PDA

View Full Version : I had to listen today just to laugh.

RedPinStripes
06-29-2004, 01:37 AM
On my 10 minute ride home from work i had the score on and i heard more stupidity out of Mike north in 10 minutes then i ever heard on sports radio.

"We just traded 3 future all-stars for a pitcher with 4 wins and a catcher hitting .091. " Miguel maybe, but he could be at his highest level now. Reed has all the ability to do it, all, but noone has seen it yet. And i've never even heard of this SS we traded and North is calling him a future all-star. 3 years in high A ball? Dont sound too impressive to me.

This idiot fails to mention that Garcia has a 3.20 era and cant help his record since Seattle sucks so bad. I'm not crazy about Davis, but wasnt he on the DL for a while? IIRC he dont have many at bats. This guy goes out of his way to give half the facts just to make conversation with dumb fans who waste time argueing with him. I've never called his show and never will because anything that grabs my attention that he says is completly rediculous.

I miss Miguel, but pitching wins championships. And this rotation is a hell of a lot better with Garland as a #4 or 5. Not sure If shoony will get back in teh rotation, but Diaz and Rauch had nice outings. If we're trying to figure out what to do with Diaz, shoony , and Rauch, it's a nice problem to have. 2 of them could be gone by next week though. Who knows? I'll take team improvement over nail bitting rookies.

Needless to say, i got a few laughs out of it, but it didnt last the whole 10 minute ride home. I had to change the station.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-29-2004, 01:52 AM
i know. i wish someone would tell him that when garcia pitched this year for the mariners, the mariners scored 21 runs total in 15 games. buehrle gets nearly 10 runs a game on average.

JB98
06-29-2004, 01:56 AM
North thinks Morse is a future All-Star?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What an idiot!

skobabe8
06-29-2004, 02:41 AM
Probably one of the most blatantly biased discussions I've ever heard. North didn't like the trade, and twisted every stat he could to make it sound like the most lopsided trade in baseball history. And you know Buffone won't disagree. Horrible radio.

Mohoney
06-29-2004, 03:00 AM
Probably one of the most blatantly biased discussions I've ever heard. North didn't like the trade, and twisted every stat he could to make it sound like the most lopsided trade in baseball history. And you know Buffone won't disagree. Horrible radio.

Why even listen in the first place? The guy is a stooge. You're better off listening to music on one of the oldies or Spanish stations. Personally, I can do without thoughtless, incendiary comments like:

:ass
"I think Ray Charles was lying all these years, Doug. I think the guy could see."

skobabe8
06-29-2004, 03:23 AM
Why even listen in the first place? The guy is a stooge. You're better off listening to music on one of the oldies or Spanish stations. Personally, I can do without thoughtless, incendiary comments like:

:ass
"I think Ray Charles was lying all these years, Doug. I think the guy could see."

Good question. Just a filler until MJ&H come on at 3 I guess. Plus I was under the dillusion that they might actually look at this trade from a positive viewpoint for a minute or three. Wroooooong.

soxtalker
06-29-2004, 07:35 AM
This is happening with people -- media and fans -- on both sides of the trade. Those that like the trade minimize the value of Olivo (catcher is easy to replace) and Reed (just a prospect). Those that dislike the trade minimize the value of Garcia, as RedPinStripes noted.

RedPinStripes obviously liked the trade, so this bothered him. I disliked the trade (intensely), and I am also irritated, but by the many radio personalities praising it. Like most things, this isn't a black and white issue, but rather there are shades of gray. But as Sox fans, we are passionate about our views; I know I am.

LongLiveFisk
06-29-2004, 09:32 AM
I hate when people use that phrase "future All-Star". I think we've seen plenty of "future All-Stars" and "can't miss prospects" that are probably used car salesmen (or something else) by now. There is really no such thing; these guys may have great potential but it's quite obvious that you still have to prove yourself once you're in the bigs, and that's very tough to do no matter how talented you may be.

Maybe I should call North today and ask him for tonight's Mega Millions winning numbers if he's that good at predicting the future.

TDog
06-29-2004, 11:56 AM
I've read where Reed has Buddy Bradford tools. No one calls them Buddy Bradford tools anymore, but his five tools included awesome power. One of his -- what was it, 22? -- career home runs sailed over the roof at old Comiskey.

I liked Olivo. A lot. I've never seen Reed play, and he might prove to be outstanding. Even better than Buddy Bradford. I used to hear great things about Shawn Abner's future. The fact is, it's not a given you make the All-Star team if you're Magglio Ordonez. Olivo isn't going to be as good as the young catcher from Cleveland already is. If Olivo played on a poor team that had no stand-out player, he might be selected as an All-Star, but I don't think the catching position is so thin anymore.

I have seen Garcia pitch. I know he is tough on the Twinks. (I think he lost his last Minnesota start 4-2, but I believe he shut the Twinks down earlier this year.) If the Sox had been unwilling to give up Olivio and Reed and a future All-Star infielder no one has ever heard of, they wouldn't have Garcia.

I will miss Olivo, but the deal makes the Sox a better team.

SOXSINCE'70
06-29-2004, 12:05 PM
On my 10 minute ride home from work i had the score on and i heard more stupidity out of Mike north in 10 minutes then i ever heard on sports radio.

"We just traded 3 future all-stars for a pitcher with 4 wins and a catcher hitting .091. " Miguel maybe, but he could be at his highest level now. Reed has all the ability to do it, all, but noone has seen it yet. And i've never even heard of this SS we traded and North is calling him a future all-star. 3 years in high A ball? Dont sound too impressive to me.

This idiot fails to mention that Garcia has a 3.20 era and cant help his record since Seattle sucks so bad. I'm not crazy about Davis, but wasnt he on the DL for a while? IIRC he dont have many at bats. This guy goes out of his way to give half the facts just to make conversation with dumb fans who waste time argueing with him. I've never called his show and never will because anything that grabs my attention that he says is completly rediculous.

I miss Miguel, but pitching wins championships. And this rotation is a hell of a lot better with Garland as a #4 or 5. Not sure If shoony will get back in teh rotation, but Diaz and Rauch had nice outings. If we're trying to figure out what to do with Diaz, shoony , and Rauch, it's a nice problem to have. 2 of them could be gone by next week though. Who knows? I'll take team improvement over nail bitting rookies.

Needless to say, i got a few laughs out of it, but it didnt last the whole 10 minute ride home. I had to change the station.
This is why I refuse to listen to these drillrods.:(: :(:

hawkjt
06-29-2004, 01:12 PM
North has a feud with KW ever since Kenny was hired over the great Danny Evans. It is mainly a racial thing with North. Reinsdorf hires too many minority candidates for jobs with the sox for north's taste. Also north hates DJ cuz north interviewed for the color job(laughable) when Wimpy went away. So he grinds away with these grudges all the time. Claims to be a sox fan but never goes to a game. Threatened to stop being a sox fan last year. good riddance.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Given the 'outrage' being expressed over Jay Mariotti's comments today it makes you wonder if the Sox will be going from 'the frying pan,' into the 'fire' if they decide to jump ship and head to WSCR Radio.

The Sox don't have many viable options do they?

Lip

Jerome
06-29-2004, 01:50 PM
This is the same guy who wanted Dick Jaron to continue being the Bears head Coach, the same guy who thinks Negro League Players shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, etc. I like some of his political views (some, not all), but other than that the guy is a certifiable Moron. Between Boers and Berstein and MJH, I always look forward to Dan Patrick's show, because there is no way I would ever listen to the Wiseguys.

RKMeibalane
06-29-2004, 02:17 PM
I think Miguel may eventually be an All Star, but I still have a number of questions about Reed. He has played extremely well at the minor league, but as someone else pointed out, Shawn Abner did the exact same thing. So did Kevin Mass. Neither man is that well remembered in baseball cirlces today. North is just trying to make the Sox look bad (again). If KW hadn't made the deal, I'm sure North would be complaining about how Williams is a terrible GM. The Chicago media are never satisfied when it comes to the Sox. Every decision is scrutinized; every trade is second-guessed. I realize these people need to write stories, discuss topcis for their radio shows, etc, but sometimes I wish they'd all just shut the hell up.

Irishsox1
06-29-2004, 02:23 PM
If Mike North thinks its a bad trade, then I know that its a good trade. However, I love the baseball insight from a former hot dog vender.

Dan H
06-29-2004, 03:26 PM
I don't which is worse: Mike North analyzing a baseball trade, or Mike North dishing out his political opinions. It is a too close to call.

nasox
06-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Given the 'outrage' being expressed over Jay Mariotti's comments today it makes you wonder if the Sox will be going from 'the frying pan,' into the 'fire' if they decide to jump ship and head to WSCR Radio.

The Sox don't have many viable options do they?

Lip
what about 780?

dcb33
06-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Let's not forget that one minute he says "I think the Sox could've won this thing with what they had and without Garcia." Then when he talks to Doug about his picks he says "I picked Minneosta from the start and I won't change my mind!

Viva Magglio
06-29-2004, 10:52 PM
what about 780?I'm not sure WBBM would want to interrupt its all news format for 15-20 spring training games, 162 regular season games, and at least 11 postseason games. Including time for pre and postgame shows, that would be over 600 hours of non-news programming. Bears games are a separate issue because they take place on Sundays (almost always slow news days).

I think WSCR is the most viable option for the White Sox at this point. Despite his asinine rants, North has a good relationship with Reinsdorf.

Palehose13
06-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Well, North not liking the trade doesn't surprise me one bit. Remember, this guy thought that Shane Matthews was the Bears future at QB and that Jauron shouldn't be fired (after he preached that he should be by mid-season after the first four games...). However, I tuned in for a quick 15 minutes today and he was ripping on the cubs for being "full of themselves for no reason", in reference to the many cubs-media fiascos this year and now the cubs have a "waiting area" for the media after the games (which according to North, no toher team does).