PDA

View Full Version : solution to the catching dilema

idseer
06-28-2004, 07:10 PM
so you'll laugh .... but here goes anyway, just for fun.

there was a time the white sox converted a 3rd baseman into a fairly good catcher. the older of you will remember jc martin.
what about converting jose valentin to catcher? he's got the arm. he's got an experienced catcher to help him. it gets him out of the ss position. it allows uribe to play his natural position. it let's willie be fulltime 2nd base. and it doesn't cost a DIME extra.

after you get up off the floor your first objection is probably that he's too old to learn new tricks. maybe .... maybe not. would he be motivated? perhaps, if he thought it could make him more valuable.

...... ok, hard to imagine, i know. but think about it before you give me too many of these. ..... :rolling:

habibharu
06-28-2004, 07:11 PM
i thought about it.... :rolling: :rolling:

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Well, I know that his brother has bounced around the league as a catcher so maybe it's in Jose's blood. But no, I wouldn't want to try it during the season while the white sox are in a race with the twins.

Blob
06-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Well, I thought about it................................................ ....................

:rolling:

Damn, someone beat me to it!

MUsoxfan
06-28-2004, 07:23 PM
what about converting jose valentin to catcher? he's got the arm. he's got an experienced catcher to help him. it gets him out of the ss position. it allows uribe to play his natural position. it let's willie be fulltime 2nd base. and it doesn't cost a DIME extra.

WOW!I think I'm just gonna pretend I didn't read that. He can barely handle the position he has now.

SEALgep
06-28-2004, 07:26 PM
WOW!I think I'm just gonna pretend I didn't read that. He can barely handle the position he has now.He's been playing short real well for a while now.

idseer
06-28-2004, 07:26 PM
WOW!I think I'm just gonna pretend I didn't read that. He can barely handle the position he has now.
hey it's just a fantasy, but that's partly the point. he can't get as many errors catching as he gets elsewhere.

Randar68
06-28-2004, 07:28 PM
hey it's just a fantasy, but that's partly the point. he can't get as many errors catching as he gets elsewhere.
Yeah, because the catcher hardly ever touches the ball.

oeo
06-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Yeah, or we can put Paulie back behind the plate.

Philo-Sox-er
06-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Solidify the rotation and then throw it away with an inexperienced catcher allowing passed ball after passed ball to get by him...nope. Better to keep Davis/Burke behind the dish.

hose
06-28-2004, 07:34 PM
How many other fan sites will post thread this to mock us?

idseer
06-28-2004, 07:36 PM
How many other fan sites will post thread this to mock us?
unbelievable!

RKMeibalane
06-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Jerry Manuel, is that you?

Hondo
06-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Idseer, I respect you man and glean you're a pretty decent guy from your posts but my man can't catch.

:manos
"Idseer, he's right. Don't be fooled by this beautiful black 'stache. I got hands of stone."

Daver
06-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Call up Carlos Lee to catch.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Do you know how long it takes to learn the fundamentals and the little things about catching. Let alone the ability to get to know your pitchers, the hitters around the league and the tendency of your manager in pitch selection?

J.C. was in his early twenties when he did this. (I interviewed him and it came up. Look for his interview in the WSI INTERVIEWS link on the main page.) Jose is in his mid thirties.

It's simply not possible right now.

Lip

hose
06-28-2004, 09:59 PM
unbelievable!
hehe, looks like I hosed up my post.

Still this has to be one of the dumbest baseball related ideas I've seen posted at WSI.

Just plain dumb.

idseer
06-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Do you know how long it takes to learn the fundamentals and the little things about catching. Let alone the ability to get to know your pitchers, the hitters around the league and the tendency of your manager in pitch selection?

J.C. was in his early twenties when he did this. (I interviewed him and it came up. Look for his interview in the WSI INTERVIEWS link on the main page.) Jose is in his mid thirties.

It's simply not possible right now.

Lip
i know. it was just an interesting thought ........ to me anyway.
i did like the fact it cleared up 3 problems. :wink:

npdempse
06-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Yeah, or we can put Paulie back behind the plate.
Ya beat me to it!
Hey, Paulie's had some time back there, WHY NOT?!
He can borrow Sandy's patented knee-savers and add a couple of years to his career, retire at, oh, 32.

Mohoney
06-29-2004, 02:16 AM
:woo-woo

"Woo! Bad idea! Woo!"

Mohoney
06-29-2004, 02:20 AM
:moron
"This team is in the 3rd largest market in baseball! There is NO REASON that Carlos Delgado shouldn't be catching for this team right now! They're run like the Milwaukee Brewers! Burgleflickle!"

white sox bill
06-29-2004, 07:22 AM
Jose catching umm...the throwback to the pitcher would have me holding my breath!