PDA

View Full Version : Next Step!

Petch
06-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Ok, now that we have Freddy, I have a proposal. Screw the braves, and screw the pirates, and screw any other team that wants to trade with us until we resign Magglio. Give him the money. We don't need to use him to get our 5th starter any more. That trade with the Braves would be pointless unless it is 100% that we aren't able to resign Maggs. Once you get Maggs under contract, you get Freddy for 3 or 4 more years at around 10 million a year. We have the money, providing that Magglio doesn't act like an *******. If there is still cash after that, then you go for Kendall or another starter, or even some bullpen help (possibly Urbina). That is what I would do anyway. What do you think?

Daver
06-28-2004, 11:10 PM
I think Magglio Ordonez is looking for a payday he is not worth.

doublem23
06-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Agreed. If the Sox have offered him the kind of money they have and Maggs is not taking it, he doesn't want to be here because no one in their right mind will pay him what he is expecting.

I love Maggs, but he's not worth what he apparently wants.

mendozaln
06-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Agreed. If the Sox have offered him the kind of money they have and Maggs is not taking it, he doesn't want to be here because no one in their right mind will pay him what he is expecting.
But haven't the Angels and Yankees proved that not everyone is in their right mind yet? :smile: No way do I pay him $14-15 mil, but he may just get it.

doublem23
06-28-2004, 11:17 PM
But haven't the Angels and Yankees proved that not everyone is in their right mind yet? :smile: No way do I pay him $14-15 mil, but he may just get it.
Oh, I agree, and that's what scares me about Maggs testing the F/A markets, but, oh well... That's $10+ million that could be better spent.

Whitesox029
06-28-2004, 11:26 PM
How about this: Let's sit tight until about a week before the deadline, to see how things are going. If they are going well, blow off the deadline. If we can get to the ALCS, we will be able to generate a large amount of unexpected revenue from playoff games with which we might be able to pull off signing both Freddy and Maggs. If things are not going well, then maybe you try to deal maggs for a #1 caliber starter for the home stretch of 2004. Roy Halladay jumps to mind (he is signed for a couple more years).

MRKARNO
06-28-2004, 11:31 PM
f things are not going well, then maybe you try to deal maggs for a #1 caliber starter for the home stretch of 2004. Roy Halladay jumps to mind (he is signed for a couple more years).
1. Halladay aint going anywhere

2. We got the best pitcher on the trade market already. Anyone we get will be a step down from Garcia

jabrch
06-29-2004, 12:57 AM
Very well said Daver...I agree

If he just wants more money - he better be prepared to go elsewhere to get it.

hold2dibber
06-29-2004, 08:07 AM
How about this: Let's sit tight until about a week before the deadline, to see how things are going. If they are going well, blow off the deadline. If we can get to the ALCS, we will be able to generate a large amount of unexpected revenue from playoff games with which we might be able to pull off signing both Freddy and Maggs. If things are not going well, then maybe you try to deal maggs for a #1 caliber starter for the home stretch of 2004. Roy Halladay jumps to mind (he is signed for a couple more years).
Why would the Blue Jays trade a top of the rotation starter who is under contract for several more years in return for 3 months of Maggs when the Blue Jays aren't even in the playoff hunt? Answer: They would not.

joeynach
06-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Ok, now that we have Freddy, I have a proposal. Screw the braves, and screw the pirates, and screw any other team that wants to trade with us until we resign Magglio. Give him the money. We don't need to use him to get our 5th starter any more. That trade with the Braves would be pointless unless it is 100% that we aren't able to resign Maggs. Once you get Maggs under contract, you get Freddy for 3 or 4 more years at around 10 million a year. We have the money, providing that Magglio doesn't act like an *******. If there is still cash after that, then you go for Kendall or another starter, or even some bullpen help (possibly Urbina). That is what I would do anyway. What do you think?
Too much for garcia he is making like 6.8 mil now. You offer like 3 years 24 mil. That should be fine for him. Then you offer maggs 5 years and 65 mil. Thats the money that 21 mil that otherwise would have been free next year. I think there is actually a few mil left. If we keep attendance up there should be ever more $$ to spend. So lets say after Maggs and Freddy you have 5 to 10 mil to spend. You can choose between Loiaza or Valentin or look to hit the FA market maybe pick up a Scott Williamson or such. THat should shore up a pretty competitive team considering the twins will probably loose Hunter, Guzman, Mienkevietch, and a few others due to FA.

Flight #24
06-29-2004, 09:37 AM
FWIW - someone posted yesterday that Bruce Levine said Maggs is looking for $15mil/yr. Not sure if that's true, but if so, he's asking to leave IMO. I'd actually be surprised if anyone gives it to him since that's way over his market value, but desperate teams (read: Mets) often do silly, desperate things.

The Sox do NOT need to do that. If he wants $$$ like that, I wish him good luck and he can go on his way. I'm pretty confident that we can have a better team spending $15mil on a couple of other players.

jabrch
06-29-2004, 09:47 AM
FWIW - someone posted yesterday that Bruce Levine said Maggs is looking for $15mil/yr. Not sure if that's true, but if so, he's asking to leave IMO. I'd actually be surprised if anyone gives it to him since that's way over his market value, but desperate teams (read: Mets) often do silly, desperate things.

The Sox do NOT need to do that. If he wants $$$ like that, I wish him good luck and he can go on his way. I'm pretty confident that we can have a better team spending $15mil on a couple of other players.
I am a Magglio fan. I have a Magglio jersey. I like Magglio.

That said, if it is 15mm that he wants, in any format, incentives, deferred, back loaded, whatever - he can go #*&^ off. He just isn't worth that. He isn't worth Vlad Guerrero money. If the Mets are dumb enough to pay that (on top of Hidalgo's bad-ass contract for next year) then they are welcome to it. If he told JR/KW that he wants 15mm, I'd call up Scheurholtz and see what it would take to get Ortiz+Jones+Estrada and I'd do it. You want one of our top 3 OF prospects, one of our non-honel pitching prospects and Magglio? You got it. IF IF IF - he wants 15mm that is.

mendozaln
06-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Too much for garcia he is making like 6.8 mil now. You offer like 3 years 24 mil. That should be fine for him.
I think he'll get much more than $8 mil/yr. He's making $6.8 mil and performing very well. Although Garcia's not always consistent within-season, if you look across seasons I think he's easily the most consitent young starter available. Ponson got $7.5 mil last year, after only one good season. Garcia has been far better. IMO the $10 mil offer is a pretty good guess.

HomeFish
06-29-2004, 09:56 AM
We got the best pitcher on the trade market already. Anyone we get will be a step down from Garcia

Except he wouldn't be replacing Garcia, making that irrelevant.

They'd certainly be a step up from Garland, Shoenweiss, Rauch, or Diaz.

MRKARNO
06-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Except he wouldn't be replacing Garcia, making that irrelevant.

They'd certainly be a step up from Garland, Shoenweiss, Rauch, or Diaz.
Very true, but if one is among those that believes that we didn't get a no. 1 pitcher with Garcia, then no one on the trade market is going to fill that need in that person's opinion