PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Daver, Randar and other scouts

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2004, 11:06 AM
I read in the Garcia trade thread that Anderson is showing similar OBP potential to Reed. That is good news and takes away some of the sting of losing Reed.

Does Anderson have plate discipline equal to Reed's? If not, do you expect it to progress to that level?

Put more simply, in your best estimation will Anderson make us forget about Reed?

Thanks in advance.

Randar68
06-28-2004, 04:10 PM
I read in the Garcia trade thread that Anderson is showing similar OBP potential to Reed. That is good news and takes away some of the sting of losing Reed.

Does Anderson have plate discipline equal to Reed's? If not, do you expect it to progress to that level?

Put more simply, in your best estimation will Anderson make us forget about Reed?

Thanks in advance.

No, No, No. Anderson is nothing like Reed. Anderson is a power hitter with some decent contact skills. He'll never have the kind of plate coverage and discipline that Reed does. Any high OBP that he shows will be due to a high BA or being pitched around.

Anderson is likely to move to AA in the very near term now that a space will be created with the loss of Reed in AAA. Anderson is a much more natural CF'er defensively though, no question.

Randar68
06-28-2004, 04:14 PM

Thanks in advance.
Think about this in another manner. Reed was not your typical White Sox prospect. He has a good eye, takes a lot of walks, doesn't strike out too much, and makes a lot of solid contact, with occassional power. Most Sox position prospects are like Joe Borchard or Josh Fields. Power hitters that succeed if they are able to learn the strike zone and make more consistent contact. Reed was something of a rarity, and that is why some are so disappointed at us giving him up. Was he going to be a super-star or perennial All-Star? Most likely not, but he would have been a valuable cog in the wheel of an offense that currently fails to manufacture runs or score consistently against above-average pitching.

rdivaldi
06-28-2004, 04:54 PM
But if you look at Anderson's numbers in Winston-Salem, you will notice that he has a very respectible 28:43 K:BB ratio in 248 at bats.

After watching both Reed and Anderson play many times, there's no doubt in mind that Anderson has a much higher ceiling. Whether or not he lives up to the potential is another story.

Randar68
06-28-2004, 06:09 PM
But if you look at Anderson's numbers in Winston-Salem, you will notice that he has a very respectible 28:43 K:BB ratio in 248 at bats.

After watching both Reed and Anderson play many times, there's no doubt in mind that Anderson has a much higher ceiling. Whether or not he lives up to the potential is another story.
44:29 K:BB ratio, you had it reversed.

That ios not terrible, but he's basically playing at a level just slightly above what he played at in College, and only Casey Rogowski has been hitting anything consistently in W-S, it's not like he's overly protected hitting in that line-up.

Do Anderson and Borchard have higher ceilings than Reed? I'd say yes on both counts, but I'd also say that Reed had a higher likelihood of success or of being a good regular MLB contributor. One was a sure thing with a low likelihood of that turning into a star, and the other 2 have star potential with a lower likelihood of reaching it.

Daver
06-28-2004, 06:13 PM

That ios not terrible, but he's basically playing at a level just slightly above what he played at in College, and only Casey Rogowski has been hitting anything consistently in W-S, it's not like he's overly protected hitting in that line-up.

Do Anderson and Borchard have higher ceilings than Reed? I'd say yes on both counts, but I'd also say that Reed had a higher likelihood of success or of being a good regular MLB contributor. One was a sure thing with a low likelihood of that turning into a star, and the other 2 have star potential with a lower likelihood of reaching it.

Exactly.

I would say Sweeney has a higher potential cieling as well.

Randar68
06-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Exactly.

I would say Sweeney has a higher potential cieling as well.
I agree, but he's not as advanced as the other 2 at this point, so it's a little harder to project his power and potential accurately. He also isn't quite the all-around athlete the other 2 are, IMO.

Daver
06-28-2004, 06:41 PM
I agree, but he's not as advanced as the other 2 at this point, so it's a little harder to project his power and potential accurately. He also isn't quite the all-around athlete the other 2 are, IMO.
He could prolly help the Sox bullpen now......

Randar68
06-28-2004, 06:48 PM
He could prolly help the Sox bullpen now......
LOL!

rdivaldi
06-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Oops, my bad.

rdivaldi
06-28-2004, 07:11 PM
It's hard to project Sweeney due to his age. Most people ask why some get excited over a guy hitting around .260 in A ball. But the kid is only 19 years old and is from a state where you only got to play ball for 5 months out of the year. He's got loads of potential at the plate, and I've seen/heard great things about his defense.

I might be crazy, but I'm also extremely high on Chris Young down in Kannapolis. He might have the highest ceiling of all these guys. But again, his age makes it hard to project his future potential.

Soxheads
06-28-2004, 11:38 PM
It's hard to project Sweeney due to his age. Most people ask why some get excited over a guy hitting around .260 in A ball. But the kid is only 19 years old and is from a state where you only got to play ball for 5 months out of the year. He's got loads of potential at the plate, and I've seen/heard great things about his defense.

I might be crazy, but I'm also extremely high on Chris Young down in Kannapolis. He might have the highest ceiling of all these guys. But again, his age makes it hard to project his future potential.

Only really 3 months of real game action, too. A lot of guys on my high school team have played against Sweeney. They don't seem surprised he's this hyped.

Daver
06-28-2004, 11:44 PM
A guy that flies under the radar that intrigues me is Thoams Brice, the Aussie, he is starting to develop some real power now that he has learned to hit pitches that aren't skipped to him, and he is a legit outfielder that can play all three positions.

rdivaldi
06-29-2004, 10:26 AM
A guy that flies under the radar that intrigues me is Thoams Brice, the Aussie, he is starting to develop some real power now that he has learned to hit pitches that aren't skipped to him, and he is a legit outfielder that can play all three positions.
True, but I'm a bit concerned by his play at WS so far. He's torn up Kannapolis for 2 years now, I hope he can continue to perform at a high level.

Randar68
06-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Brice in CF scares the crap out of me! :(:

rdivaldi
06-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Brice in CF scares the crap out of me! :(:
Hasn't Brice been primarily a LF or RF for the past 2 years?

Randar68
06-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Hasn't Brice been primarily a LF or RF for the past 2 years?
Mostly LF, IIRC

whitesoxglenn
07-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know what is up with Ricardo Nanita this year???...I have not heard much about Nanita, and I have been high on Nanita since the article about Nanita in Baseball America last year!!!

Daver
07-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Does anyone know what is up with Ricardo Nanita this year???...I have not heard much about Nanita, and I have been high on Nanita since the article about Nanita in Baseball America last year!!!
Last time I checked he was hitting .370 or so in the Sally league, his defense is still on the very raw side however.

rdivaldi
07-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Last time I checked he was hitting .370 or so in the Sally league, his defense is still on the very raw side however.
After an impressive 4- 4 showing last night he's up to .429. It's beginning to look like the jump from Kannapolis to Winston-Salem is pretty daunting for these kids.

Randar68
07-06-2004, 12:02 PM
After an impressive 4- 4 showing last night he's up to .429. It's beginning to look like the jump from Kannapolis to Winston-Salem is pretty daunting for these kids.
Well, Nanita played in a Florida JuCo and only played one year at Florida International, IIRC. He jumped from Great Falls to Winston-Salem along with Brian Anderson. That's quite a jump for such a raw young player, like Nanita is. Hopefully he works the loop out of his swing in Kanny and finishes his season with some success in W-S.

rdivaldi
07-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Well, Nanita played in a Florida JuCo and only played one year at Florida International, IIRC. He jumped from Great Falls to Winston-Salem along with Brian Anderson. That's quite a jump for such a raw young player, like Nanita is. Hopefully he works the loop out of his swing in Kanny and finishes his season with some success in W-S.
Considering his stellar play last year, I can understand the exuberance that the org had in promoting him to Winston-Salem, he's also not all that young (23). I hope they can get him back up to WS soon.

Rex Hudler
07-14-2004, 12:54 AM

First of all, hello..... I never knew there was a minor league thread at WSI, so I am a little late in chiming in here. But I do feel the need to address one thing.

High A ball is not "slightly above Division I baseball". I love college baseball and see much SEC Baseball every year. But in no way is the quality of baseball in the major college conferences even close to high A. Yes, the best players (maybe 1-2 per team) at that level could take a shot at High A. But the rest are not close.

Think of it this way.... Most college rosters have 2-4 kids per year get drafted max. The rest either never get drafted or they get drafted a year or two later. Kids that are freshman and sophomores would not likely be in high A if they had signed out of high school instead. Only a rare few. Many of the college juniors and seniors never even make it to high Class A. Most never get drafted at all. College baseball is good baseball and it is very exciting to watch, but your best teams would have difficulty competing in low Class A, if that. Most are probably more comparable to Advanced Rookie leagues.

Randar68
07-14-2004, 11:45 AM
First of all, hello..... I never knew there was a minor league thread at WSI, so I am a little late in chiming in here. But I do feel the need to address one thing.

High A ball is not "slightly above Division I baseball". I love college baseball and see much SEC Baseball every year. But in no way is the quality of baseball in the major college conferences even close to high A. Yes, the best players (maybe 1-2 per team) at that level could take a shot at High A. But the rest are not close.

Think of it this way.... Most college rosters have 2-4 kids per year get drafted max. The rest either never get drafted or they get drafted a year or two later. Kids that are freshman and sophomores would not likely be in high A if they had signed out of high school instead. Only a rare few. Many of the college juniors and seniors never even make it to high Class A. Most never get drafted at all. College baseball is good baseball and it is very exciting to watch, but your best teams would have difficulty competing in low Class A, if that. Most are probably more comparable to Advanced Rookie leagues.Here is my point. Even in high A-ball, you have many raw 20-22 year olds, akin to most starting players in major D1 programs. Are their ceilings as high? not most of the time. The best players from D1 can make the jump to High-A ball and it is only a slight adjustment for them. I think Pac-10, SEC, and Big 12 baseball is a better level of competition than low A ball, but I clearly said it's not to the level of High A, slightly below.

I stand by my assessment.

Fungo
07-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Here is my point. Even in high A-ball, you have many raw 20-22 year olds, akin to most starting players in major D1 programs. Are their ceilings as high? not most of the time. The best players from D1 can make the jump to High-A ball and it is only a slight adjustment for them. I think Pac-10, SEC, and Big 12 baseball is a better level of competition than low A ball, but I clearly said it's not to the level of High A, slightly below.

First off, I respect both Randar's and Rex's opinions. I happen to stumble across this as I was browsing the pages of Baseball America. This is from the Ask BA section, Jim Callis anwsers and deals with pitchers...

What do you think good college baseball (Big 12, SEC, ACC, Pac-10) is equivalent to for pitchers? Is it like a pitcher facing a Double-A team? Because when you use aluminum bats, it obviously enhances a hitter's ability.

I love and respect college baseball as much as just about anyone. I was BA's primary guy on the college beat from 1989-97 and I've vacationed at the College World Series every summer since. But I wouldn't come close to likening college baseball to Double-A.

The top college players, maybe a handful each year, could step in to pro ball and handle Double-A. On the highest level of college baseball, teams might have a couple of players who could hold their own in high Class A and a few who would be ready for low Class A, but the majority of them would be equivalent to short-season and upper-level Rookie ball players. Of course, even the best college teams are going to have several players who aren't even going to play pro ball. On a whole, I'd say the upper echelon of college baseball is equivalent to short-season ball, maybe low Class A if you're looking at it from the pitching side and want to give them extra credit for facing aluminum bats. But even the most powerful college lineups are not the equal of a high Class A lineup. They might be in the middle of the lineup, but not from one through nine.

Rex Hudler
07-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Here is my point. Even in high A-ball, you have many raw 20-22 year olds, akin to most starting players in major D1 programs. Are their ceilings as high? not most of the time. The best players from D1 can make the jump to High-A ball and it is only a slight adjustment for them. I think Pac-10, SEC, and Big 12 baseball is a better level of competition than low A ball, but I clearly said it's not to the level of High A, slightly below.

Randar, I know you know your stuff, but you are off here. Most starting players in major D-I programs never get to high A, so they can't be compared to some of the players that have made it there. Take National Champion CS-Fullerton for example...... how many of their players on this team were drafted this year? how many are likely to be drafted in the next two years? If they are lucky, out of 25-30 players, maybe a dozen will be drafted not just this year but over the next 3 years. Of those dozen, chances of more than 6-8 of those players even making it to High A are slim. That considers players this year and the development of players over the next two years, not what their talent level is right now.

I love college baseball, but I think Jim Callis backed me up here. The best college teams would have difficulty competing at Low A, because at least half their players would not even be good enough for that level at the time. The best players in college baseball can step in and compete, but overall, the talent is nowhere near deep enough to compete at those levels as a team.

Randar68
07-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Randar, I know you know your stuff, but you are off here. Most starting players in major D-I programs never get to high A, so they can't be compared to some of the players that have made it there. Take National Champion CS-Fullerton for example...... how many of their players on this team were drafted this year? how many are likely to be drafted in the next two years? If they are lucky, out of 25-30 players, maybe a dozen will be drafted not just this year but over the next 3 years. Of those dozen, chances of more than 6-8 of those players even making it to High A are slim. That considers players this year and the development of players over the next two years, not what their talent level is right now.

I love college baseball, but I think Jim Callis backed me up here. The best college teams would have difficulty competing at Low A, because at least half their players would not even be good enough for that level at the time. The best players in college baseball can step in and compete, but overall, the talent is nowhere near deep enough to compete at those levels as a team.
The best college players dominate at their level. Moving to Winston-Salem from Arizona or Oklahoma, IMO, is very similar a step as Kannapolis to W-S. There are other differences, like length of season, etc, but that's just my feeling on it. You expect a short adjustment period and then success.

The Tom
07-14-2004, 06:20 PM
What kind of stuff does Gio Gonzalez have. From what I gather, he relies on a killer curve. What kind of velocity does he project as he gets older? Also, I'm getting contradictory reports on McCarthy. Some say he's power pitcher and other's say he's a finesse guy. Which is he?

Randar68
07-14-2004, 06:39 PM
What kind of stuff does Gio Gonzalez have. From what I gather, he relies on a killer curve. What kind of velocity does he project as he gets older? Also, I'm getting contradictory reports on McCarthy. Some say he's power pitcher and other's say he's a finesse guy. Which is he?McCarthy has the body of a power pitcher but relies more on finesse. He has pinpoint control, and he still projects to add some velocity if he continues to fill out his rail-thin frame. He does need to pitch inside better, he has good stuff, but excellent control. He's only 20 and is now in High A ball after dominating in Kannapolis save for a start or 2.

Gio Gonzalez has a wicked curve, but he throws 3 pitches for strikes with a 88-91 mph fastball and a nice change-up. He's very polished for his age, although some concern exists about his frail frame and his mechanics.

California Sox
07-14-2004, 06:47 PM
By and large I tend to agree that the best players from college ball can jump quickly to high A. In White Sox history, Robin bypassed high-A, Frank dominated in his brief stay, Reed dominated in half a season as did Brian Anderson. Here's the question: Josh Fields is really struggling. I know it is waaaay to early to panic, but is he not as advanced as a hitter as most thought? Thanks.

Randar68
07-14-2004, 06:52 PM
By and large I tend to agree that the best players from college ball can jump quickly to high A. In White Sox history, Robin bypassed high-A, Frank dominated in his brief stay, Reed dominated in half a season as did Brian Anderson. Here's the question: Josh Fields is really struggling. I know it is waaaay to early to panic, but is he not as advanced as a hitter as most thought? Thanks.
I don't believe that's necessarily the case. I don't think he's as refined a hitter as any of those 3 or 4 you mentioned. He and Brian Anderson are probably most comparable coming out of NCAA. Anderson went to Great Falls and didn't get a taste of High A ball until this spring, and yes he did dominate. Fields has his share of things to work on, and losing half to 2/3rds of each of the past 3 years to football certainly didn't help one iota in his refinement or polish.

Adjusting to wood bats, the pitching, etc. This isn't necessarily an indication of anything, and the kid is a real hard worker, so I'd expect a big improvement when he get's a chance to step back and learn from this experience.

Daver
07-14-2004, 06:53 PM
McCarthy has the body of a power pitcher but relies more on finesse. He has pinpoint control, and he still projects to add some velocity if he continues to fill out his rail-thin frame. He does need to pitch inside better, he has good stuff, but excellent control. He's only 20 and is now in High A ball after dominating in Kannapolis save for a start or 2.

Gio Gonzalez has a wicked curve, but he throws 3 pitches for strikes with a 88-91 mph fastball and a nice change-up. He's very polished for his age, although some concern exists about his frail frame and his mechanics.
Hey Randar, is Gonzalez still dipping his shoulder on his curve and not on any of his other pitches?

Randar68
07-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Hey Randar, is Gonzalez still dipping his shoulder on his curve and not on any of his other pitches?
I haven't seen him recently. I will be in Bristol first week of August to see them, and I'll definitely try to see him play. I'll be in Kanny too just in case he is promoted! :redneck Hopefully, they get Lucy up to Kanny by then so I can see him, selfish reasons of course!

Rex Hudler
07-14-2004, 07:25 PM
The best college players dominate at their level. Moving to Winston-Salem from Arizona or Oklahoma, IMO, is very similar a step as Kannapolis to W-S. There are other differences, like length of season, etc, but that's just my feeling on it. You expect a short adjustment period and then success.
Right! The best college players can compete at that high of a level. But that is a player or two on each team and a handful in each league. Those few players do not make the level of competition in college equivalent to Low A. It only means that the best can compete at higher levels. The overall level of competition is still in the neighborhood of Advanced Rookie.

Chisoxfn
07-14-2004, 09:02 PM
What kind of stuff does Gio Gonzalez have. From what I gather, he relies on a killer curve. What kind of velocity does he project as he gets older? Also, I'm getting contradictory reports on McCarthy. Some say he's power pitcher and other's say he's a finesse guy. Which is he? I just had an interview with McCarthy and right now he's a finesse pitcher in a power pitchers body. The thing is, he gets power pitcher results.

The thing that stands out the most about McCarthy is he is seeing climbs in his velocity. He can already throw his fastball threw a tea-cup so as his velocity continues to develop he should be able to have pinpoint control of what I believe can become a 93-95 MPH fastball.

Right now his velocity is a bit up and is frequently as high as 93. He pitches somewhere in the 91-93 MPH range now, while last year it was the 88 MPH range.

The other thing McCarthy has added to his repetoire is a good changeup. He changed the grip on it this spring and its taken off well. He's getting more and more comfortable with it and feels it can turn into a plus pitch in time. I think its one of the reasons you've seen his hit totals drop this year.

Hope that helps :)

Chisoxfn
07-14-2004, 09:06 PM
By and large I tend to agree that the best players from college ball can jump quickly to high A. In White Sox history, Robin bypassed high-A, Frank dominated in his brief stay, Reed dominated in half a season as did Brian Anderson. Here's the question: Josh Fields is really struggling. I know it is waaaay to early to panic, but is he not as advanced as a hitter as most thought? Thanks. If you take out Fields first week or so, his numbers aren't quite as bad. He has a decent eye on the plate and a long swing. However, he's adjusting "power wise" to wood bats well. On Friday he hit a mammoth of a homerun to dead center in Winston Salem. I'm going to try and get a video clip of it up tonight, but its impressive to say the least. He was ahead of the count and got a hanging curveball.

The adjustment period is going to be tough. Just see what develops and then as he gets used to the harder level (trust me, High A Ball is a step up from what he saw most of the time in college). He could potentially be in Bham by the end of the year if he does get in a groove, otherwise he may sit in Winston Salem. I do think as he sees more pitches, you'll see him break out this year.

That doesn't mean he'll of solved his problems, but he's got the chance to be pretty good and could move through the system fast.

Fungo
07-15-2004, 10:35 AM
I love college baseball, but I think Jim Callis backed me up here. The best college teams would have difficulty competing at Low A, because at least half their players would not even be good enough for that level at the time. The best players in college baseball can step in and compete, but overall, the talent is nowhere near deep enough to compete at those levels as a team.Callis' point remember, was about pitcher's facing a line-up of hitters 1 thru 9. A stud hitter coming out of one of the quality conferences is facing pretty decent pitching most of the time and probably slightly below High A ball as Randar suggested. A pitcher from a top conference is, IMO, more polished than a kid in High A ball a year or 2 removed from High School.

Excellent debate.

The Tom
07-15-2004, 01:25 PM
I have a question. Are the White Sox ever going to turn out a good pitching prospect? Besides Mark "The Exception" Beuhrle and the fact that Garland may be about to break out, the Sox have a terrible track record with pitchers. Rauch, Cotts, Munoz, Biddle, Wright, and the Kipper all tanked. I know some of those guys still had a chance, but when are the White Sox gonna produce a front-line start out of their system?

Randar68
07-15-2004, 01:41 PM
I have a question. Are the White Sox ever going to turn out a good pitching prospect? Besides Mark "The Exception" Beuhrle and the fact that Garland may be about to break out, the Sox have a terrible track record with pitchers. Rauch, Cotts, Munoz, Biddle, Wright, and the Kipper all tanked. I know some of those guys still had a chance, but when are the White Sox gonna produce a front-line start out of their system?
Like Alex Fernandez, Jason Bere and Jack McDowell?

It's harder to do it when you never have draft picks in the top half of the first round.

Rex Hudler
07-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Callis' point remember, was about pitcher's facing a line-up of hitters 1 thru 9. A stud hitter coming out of one of the quality conferences is facing pretty decent pitching most of the time and probably slightly below High A ball as Randar suggested. A pitcher from a top conference is, IMO, more polished than a kid in High A ball a year or 2 removed from High School.

Excellent debate.
Ummm...... most college pitchers ARE kids a year or two removed from high school. Check out their rosters!

Fungo
07-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Ummm...... most college pitchers ARE kids a year or two removed from high school. Check out their rosters!I understand, but from a maturity standpoint, I think that gives the college kid more polish. IMO, I tend to think that, outside the first maybe 3 rounds of the draft, and obviously there are exceptions to the rule, that high schoolers are drafted more on how they 'project' rather than on knowing how to pitch.

Rex Hudler
07-16-2004, 01:41 AM
I understand, but from a maturity standpoint, I think that gives the college kid more polish. IMO, I tend to think that, outside the first maybe 3 rounds of the draft, and obviously there are exceptions to the rule, that high schoolers are drafted more on how they 'project' rather than on knowing how to pitch.
Keep in mind that the colleges get the pitchers that the draft doesn't gobble up. Granted, there are a lot of good pitchers that go to college instead of signing, but there is still a difference.

Watch good college baseball and then go watch High A baseball. You will see a big difference. The arms are stronger. The pitchers rely much less on breaking balls (granted aluminum bats make a difference). I really think most top college programs would have trouble competing at the Low A level. Otherwise, everybody in college would get drafted.

The Tom
07-16-2004, 02:13 AM
Brian Anderson went 2-4 again tonight for Birmingham. He's really swinging it well since struggling early on. How short is his stay in Birmingham gonna be (I'm assuming hell stay for the rest of the year like Reed). I think Anderson will be a better pro than Reed. He's a good contact hitter like Reed (not AS good though), but he has good power (what is his HR projection in the majors) and is an excellent fileder. I wonder if we'll see him manning center for the sox next year.

Randar68
07-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Brian Anderson went 2-4 again tonight for Birmingham. He's really swinging it well since struggling early on. How short is his stay in Birmingham gonna be (I'm assuming hell stay for the rest of the year like Reed). I think Anderson will be a better pro than Reed. He's a good contact hitter like Reed (not AS good though), but he has good power (what is his HR projection in the majors) and is an excellent fileder. I wonder if we'll see him manning center for the sox next year.
Anderson is a very talented kid. He's not going to steal a lot of bases, but he is fast. HR-projection? Heck, I think 30 is a realistic projection in the majors. I think his potential numbers project to be similar to what Carlos Lee does: around .300, 30 HR's and 90-100 RBI's. I think that's a relatively safe projection, although he may not hit for that power until 2007/2008. He hits a lot of hard doubles, and those often turn into HR's as guys mature and fill out as they reach their mid to upper 20's. Great arm in CF and he's accurate due to great footwork.

Frater Perdurabo
07-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Anderson is a very talented kid. He's not going to steal a lot of bases, but he is fast. HR-projection? Heck, I think 30 is a realistic projection in the majors. I think his potential numbers project to be similar to what Carlos Lee does: around .300, 30 HR's and 90-100 RBI's. I think that's a relatively safe projection, although he may not hit for that power until 2007/2008. He hits a lot of hard doubles, and those often turn into HR's as guys mature and fill out as they reach their mid to upper 20's. Great arm in CF and he's accurate due to great footwork.

Although I know that nothing is certain, it is good to know that the Sox might have a legitimate, home-grown CF with production comparable to Lee by 2007/08.

Frater Perdurabo
07-16-2004, 01:06 PM
What's the latest on Valido and Sweeney?

maurice
07-16-2004, 02:51 PM
What's the latest on Valido and Sweeney?
Valido struggled with the bat at Kanny but should be fine in the long run. Currently, he's at .248 AVE / .304 OBP / .332 SLG with 21 SB, 23 BB, 43 SO, and 15 errors.

Sweeney struggled early after being assigned to W-S out of spring training. That's a high level for a fellow who is just one year removed from HS. He's done better lately and is now at .266 / .321 / .364 with 22 BB and 48 SO for the season.

rdivaldi
07-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Reed dominated in half a season as did Brian Anderson.
However, please note that neither of these players played in W-S in their first year (short season) of pro ball. After being drafted Anderson played 13 games in Bristol and then sat out the rest of the season with an injury and Reed played the entire season in Kannapolis.

Fields is ahead of the game...

Randar68
07-16-2004, 03:40 PM
However, please note that neither of these players played in W-S in their first year (short season) of pro ball. After being drafted Anderson played 13 games in Bristol and then sat out the rest of the season with an injury and Reed played the entire season in Kannapolis.

Fields is ahead of the game...Actually, Anderson, Sweeney and Nanita all played last year in Great Falls of the Pioneer League, which is a more advanced league than the Appy League.

rdivaldi
07-16-2004, 04:35 PM
After being drafted Anderson played 13 games in Bristol and then sat out the rest of the season with an injury
Ah crap, my bad. I meant Great Falls.

The Tom
07-16-2004, 06:14 PM
I was under the impression that Bristol was tougher than Great Falls, that's why Gio Gonzalez went their instead of Great Falls. Am i wrong.

Chisoxfn
07-16-2004, 06:36 PM
Bristol is typically for the high schoolers, while Great Falls gets the more advanced players. This year everything is a bit different because the draft was later then ever.

They ended up pushing the rules back for Rookie League and older players are allowed to play. Thats why their are more minor league vets down in rookie then ever before.

Gio is being eased in slowly. He'll go to Great Falls soon and then Kanny by the end of the year.

The Tom
07-16-2004, 10:35 PM
I know his average is terrible and he's had a few SO's and NO extra-base hits. But it seems like he's having good at-bats and not just swinging and missing anymore. It appears as if he might be able to contribute this seasone. any thoughts?

Rex Hudler
07-17-2004, 01:49 AM
Bristol is typically for the high schoolers, while Great Falls gets the more advanced players. This year everything is a bit different because the draft was later then ever.

They ended up pushing the rules back for Rookie League and older players are allowed to play. Thats why their are more minor league vets down in rookie then ever before.

Gio is being eased in slowly. He'll go to Great Falls soon and then Kanny by the end of the year.
Bristol was the Sox Advanced Rookie team until last year when they left Arizona and signed an agreement with Great Falls. The Sox then chose Great Falls to be their higher level rookie team and sent the young guys to Bristol. That change is just two seasons old. I situations like the Sox with two rookie teams outside of Florida and Arizona, the team basically chooses which team to treat as the advanced level. There isn't that much difference in the Appy and Pioneer Leagues themselves.

I believe if Gio is ready to move, he will go straight to Kanny. That is not set in stone, but has been discussed. The Sox know he is too good for the level he is at now, but after missing some time in HS, and with his slight frame, the Sox are taking it slow with him. I would be surprised to see him go to Great Falls.

Wealz
07-17-2004, 03:33 PM
He has a great arm no doubt, but a high school pitcher with as devestating a breaking pitch as Gonzalez is a pretty huge risk. I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if he makes to 21 without an injury to his arm.

With the money they spent on Lumsden, Gonzalez, Whisler, Lucy, and Liotta, they could have had Ferris, Sazuki, and Syzmanski in addition to Fields. That would have been a terrific draft.

Randar68
07-18-2004, 12:58 AM
He has a great arm no doubt, but a high school pitcher with as devestating a breaking pitch as Gonzalez is a pretty huge risk. I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if he makes to 21 without an injury to his arm.

With the money they spent on Lumsden, Gonzalez, Whisler, Lucy, and Liotta, they could have had Ferris, Sazuki, and Syzmanski in addition to Fields. That would have been a terrific draft.
"you're a moron" doesn't begin to describe things.

The Tom
07-18-2004, 03:33 AM
Not a great night for the minor league system. Munoz got roughed up again yesterday. After a hot start, Anderson's average dipped below 300 tonight. Josh "Golden Sombraro" Fields SO 4 times. Gio Gonzalez got roughed up in the first tonight (Although he came back and threw 4 shutout innings and his era is still in the mid-2's). Nanita had a good night, and Sweeney continues to swing a hot back (above 270, pretty impressive for a guy his age if you ask me). Also, i think some people were a bit critical of Wes Whisler. He's gotten his average to about 230 while dropping his era into the 3's. Not bad for a guy pulling double duty AND going directly to A ball.

Wealz
07-18-2004, 11:02 AM
"you're a moron" doesn't begin to describe things.
Wes Whisler has Prior-like mechanics. It doesn't actually mean anything though.

Randar68
07-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Wes Whisler has Prior-like mechanics. It doesn't actually mean anything though.Let me know next tiime you see some of these guys play.

what's you problem? Have you ever seen any of these guys play, or do you just prefer to bitch up a storm? Describing his mechanics as prior-like only gives the reader a visualization of his pitchinng mechanics. His leg driive, physical size, arm angle and release are all VERY similar toto Mark Prior. That means just that, nothing more.

The Mental Midget Police need to write this tool a ticket.

:dtroll:

Wealz
07-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Let me know next tiime you see some of these guys play.

what's you problem? Have you ever seen any of these guys play, or do you just prefer to bitch up a storm? Describing his mechanics as prior-like only gives the reader a visualization of his pitchinng mechanics. His leg driive, physical size, arm angle and release are all VERY similar toto Mark Prior. That means just that, nothing more.

You don't take constructive criticism well.

Because you saw these guys play means nothing. What if you're as bad a talent evaluator as Shaffer?

Cerberus-WG
07-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Let me know next tiime you see some of these guys play.

I don't know where you get off on calling this guy a moron when you compare High-A ball to College ball and saying Wes Whisler has Mark Prior like mechanics. I saw Whisler as recently as a week ago and his delivery looks nothing like Prior's delivery whatsoever.

Maybe instead of trying to show off how inflated your ego can become, you should try and calm down for a bit.

voodoochile
07-18-2004, 02:54 PM
I don't know where you get off on calling this guy a moron when you compare High-A ball to College ball and saying Wes Whisler has Mark Prior like mechanics. I saw Whisler as recently as a week ago and his delivery looks nothing like Prior's delivery whatsoever.

Maybe instead of trying to show off how inflated your ego can become, you should try and calm down for a bit.
First post ever and this is what you put up? Hmmmm... wonder how long you last.

Wealz
07-18-2004, 03:22 PM
First post ever and this is what you put up? Hmmmm... wonder how long you last.
Are you saying that Randar68's credibillity should not be questioned? The guy said Whisler's mechanics look nothing like Prior's.

Daver
07-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Are you saying that Randar68's credibillity should not be questioned? The guy said Whisler's mechanics look nothing like Prior's.
No, Voodoo is pointing out that the poster was tossed from here once before for starting fights.

Randar68
07-18-2004, 05:35 PM
You don't take constructive criticism well.

Because you saw these guys play means nothing. What if you're as bad a talent evaluator as Shaffer?there has been absolutely zero constructive quality to any of your criticism. You've offerred no solutions, no analysis, no contradicting opinions.

bitching and moaning is nothing but bitching and moaning. Answer the damn question: "Farm System" or "winning MLB club on a limited payroll"

You can't have it both ways.

Back to your incessant whining.

Randar68
07-18-2004, 05:42 PM
I don't know where you get off on calling this guy a moron when you compare High-A ball to College ball I clarified that opinion and if only it was as black and white as you make it to be. i said it was a slight step up for the best players in major D1 programs. That is an opinion that has been supported by more than just my opinion.

and saying Wes Whisler has Mark Prior like mechanics. I saw Whisler as recently as a week ago and his delivery looks nothing like Prior's delivery whatsoever.You're right, he throws with his left hand. I'll be seeing him play in a couple of weeks, and I may change that opinion of him, but from what I had seen of him in college, his mechanics were not that dissimilar from Mark Prior's. it was a simple comparisson that Kotex-boy here has construed into "Wes Wisler = mark Prior", which I clearly never said.

Maybe instead of trying to show off how inflated your ego can become, you should try and calm down for a bit.LOL! Oh the irony. If someone is going to attack me for a comparison of mechanics in a very basic scouting report on a player 1 month into the system, then they had better come with something better than what that "moron" came with, which was nothing "constructive".

again, if you don't like it, you can return to where you came from.

Wealz
07-18-2004, 06:27 PM
there has been absolutely zero constructive quality to any of your criticism. You've offerred no solutions, no analysis, no contradicting opinions.

bitching and moaning is nothing but bitching and moaning. Answer the damn question: "Farm System" or "winning MLB club on a limited payroll"

You can't have it both ways.

Back to your incessant whining.
Are the A's a "winning MLB club on a limited payroll" with a "farm system"? What about the Twins? Maybe you don't follow other teams . . .

And another thing you're wrong about is I have offered a solution, get rid of Shaffer.

Wealz
07-18-2004, 06:32 PM
I clarified that opinion and if only it was as black and white as you make it to be. i said it was a slight step up for the best players in major D1 programs. That is an opinion that has been supported by more than just my opinion.

You're right, he throws with his left hand. I'll be seeing him play in a couple of weeks, and I may change that opinion of him, but from what I had seen of him in college, his mechanics were not that dissimilar from Mark Prior's. it was a simple comparisson that Kotex-boy here has construed into "Wes Wisler = mark Prior", which I clearly never said.

LOL! Oh the irony. If someone is going to attack me for a comparison of mechanics in a very basic scouting report on a player 1 month into the system, then they had better come with something better than what that "moron" came with, which was nothing "constructive".

again, if you don't like it, you can return to where you came from.
Why the anger Randar68? Kotex-boy? Seriously.

Only in your world it seems is Wes Whisler mentioned in the same sentence with Mark Prior. Their mechanics are now "not that dissimilar". It means nothing though.

Randar68
07-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Are the A's a "winning MLB club on a limited payroll" with a "farm system"? What about the Twins? Maybe you don't follow other teams . . .

And another thing you're wrong about is I have offered a solution, get rid of Shaffer.
And replace with? Billy Beane is taken.

Randar68
07-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Why the anger Randar68? Kotex-boy? Seriously.

Only in your world it seems is Wes Whisler mentioned in the same sentence with Mark Prior. Their mechanics are now "not that dissimilar". It means nothing though.
LOL, any more hollow whinings?

The Tom
07-19-2004, 07:27 PM
I was happy to see Jeff Bajenaru get the call to Charlotte finally? His stats for the Barons were amazing. I know he played in a pitcher's park and was also old for that level. Even so, how does he project in the big's? What kind of stuff does he have? Does he have a chance to make a contribution or even be a dominating closer? What about Wilson Valdez he's putting up great numbers for the Knights.

Rex Hudler
07-20-2004, 12:36 AM
I was happy to see Jeff Bajenaru get the call to Charlotte finally? His stats for the Barons were amazing. I know he played in a pitcher's park and was also old for that level. Even so, how does he project in the big's? What kind of stuff does he have? Does he have a chance to make a contribution or even be a dominating closer? What about Wilson Valdez he's putting up great numbers for the Knights.
Probably a setup guy in the bigs. He has a 89-92 mph fastball that he can get up to 94 on occasion. He throws a cutter/slider (call it a slutter if you want) and also a changeup. He has very good command. As good as his numbers have been in Birmingham, he has been nursing a groin injury the past month. They rested him some last week, allowing Matt Smith to pick up some saves. I think that helped, but he was clearly not himself the past few weeks, despite his success.

hose
07-20-2004, 07:25 AM
Probably a setup guy in the bigs. He has a 89-92 mph fastball that he can get up to 94 on occasion. He throws a cutter/slider (call it a slutter if you want) and also a changeup. He has very good command. As good as his numbers have been in Birmingham, he has been nursing a groin injury the past month. They rested him some last week, allowing Matt Smith to pick up some saves. I think that helped, but he was clearly not himself the past few weeks, despite his success.
Rex have you seen BJ LaMura pitch? Looks like he has a high k rate , what's your take on him?

Any glowing reports on Brian Anderson ?

The Tom
07-21-2004, 12:13 PM
What kind of players can Pollok and Wilson Valdez be. Both have good numbers, what are their futures like. I also read somewhere that Pollok is a sleeper as a future big league closer, is that true?

Randar68
07-21-2004, 12:33 PM
What kind of players can Pollok and Wilson Valdez be. Both have good numbers, what are their futures like. I also read somewhere that Pollok is a sleeper as a future big league closer, is that true?
Valdez is a SLAP-hitter extraordinaire. If he took more walks, he'd look better as a possible future top-of-the-order hitter. Right now, I think Valdez profiles as a utility middle-infielder and bench player int he big-leagues.

Pollok a sleeper as a closer? Maybe more like a coma.