PDA

View Full Version : Interesting fact on Garcia trade...

LASOXFAN
06-29-2004, 12:51 AM
As posted by Peter Gammons on ESPN...

Question. How many times has a starter picked up in season helped his team win the World Series?

Answer. Tom Zachary was picked up on waivers from the Washington Senators in August, 1928 by the New York Yankees (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy). In October of that year, he won a start for the Yankees in the World Series.

Since then only one pitcher has been traded in season to a World Series winner and also won a World Series start for his new team. That was Mike Torrez, who was traded to the Yankees from Oakland on April 27th, 1977. He went on to win two games of the 1977 Series including a complete-game clincher in Game 6. Oakland was 11-7 at the time of the trade.

That's sort of discouraging, in my opinion.

DMarte708
06-29-2004, 03:25 AM
Discouraging? Nope.

I'm positive Sox chances of reaching their World Series would have been exponentially higher if there never was a trade.

DrCrawdad
06-29-2004, 04:54 AM

Question. How many times has a starter picked up in season helped his team win the World Series?

Answer. Tom Zachary was picked up on waivers from the Washington Senators in August, 1928 by the New York Yankees (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy). In October of that year, he won a start for the Yankees in the World Series.

Since then only one pitcher has been traded in season to a World Series winner and also won a World Series start for his new team. That was Mike Torrez, who was traded to the Yankees from Oakland on April 27th, 1977. He went on to win two games of the 1977 Series including a complete-game clincher in Game 6. Oakland was 11-7 at the time of the trade.

That's sort of discouraging, in my opinion.

While it didn't lead to a World Series win, IIRC, Rick Sutcliffe lead the Cubbies to a divisional title and nearly a trip to the World Series.

SEALgep
06-29-2004, 08:18 AM

That's sort of discouraging, in my opinion.I look at it as less discouraging, and more of a worthless fact. I'm not going to let those kind of mind sets be an excuse or a reason to not win. We have a real good ball club, and Gammons is an idiot. Enough said.

Philo-Sox-er
06-29-2004, 08:22 AM
There's a thread "57-0" on this already.

GoSox2K3
06-29-2004, 08:35 AM
We already talked about this yesterday. Don't be fooled by Gammons misleading article! I think his article gives the reader the quick impression that no team that acquired a starter in mid-season went on to win the World Series. That's not what he's really saying!! My reply from yesterday is below:

That Gammons comment sounds misleading. He's saying that only once since 1928 has a team acquired a starter who went on to record the win in a game in that year's WS.

That's not the same as saying that no team except the 77 Yanks that ever acquired a starter in mid-season ever made it to the WS or ever won the WS.

:boston Everyone in Chicago should be rooting for the Cubs. The White Sox should be contracted..