PDA

View Full Version : Restructuring the bullpen

The_Floridian
06-28-2004, 02:10 PM
So now that we got Garcia, hows about moving Rauch into the bullpen and releasing Jackson?

Jackson, in my opinion is our only real liability in the pen. Even Politte seems to be coming on strong of late (3 straight solid appearances). Marte, Cotts and Adkins have all been good, and Shingo has been stellar. Vic Darensbourg I don't really know about, but since he's essectially doing mop up duty, it doesn't really matter as long as he isn't a total gas can.

But Jackson ahs been trouble, especially of late. I'm sure he's valuable in the pen as a veteran influence for Cotts and Adkins, but he's simply not performing. Adkins is our long reliever. As far as I'm concerned, you need a righty and a lefty in middle relief. Cotts is the lefty. Rauch should be the righty.

As for Diaz, I think the best idea would be for him to stay in the fifth starter role, then move down to AAA when Shoenweis comes back. In AAA he can be starting every five games, and I think Rauch would be the better of the two out of the pen. Of course, that's just speculation, but I just see Rauch as a steady reliever this year.

I think the move to the pen for Rauch, Jackson's release, and Diaz in the 5 role until Scho get back gives us one of the better pitching staffs in baseball.

Irishsox1
06-28-2004, 02:16 PM
There are many quality bullpen guys that are on bad teams that will be willing to make a trade with the Sox. However, these trades won't go down for another month.

joeynach
06-28-2004, 02:16 PM
So now that we got Garcia, hows about moving Rauch into the bullpen and releasing Jackson?

Jackson, in my opinion is our only real liability in the pen. Even Politte seems to be coming on strong of late (3 straight solid appearances). Marte, Cotts and Adkins have all been good, and Shingo has been stellar. Vic Darensbourg I don't really know about, but since he's essectially doing mop up duty, it doesn't really matter as long as he isn't a total gas can.

But Jackson ahs been trouble, especially of late. I'm sure he's valuable in the pen as a veteran influence for Cotts and Adkins, but he's simply not performing. Adkins is our long reliever. As far as I'm concerned, you need a righty and a lefty in middle relief. Cotts is the lefty. Rauch should be the righty.

As for Diaz, I think the best idea would be for him to stay in the fifth starter role, then move down to AAA when Shoenweis comes back. In AAA he can be starting every five games, and I think Rauch would be the better of the two out of the pen. Of course, that's just speculation, but I just see Rauch as a steady reliever this year.

I think the move to the pen for Rauch, Jackson's release, and Diaz in the 5 role until Scho get back gives us one of the better pitching staffs in baseball.
The norm is to have 5 starters and 7 relivers so thats 12 total right.

Buehrle
Loiaza
Garcia
Garland
Diaz or Rauch (Schoenweis when back)

Marte
Adkins
Politte
Takatsu
Cotts
Jackson
Darensbourg

So we either have to send diaz or rauch down now, move onw of them to pen and move someone in the pen back down, or go with 13 pitchers and take away a bench player (not recommended)???

delben91
06-28-2004, 02:23 PM
So we either have to send diaz or rauch down now, move onw of them to pen and move someone in the pen back down, or go with 13 pitchers and take away a bench player (not recommended)???

Get Darensbourg out of here. He was supposed to "fill in" while Adkins rested his tweaked muscle in his leg or what have you. Let Rauch and Diaz stay up with one taking a spot in the pen and the other holding down Schoeneweis' spot in the rotation. Once Scott comes back, the one of the two will have to head back to Charlotte...my vote would be Diaz as he could probably benefit more from a bit more regular workload and "seasoning"

fsphog
06-28-2004, 04:17 PM
darensbourg was designated for assignment after the game yesterday.