PDA

View Full Version : Would you give up Garland

Madbilly
06-28-2004, 10:46 PM
Would you give up Garland (with Maggs) if it meant getting Estrada (with Ortiz and Jones).

bafiarocks03
06-28-2004, 10:48 PM
omg don't say things like that.......thats horrible.........its gonna be bad enough loseing my maggs, im not gonna lose my Jon too............i'd have to kill KW if he ever did that......but he wouldn't give up a starting pitcher!!!

gosox3072
06-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Would you give up Garland (with Maggs) if it meant getting Estrada (with Ortiz and Jones).no

MRKARNO
06-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Garland and Maggs for Ortiz, Jones and Estrada? That would be good for us talent-wise, but Ortiz is an FA and Garland is ours through 2006 I believe

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-28-2004, 10:53 PM
i dont think estrada is available at all. they traded millwood for him and let go of javier lopez for him. he is going nowhere

doublem23
06-28-2004, 10:56 PM
I doubt the Braves are shopping Johnny Estrada, but I would trade Maggs and Jon for Ortiz, Jones, and Estrada in a second.

Mohoney
06-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Would you give up Garland (with Maggs) if it meant getting Estrada (with Ortiz and Jones).

NO MAGGS FOR JONES! PERIOD! I would rather Maggs walk and get the draft picks and focus on THIS YEAR! This is our last hurrah with the Frank-Maggs-Paulie-Carlos Lee-Buehrle core group. Let's try to make it count.

Would I give up Garland in a package that entails Pittsburgh eating 65%-75% of Jason Kendall's contract? In a heartbeat.

RedPinStripes
06-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Garland should have alot of trade value. If someone could toughen him up mentally he'd be a top AL pitcher IMO.

Petch
06-28-2004, 11:00 PM
No way, but that would never happen anyway.

Madbilly
06-28-2004, 11:34 PM
NO MAGGS FOR JONES! PERIOD! I would rather Maggs walk and get the draft picks and focus on THIS YEAR! This is our last hurrah with the Frank-Maggs-Paulie-Carlos Lee-Buehrle core group. Let's try to make it count.

Would I give up Garland in a package that entails Pittsburgh eating 65%-75% of Jason Kendall's contract? In a heartbeat.
Would you trade Kendall straight up for Garland

lowesox
06-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Let's not suggest trading Jon Garland - KW is stupid enough to do it. It's so sad that he's lost just about all of our young talent.

I cannot wait for the next GM.

doublem23
06-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Let's not suggest trading Jon Garland - KW is stupid enough to do it. It's so sad that he's lost just about all of our young talent.

Yep... Ron Schueler sitting on all those great pitching prospects really got us somewhere, right?

:rolleyes:

That said, I would only deal Jon in exchange for another front-of-the-line starter.

Mohoney
06-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Absolutely. I want to win now.

That is, if Reinsdorf approved a payroll hike, and we can get Pittsburgh to eat enough contract.

I'll even go a step further and try to get Steve Finley, if he can be had for lesser prospects and cash.

If we get Jason Kendall and Steve Finley, and the most marquee player we give up is Jon Garland, then we have a legitimate shot at the whole ball of wax.

Garland and a middle-tier pitching prospect for Kendall and sizable cash, and two middle-tier prospects (one of which probably being outfield help) for Finley and cash.

Boy, would this everyday lineup look sweet:

1 Finley CF
2 Kendall C
3 Ordonez RF
4 Thomas DH
5 Lee LF
6 Konerko 1B
7 Valentin SS
8 Crede 3B
9 Uribe 2B

With a bench of Alomar, Harris, Rowand, Perez, and Burke with Gload sent to AAA to make room for Finley. No knock against Ross, but I would rather have Timo Perez as my 5th OF and Jamie Burke as my 3rd C/25th man.

As for the rotation, these are our 5 starters:

Buehrle, Loaiza, Garcia, Schoenweis, and whoever pitches their way in between Rauch and Diaz.

With Schoenweis on the DL and Garland traded, we could give each guy a few starts, and when Schoenweis comes back, one of them goes to the bullpen, where we desperately need help anyway.

Garland might be a lot to give up, but I'm looking at this year as the last hurrah for this core. If we don't win it this year, we just blow the whole thing up and start anew.

Maggs walks, we get draft compensation. Garcia walks, we get draft compensation. Loaiza walks, we get draft compensation. Lee and Konerko are traded, since they both have walk years in 2005.

We, as Sox fans, need to realize that this half go for it now, half keep an eye on the future approach just doesn't work. We need to go for it all, and we can't be timid.

Look at the Indians and the Tigers. Look at how well their rebuilding programs are going. By 2006, we will be closer to last place than 1st place anyway. This is the last chance with this core.

jabrch
06-29-2004, 12:58 AM
No - then we are back to needing a SP again.

jabrch
06-29-2004, 12:59 AM

Ladies and gentlemen - boys and girls - children of all ages - Welcome to the dumbest post of the day!

Nick@Nite
06-29-2004, 05:58 AM
No

SSN721
06-29-2004, 06:49 AM
All the bitching on here about the need for more pitching and some of you want to trade Garland now? I think it is a horrible idea, the only way I trade Garland is if he is packaged with someone else to get a better pitcher or more pitchers. We lose him and we have the 5th starter black hole again. Our offense is awesome and we dont need Jason Kendall to the point of breaking up the rotation. That is just crazy in my opinion. We lose Garland and dont pick up anymore pitching our chances in the post season or getting there are drastically reduced I think.

Philo-Sox-er
06-29-2004, 08:32 AM
Pitching wins, period. I think Garland is perfect as the #4 pitcher and we'd be dumb to let him go. He is going to win a lot more games for us pitching against every other team's #4 starter. Someone mentioned toughing him up too...well, I think his confidence will go up when he is mathed up against other #4 starters and this will be a major building time for him as well.

If we give up Maggs, my guess is that we will allow the other team to negotiate with him before the deal is done--which means they are trading to secure him for next year and beyond. The Braves, if they make a trade with us, are looking to next year, not this year. Hence, we are giving up one of the best outfielders in the game. We should get a lot in return.

habibharu
06-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Would you give up Garland (with Maggs) if it meant getting Estrada (with Ortiz and Jones). i would do that trade yesterday. garland is gonna be nothing more than a 4 or 5 starter. estrada has as much, if not more upside than miggy

Brian26
06-29-2004, 01:22 PM

I agree with this sentiment a 1000%.

Brian26
06-29-2004, 01:23 PM
I agree with this sentiment a 1000%.

There would be something RIGHT about winning it all this year with Mags as our rightfielder, even if he walks after the end of the season.

owensmouth
06-29-2004, 01:47 PM
No. Not Garland by himself, nor with Magglio. I would not trade Garland.