PDA

View Full Version : Sox on the Arizona Rookie League Top 20 prospects

Randar68
09-24-2001, 03:49 PM
From BA's top 20 prospects in the Arizona Rookie League...(Nice to see a few positional prospects getting some acclaim...)

3 ANDY GONZALEZ, ss
White Sox
Six-foot-4 shortstops are still a rare breed, but every Arizona League manager believes Gonzalez will remain at the position because of his lean and athletic frame.

"He's got the arm and range, and the ball jumps off his bat," Brewers manager Carlos Lezcano said. "He needs to mature a little bit because he doesn't play at 100 percent all the time"

Gonzalez has a chance to be an offensive force, as he hit five homers and drives balls well to the gaps. He's by no means a complete player, however.

"He needs work on his throwing motion," Cubs manager Carmelo Martinez said, "but he runs well and has good hands."

7 ANTHONY WEBSTER, of
White Sox
A 15th-round pick in June, Webster made a strong impression on every manager. He showed every tool except arm strength, and his exceptional speed compensates for that shortcoming. He covers a lot of ground on defense and charges balls well.

His speed also enables him to be a flashy leadoff hitter. The White Sox are working hard at getting Webster to bunt the ball more to take advantage of his wheels.

"He's very raw," Munoz said, "but he's got tools. I was impressed with the way he hits lefthanded pitching so well, which is unusual for a first-year guy."

13 AARON KIRKLAND, rhp
White Sox
Undrafted after going 5-5, 5.70 as a senior at Troy State, Kirkland led the league in ERA, saves and opponent's batting average (.158). His most eye-popping stat, however, was his zero unintentional walks in 62 innings.

He was one of the league's older players at 22, but his numbers made an impression. Kirkland throws a darting slider and a 90-91 mph fastball.

"He's a strike-throwing machine," Hairston said. "He doesn't throw that hard now, but he has a good frame and should throw harder as he adds weight. I can see him maybe throwing 92-93 one day. He's a sleeper, a great find."

Jerry_Manuel
09-24-2001, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
3 ANDY GONZALEZ, ss
7 ANTHONY WEBSTER, of

Thanks for the info Randar.
I would like to see a catcher on that list.

:reinsy
Dream on, I'm not going to pay a catching prospect.

Iguana775
09-24-2001, 04:09 PM
randar, what would we do without all your minor league info?? :) thanks!!!!!! you have any idea how far gonzales is from the majors???

Randar68
09-24-2001, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
you have any idea how far gonzales is from the majors???

3 years minimum. He is still very raw. I did like to see that he drew walks at an increasing rate as their season progressed. Through his first 3-4 weeks, he only had a handful of walks. He is a special talent, but discipline is most definitely what he is most lacking. The reference to his throwing mechanics has a lot more to do with accuracy than strength. He was also a pitching prospect capable of throwing 92-94 mph, but he prefers to hit and play SS and frankly, he seems talented enough to do whatever he wants. We shall see if he can put it all together in his head. I imagine he'll open at low A and maybe move to the Appy League when they open their season if he struggles in Kannapolis offensively.

Randar68
09-24-2001, 04:30 PM
Dream on, I'm not going to pay a catching prospect

God, to be able to sit down with JR and get inside his head...you draft 1st and 2nd round catching talent 2 straight years at bargain places in the draft and refuse to sign them, at a position likely to be the weakest in your entire system, top to bottom....I can't believe they are putting this much faith/stock/prayers into Olivo...no pressure, huh?

LongDistanceFan
09-24-2001, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

God, to be able to sit down with JR and get inside his head...you draft 1st and 2nd round catching talent 2 straight years at bargain places in the draft and refuse to sign them, at a position likely to be the weakest in your entire system, top to bottom....I can't believe they are putting this much faith/stock/prayers into Olivo...no pressure, huh? very good job randar

LongDistanceFan
09-24-2001, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
very good job randar

Hey randar, isn't this the league that had our high drafted players from last yr draft? I wonder how our top 3 picks did?

Randar68
09-24-2001, 05:47 PM
Do you mean the 2001 draft or the 2000 draft????

2001 draft:
Gonzalez(5th round) and Webster(15th round) were in Arizona after signing right away. Kris Honel(1st round) was there for a couple (4 I think) starts before moving up and pitching well in advanced rookie Appalacian League at Bristol. Supplemental pick Wyatt Allen out of Tenessee pitched in the Appalacian League, as did 2nd rounder Ryan Wing from Riverside CC, but he only made 1IP in 1 appearance before returning to the Arizona training facility to work on his mechanics...3rd and 4th rounders didn't sign, and most of the lower picks played in Arizona without much fanfare...

2000 draftees Borchard(1st) and Hummel(2nd) both played at Birmingham this year.

LongDistanceFan
09-24-2001, 11:18 PM
Thanks i meant the 2001 draft, and in particlur our 3- pitchers we pick......... thanks

Bmr31
09-25-2001, 02:46 AM
Randar, i get more out of your minor league posts, than any posts on this board. I really appreciate what you do. Thanks.

Randar68
09-25-2001, 10:11 AM
Randar, i get more out of your minor league posts, than any posts on this board. I really appreciate what you do. Thanks.

Guys, it's no problem. It keeps me going though when people say they read them or get useful info out of them. I just try to pass on info as I recieve or read it...