra, and the security force.

I've got to question anyone who feels the need to call Jay Marriotti to tell his side of the story. But that's what Guerra did according to Jay's article.

Bob

Jerko
06-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Plus, who knows if Mariotti even wrote what Rambo told him? I can't believe he would embellish facts for the purpose of ripping the Sox