PDA

View Full Version : Olivo hopes SOX win...........

twinsuck1
06-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Check out this link, must warn everyone kinda sad...........:(:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1831124

G-Ville Sox
06-28-2004, 10:15 PM
I am pretty excited about the Sox getting Garcia, but man, just hearing he broke down and cried kills me.....thats a guy who loved putting on black and silver every day

Good Luck Miguel

GO SOX

:gulp:

gobears1987
06-28-2004, 10:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1831124
It's not too sad. I liked Miggy, but this is baseball and Garcia will help win more games. I hope Miggy goes to a good team when his contract is up, hopefully the Sox

Brian26
06-28-2004, 10:32 PM
He's a good kid. I hope he becomes an all-star. I'll always root for him.

Philo-Sox-er
06-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Class act.

bafiarocks03
06-28-2004, 10:43 PM
:(: omg........thats so sad!!!!!!! im gonna miss my miguel olivo! i love him!!!!:(:

TornLabrum
06-28-2004, 10:52 PM
I like Olivo, too, and I hope he does well with Seattle except on those occasions they play the Sox. Sadly trades are part of the game. I hope I fall in love with Freddy Garcia later this week.

I've seen guys like Billy Pierce, Jim Landis, Luis Aparicio, and Nellie Fox get traded, so I'm used to players leaving, but Olivo's reaction parallels that of Earl Battey who cried when Chuck Comiskey told him that Bill Veeck had traded him to the Senators. Now I'll have them linked in my mind forever.

Still, I think the trade improves the club, and that's the most important thing.

gosox3072
06-28-2004, 10:52 PM
This proves once again what a class act olivo is. I will most defenatlely miss yelling MIGGYMO! at sox games when he was at bat.

doctor30th
06-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Anyone know how many years he has until he can be a free agent?

From the article, I wouldn't doubt if he came back in the future as a FA.

doublem23
06-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Well, he's always welcome to come back when he's an FA in a couple of years. Welcome to the business world of baseball.

34rancher
06-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Does anyone know when his contract is up?

Petch
06-28-2004, 10:59 PM
I will definately miss Olivo. I think he has the potential to be one of the best catchers in the league. Who knows, maybe some day we'll see him wearing black and silver again.

robertks61
06-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Good luck Olivo, you were a class act! Hope you return sometime.

Whitesox029
06-28-2004, 11:36 PM
I saw the same type of thing on the mariners website about garcia. He says he wants to sign with them at the end of the year.

MarqSox
06-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Does anyone know when his contract is up?He won't be eligible for free agency until after his 6th full season, IIRC, which would be after the 2007 season. I think.

MarqSox
06-28-2004, 11:40 PM
I saw the same type of thing on the mariners website about garcia. He says he wants to sign with them at the end of the year.No, he said he would be "open to the idea." Big difference. Besides, what's he going to say? "No, screw the Mariners, I'd never come back here." ?

doublem23
06-28-2004, 11:41 PM
That and it takes two to tango. Garcia said he'd want to come back to Seattle, but it's very unlikely they'll offer him what he wants.

Let's worry about 2005 after 2004, all right?

Williams has said he's very confident that the Sox will be able to sign Garcia to an extension. Who are you going to believe more? Williams or some guy on a Mariners' message board.

MRKARNO
06-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Williams has said he's very confident that the Sox will be able to sign Garcia to an extension. Who are you going to believe more? Williams or some guy on a Mariners' message board.
:boston

"Well obviously you trust me more. The Red Sox are on the verge of acquiring pitcher Randy Johnson for Kevin Youkilis and pitcher Byung-Hyun Kim."

nitetrain8601
06-28-2004, 11:52 PM
I feel sorry for Big Mo. I wish we could trade for him back. I know we can't and the fastest available we'll be able to get him is probably in 2007 when he's a FA. If we win the WS I think he should be sent a ring because he was proud to put on the silver and black. Go Big MO.

Navaro's Talent
06-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Olivo was really turning into one of my favorite players on the Sox. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be a great catcher someday. Hopefully, he will be back with the Sox by then. Anyways, it's sad to see him go, but I am happy that Freddy is here.

WSox8404
06-29-2004, 12:29 AM
Good luck Olivo, you were a class act! Hope you return sometime.
Agreed.

DrCrawdad
06-29-2004, 05:04 AM
No, he said he would be "open to the idea." Big difference. Besides, what's he going to say? "No, screw the Mariners, I'd never come back here." ?

At one time it seemed that most players who left the Sox said, 'No, screw the Sox, I'm glad I got out. I'll never come back here.'

SSN721
06-29-2004, 06:01 AM
Wow, what a great guy. This is really sad, although I also agree with a lot of others that this trade is more benificial to the White Sox. But it is so sad to see someone who bled silver and black have to leave the team, I wonder how many on our team have as strong an attachment. :(:

E Coast Sox Fan
06-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Olivo was a class act. No doubt about it. Maybe he'll wear Sox uniform again.

I hope that when Olivo returns to Chicago (July 9) as a Mariner:

1) The Sox organization does something nice for him (i.e. a special announcement / something on the scoreboard / Whatever) and

2) The Chicago fans give him a Standing O.

He deserves it.

SoxBoy14
06-29-2004, 09:48 AM
I hope Olivio does well with the Mariners, he better get some playing time over there. We're playing them in a week so I hope everyone gives him a standing O!

daveeym
06-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Olivo was a class act. No doubt about it. Maybe he'll wear Sox uniform again.

I hope that when Olivo returns to Chicago (July 9) as a Mariner:

1) The Sox organization does something nice for him (i.e. a special announcement / something on the scoreboard / Whatever) and

2) The Chicago fans give him a Standing O.

He deserves it.He's gonna be crying again on that day from the standing O guaranteed. Can't remember the last player that no one had anything bad to say about on the sox. People may rationally analyze that he's no piazza etc. but never a bad word about him.

maggliofan10
06-29-2004, 02:11 PM
everyone that can go should go July 9 and give MO a standing O. He deserves it. We love u MO!!! Hope to see you back in black and silver some day soon!!:olivo

Frankfan4life
06-29-2004, 03:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1831124Thanks for the warning but I teared-up anyway. :whiner: I hope Miguel will be happy in Seattle. I will miss him. Oh, the price of success!!

lowesox
06-29-2004, 05:12 PM
...thats a guy who loved putting on black and silver every day
Yep. A young guy with a boatload of talent, capable of becoming a sentimental fan favourite, who would probably stay loyal to the franchise into the distant future.

Let's package him with our best prospect for 15 Freddy Garcia starts.

Nails
06-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Hope we didn't mess with chemistry too much in this deal. That said, I couldn't be happier with the fact that this team actually HAS positive chemistry this season under Ozzie.

ode to veeck
06-29-2004, 08:39 PM
I was going to comment on exactly the same thing Dr Crawdad, i.e., how different the Sox are these days.

We had prospects and vets who couldn't wait to get outta here the last three years, and now we have MiggyMo breakin down emotionally over leaving. Its sad to see Mo go of course, but it says the Sox chemistry is a world away from team cohesion lowlights we had the last three years.

Yeah, Royce. the Tinkerer, and others are gone, but you have give some credit to KW for the assemblage (in spite of some poor trades & acquisitions) and also to Ozzie for driving the clubhouse spirit ... GO SOX!

flo-B-flo
06-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Hope we didn't mess with chemistry too much in this deal. That said, I couldn't be happier with the fact that this team actually HAS positive chemistry this season under Ozzie.
Thats the kicker for me, Ozzie has got the team playing hard and together. It's just a whole different feeling this year. Now let's take out Minny and keep it going! GO-GO Sox!!!

Nard
06-29-2004, 10:01 PM
I was out of town and had to do a lotta double-takes at the LA Times title: "Olivo give farewell gift to team" or whatever it was. Jeez, couldn't they take anyone but our Olive Boy? Terrible, terrible news.

And what the hell is gonna happen when we're playing Seattle and there's a collision scenario? I never thought I'd see Jose slamming into Olive Boy.

soltrain21
06-29-2004, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=Nard]

And what the hell is gonna happen when we're playing Seattle and there's a collision scenario? [QUOTE]

We better hit him to knock the flipping ball away. What the crap people, its baseball!

Jjav829
06-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Yep. A young guy with a boatload of talent, capable of becoming a sentimental fan favourite, who would probably stay loyal to the franchise into the distant future.

Let's package him with our best prospect for 15 Freddy Garcia starts.

Yeah, good point. I've always said keeping fan favorites and players loyal to a team is more important than trying to win. In honor, I think we should bring back Josh Paul, Chris Singleton, Chris Snopek, Greg Norton, and Herbert Perry and start them all. I mean you want to talk about some loyal players the Sox let slip away, you start the conversation with Greg Norton.