PDA

View Full Version : Will Garcia stay next year?

twinsuck1
06-28-2004, 09:47 PM
I was just on WhiteSox.com and I listened to Freddy Garcias interview after the trade, and at the very end of the interview a reporter asked him if he had a chance to resign next year with the Mariners would he consider it and he then answered if he has a chance to comeback he will????? :angry:

whtsx1959
06-28-2004, 10:01 PM
i heard on the score that freddy is engaged to ozzie's daughter or something, he'll stay

danjames
06-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Perhaps this is just being overly optimistic, but I took Garcia saying that in his exit press conference more as a courtesy to his former team/fans/reporters. It seemed like freddy did have a good rapport with his teammates/the fans there, so I guess he didnt' want to be a jerk, and faced with a question like "Could you return?" He may have just been playing nice.

twinsuck1
06-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Perhaps this is just being overly optimistic, but I took Garcia saying that in his exit press conference more as a courtesy to his former team/fans/reporters. It seemed like freddy did have a good rapport with his teammates/the fans there, so I guess he didnt' want to be a jerk, and faced with a question like "Could you return?" He may have just been playing nice.
I hope so, that would really suck If he were just a rent a pitcher.

SEALgep
06-28-2004, 11:50 PM
I hope so, that would really suck If he were just a rent a pitcher.I think he was just being polite. Seattle wouldn't have dished him in the first place if they thought they could resign him.

StockdaleForVeep
06-28-2004, 11:54 PM
i heard on the score that freddy is engaged to ozzie's daughter or something, he'll stay

Oh great, a fiance of the coaches daughter for us.

:ozzie
"Ju mess wit my baby girl, i bench you"

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-28-2004, 11:54 PM
some crappy new york/new jersey site said that garcia rejected a contract extension from the white sox before the trade, but i'd never believe the site that it was on. I hope he does sign with us. He's a guy that could be a big part of the white sox future the next few years, unlike alomar and everett last year.

delben91
06-29-2004, 07:00 AM
I think he was just being polite.

I just hope he doesn't end up being Politte.

owensmouth
06-29-2004, 07:21 AM
some crappy new york/new jersey site said that garcia rejected a contract extension from the white sox before the trade, but i'd never believe the site that it was on. I hope he does sign with us. He's a guy that could be a big part of the white sox future the next few years, unlike alomar and everett last year.
That's bogus. The White Sox had no contact with Garcia. If they did it would be tampering. From what I have read, the Sox did ask for a 72 hour grace period to try and sign Garcia before the trade took place and the Mariners turned them down.

mendozaln
06-29-2004, 08:03 AM
I think he was just being polite. Seattle wouldn't have dished him in the first place if they thought they could resign him.
You may be right, but there's the example of Ponson last season. And the M's resisted the Sox when they asked to negotiate a long-term deal with him, which may tell us that they don't want him to sign long-term elsewhere (although there are other interpretations).

In the end, these things usually come down to dollars anyway. And Garcia will command a lot of those. He's earning almost $7 mil this season. He's been far more consistent than Ponson had been, who got about $7.5 per season. He won't get Vazquez money (4/$45 mil, I think), but I think $10 mil per year is a reasonable guess, give or take $1 mil.

You figure he and Pavano will be the big names in the FA market next year, followed by Odalis Perez. (Any big name young arms I'm forgetting?) That's a pretty good position to be in (being the best or 2nd best young starter in the market), so I can't imagine the Sox will get much of a bargain. I'm guessing the Sox will dig deep and sign him, just from the media reports, but without any Ozzie-discount.

jabrch
06-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Matt Clement will be a FA. He might be the biggest SP out there, surely if we resign Garcia in the near future.

You may be right, but there's the example of Ponson last season. And the M's resisted the Sox when they asked to negotiate a long-term deal with him, which may tell us that they don't want him to sign long-term elsewhere (although there are other interpretations).

In the end, these things usually come down to dollars anyway. And Garcia will command a lot of those. He's earning almost $7 mil this season. He's been far more consistent than Ponson had been, who got about $7.5 per season. He won't get Vazquez money (4/$45 mil, I think), but I think $10 mil per year is a reasonable guess, give or take $1 mil.

You figure he and Pavano will be the big names in the FA market next year, followed by Odalis Perez. (Any big name young arms I'm forgetting?) That's a pretty good position to be in (being the best or 2nd best young starter in the market), so I can't imagine the Sox will get much of a bargain. I'm guessing the Sox will dig deep and sign him, just from the media reports, but without any Ozzie-discount.

SEALgep
06-29-2004, 08:27 AM

You figure he and Pavano will be the big names in the FA market next year, followed by Odalis Perez. (Any big name young arms I'm forgetting?) That's a pretty good position to be in (being the best or 2nd best young starter in the market), so I can't imagine the Sox will get much of a bargain. I'm guessing the Sox will dig deep and sign him, just from the media reports, but without any Ozzie-discount.Ya Pavano is a stud too. Would people not miss Maggs if we were able to extend Garcia and sign Pavano in the offseason. To lazy for deep pink, but how great would that be. I'll start Borchard in right with those guys.

soxtalker
06-29-2004, 08:28 AM
From what I read in various places, Garcia was just as emotional about leaving the M's as Olivo was about leaving the Sox. And Garcia spent several more years with the M's than Olivo has with the Sox. So, I wouldn't discount the possibility of him resigning with the Mariners. Of course, once he gets acclimated to Chicago and his new team mates, that can always change.

The one strange aspect of this is that the M's wouldn't let the Sox speak with him about an extension. Maybe it only added a level of risk to the deal that they didn't want or have to incur. But it also raises the possibility that they may consider making a strong effort to sign him in the off season. Unfortunately, we don't have that option with the players we traded to them.

mendozaln
06-29-2004, 08:31 AM
Matt Clement will be a FA. He might be the biggest SP out there, surely if we resign Garcia in the near future.
Thanks, I forgot about him. He will be a little bit older (30 after this season), and you have to think the ex-Cub factor will knock him down a few pegs in everyone's mind. :smile: But he's very solid. Tough call.

poorme
06-29-2004, 09:14 AM
best guess is to look at JR's history of signing FA pitchers. Last time he did it was Navarro. You think he's eager to try it again?

daveeym
06-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Anyone leaving a team from a good situation is gonna say "Yeah, I'd love to be back next year." Problem is with Seattle rebuilding they won't pay. Also, emotions and hurt feelings fade fast and any real athlete is all about winning. The best way to keep Garcia is for him to get comfortable here, the Sox make the playoffs and then show they're serious about doing it again next year.

Dadawg_77
06-29-2004, 11:06 AM
First off Freddy will say he would love to go to any team since that could help bid up his price. If he said he doesn't want to go to club C, then club C won't demand him thus his price goes down.

Seattle had talks with several teams for Freddy at the same time. If they grant the Sox the 72 hour window, I don't believe Seattle could have traded him elsewhere. Thus they cut themselves out of the market for three days, and once other teams heard about the Sox 72 window they would either drop out or lower what they were willing to pay if the Sox couldn't get a deal with Freddy. So there is no purpose for Seattle to grant the Sox request.

SOXSINCE'70
06-29-2004, 11:08 AM
I hope so.Ozzie sounds optimistic about resigning him.Let's hope he performs the way he's capable and The Sox go far into the playoffs.

mendozaln
06-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Seattle had talks with several teams for Freddy at the same time. If they grant the Sox the 72 hour window, I don't believe Seattle could have traded him elsewhere. Thus they cut themselves out of the market for three days, and once other teams heard about the Sox 72 window they would either drop out or lower what they were willing to pay if the Sox couldn't get a deal with Freddy. So there is no purpose for Seattle to grant the Sox request.
Not necessarily. The Sox likely would have been willing to give up more had they been able to negotiate a long-term deal. So after the Sox agreed to Olivo+Reed+Morse, the M's could have made this offer: We're willing to go ahead on that deal right now. Or, we'll give you a window of time to bargain with FG, and if you agree to a contract we get player x in addition, or x instead of y. If you don't, we go ahead on Olivo-Reed-Morse for Garcia-Davis. Whatever the Sox answer, the trade is done -- the Sox get Garcia no matter what, and the only question is who the M's get.

Maybe this is a bit fanciful, but I think some similar conditional trade would be possible.

Tekijawa
06-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Pedro will be the Biggest FA pitcher next year... I also believe that Millwood will be available, but he's more "name" than substance.

mendozaln
06-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Pedro will be the Biggest FA pitcher next year... I also believe that Millwood will be available, but he's more "name" than substance.
Pedro's older and more injury-prone. I was thinking especially of young pitchers (26-30, say).

Lip Man 1
06-29-2004, 12:22 PM
It was reported in one of the Chicago newspapers yesterday that originally Williams wanted a 72 hour window to get an extension done with Garcia before agreeing to the trade. Seattle balked and basically told him it's 'now or never,' so Williams dropped that request, OK'y'd the deal and the rest is history.

He was willing to take the risk of potentially losing him after the season in exchange for having him on the roster for the three months.

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Pedro Martinez is alo potentially a free agent after the season.

Lip

Dadawg_77
06-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Not necessarily. The Sox likely would have been willing to give up more had they been able to negotiate a long-term deal. So after the Sox agreed to Olivo+Reed+Morse, the M's could have made this offer: We're willing to go ahead on that deal right now. Or, we'll give you a window of time to bargain with FG, and if you agree to a contract we get player x in addition, or x instead of y. If you don't, we go ahead on Olivo-Reed-Morse for Garcia-Davis. Whatever the Sox answer, the trade is done -- the Sox get Garcia no matter what, and the only question is who the M's get.

Maybe this is a bit fanciful, but I think some similar conditional trade would be possible.
If the Sox were willy to give up more, Kenny should had been wack.

basilesox
06-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Ya Pavano is a stud too. Would people not miss Maggs if we were able to extend Garcia and sign Pavano in the offseason. To lazy for deep pink, but how great would that be. I'll start Borchard in right with those guys.
What about Rowand in right.......Surely he has shown us he can hit...Finally!!

mendozaln
06-29-2004, 03:22 PM
If the Sox were willy to give up more, Kenny should had been wack.
I'm not going to argue that, I think we gave up plenty in this trade. :unsure: I'm just basing this off Rogers' article. He says that "Williams decided to do the deal with no assurances when Seattle expressed a willingness to take Triple-A outfielder Jeremy Reed, a career .333 hitter, instead of third baseman Joe Crede." So there was apparently some deal before that hinged on this negotiation window. When Bavasi changed the deal to include Reed, KW felt like that compensated for losing the negotiation window. In that case, Seattle could have proposed some sort of conditional trade, wherein the Sox get the window and Seattle gets Reed+Olivo+Morse if the Sox don't sign Garcia, and their first-choice package of players (whatever that was) if they do. If the first-choice package wasn't too different, all that would happen is that the trade would be consummated with a couple of PsTBNL.

So if this was an option, but the M's wouldn't consider it, I'd take that to mean that the M's may put some value on the possibility of resigning Garcia. But I may be interpreting Rogers' article the wrong way.

idseer
06-29-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm not going to argue that, I think we gave up plenty in this trade. :unsure: I'm just basing this off Rogers' article. He says that "Williams decided to do the deal with no assurances when Seattle expressed a willingness to take Triple-A outfielder Jeremy Reed, a career .333 hitter, instead of third baseman Joe Crede." So there was apparently some deal before that hinged on this negotiation window. When Bavasi changed the deal to include Reed, KW felt like that compensated for losing the negotiation window. In that case, Seattle could have proposed some sort of conditional trade, wherein the Sox get the window and Seattle gets Reed+Olivo+Morse if the Sox don't sign Garcia, and their first-choice package of players (whatever that was) if they do. If the first-choice package wasn't too different, all that would happen is that the trade would be consummated with a couple of PsTBNL.

So if this was an option, but the M's wouldn't consider it, I'd take that to mean that the M's may put some value on the possibility of resigning Garcia. But I may be interpreting Rogers' article the wrong way.
would you have made this trade at all if you got that 3 days and he refused to sign? if so you're pretty sure you got garcia for 3 months and then he's gone. is that worth what we gave up?

mendozaln
06-29-2004, 05:41 PM
would you have made this trade at all if you got that 3 days and he refused to sign? if so you're pretty sure you got garcia for 3 months and then he's gone. is that worth what we gave up?Not to me, although I know lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and ... of people disagree. (This question has been debated to death. Then it was cut up into pieces and each piece was debated to death, and so on. I don't want to debate that here.)

All I meant is that the Sox and the M's could commit to a conditional trade. The Sox wouldn't have the option of pulling out after 3 days. Here's an example -- suppose (just hypothetical, I don't claim these players are the right ones!) the Sox were willing to send Olivo+Crede+Morse if they know they'll have Garcia signed to a 2-year extension, but they are not willing to give up a regular (Crede) otherwise. (But they are willing to trade Reed.) The following trade would be announced: Garcia+Davis for Olivo+Morse+PTBNL. Those players immediately switch teams. After 3 days, if the Sox have signed Garcia to an extension, they send Crede. Otherwise, they send Reed. Either way, they don't have the ability to pull out of the trade.

I just wanted to point out that something like this COULD have been done, I never advocated it. (Crede's my favorite player, anyway.) I disagree with you a little bit when you say that you'd be "pretty sure" that you wouldn't resign Garcia. I'm sure a lot of players would just want more than 3 days to decide on something that important.

gobears1987
06-29-2004, 09:20 PM
He said on the Score that he wants to sign with the Sox for a longterm deal IMMEDIATELY!!! He said he wants to stay here and wants security with a deal now and values it more than waiting and getting more with the Yankees. He also said he wants to play for Ozzie.:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

SEALgep
06-29-2004, 09:45 PM
He said on the Score that he wants to sign with the Sox for a longterm deal IMMEDIATELY!!! He said he wants to stay here and wants security with a deal now and values it more than waiting and getting more with the Yankees. He also said he wants to play for Ozzie.:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:He still wants a fair deal, but that is certainly good news.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Flight #24
06-29-2004, 09:52 PM
He said on the Score that he wants to sign with the Sox for a longterm deal IMMEDIATELY!!! He said he wants to stay here and wants security with a deal now and values it more than waiting and getting more with the Yankees. He also said he wants to play for Ozzie.
Excellent...
http://www.synergizedsolutions.com/simpsons/pictures/others/mrburns.gif

Daver
06-29-2004, 09:53 PM
He still wants a fair deal, but that is certainly good news
Every player wants a fair deal.

The reality of the last CBA is starting to sink in, the owners won, and the players, as well as their agents, know it.

SEALgep
06-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Every player wants a fair deal.

The reality of the last CBA is starting to sink in, the owners won, and the players, as well as their agents, know it.Of course they do, but even though he's buddies with Ozzie, he'll still command some respectable dollars.

gobears1987
06-29-2004, 11:02 PM
The numbers I've heard aren't overly expensive. We will be able to afford him. The good news is that this is not a rent-a-player deal where the Yankees will get him.:bandance:

delben91
06-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Just a little something from today's Daily Herald...

"Right now, I'm ready to pitch, to do what I can to win every five days,'' Garcia said "I'm really happy. I want to help the team, and I know they can hit, so I'm really excited.''

That's probably about as excited as the laid-back Venezuelan will get during his stay with the White Sox.

By the way, Freddy, any thoughts on signing a contract extension anytime soon?

"I don't know yet,'' said Garcia, who is eligible for free agency at the end of the season. "Whatever happens right now ... they're talking. We'll see.''

So it appears as if they're working on something already. Don't know if that means anything.

Here's the whole article (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox.asp?intID=3816886) for those interested.

Flight #24
06-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Another little Freddy tidbit from the CubTimes today:

Garcia needed surgery this offseason for two blown out eardrums, but didn't want to blame an equilibrium problem for his 12-14 record and 4.51 ERA in 2003. It was the first time he had finished a season with a losing record and was the highest ERA in his career.

''I don't have any excuse on what happened last year,'' he said. "I had that problem but I never thought about it. I was struggling because of my ears; the doctors say it was maybe my balance. ''[But] I'm not the kind of guy who gives excuses. If I get hit, I get hit, that's the game. You go there and try to do the best you can and if you get hit, you have to wait for five more days.''

I like resigning a guy who's got a non-baseball injury problem behind him. We can hopefully expect numbers much more like his frst few years than his last 2. And his value's a bit depressed because of those year (although I'm sure his agent will note the healed injury as a factor in his performance).