PDA

View Full Version : Weekend observations and tidbits.........

joeynach
06-28-2004, 09:57 AM
So I was at the game on Saturday and i had an absolute ball. I took my dad for fathers day gift to the game in the bleachers. Which are just great seats by the way. The atmosphere was electric and made everything so exciting. Im 20 and my dads 52 and we had so many converstation with random sox fans, all the high fives, all the chants, everything. One of the best games i have ever been to. One thing i did notice is there are two types of cub fans. The man who sold me the tickets (ebay) introduced himself to me and was a great guy, even though he was a cub fan. He even said himself he could only get tickets to the games at the cell. He buys at a group rate of about 20 to 30 bleacher seats and then takes a group and sells the rest, and gets a discount. He had a very good baseball conversation with me. Then there was the "stereotypical" cub fans. A lot of them are women and people from Iowa. Actually me and the guy in front were ripping on cub fans saying they were "no nothing" fans from Iowa, right then a cub fan walked by with a shirt that said "Iowa City" and cubs hat on. A lot of girls are pretty dumb cub fans who only cheered when the sox struckout or something.

The one conversation i did have with sox fan was pretty funny. We both agreed all these cub fans there were basically clueless trolls who try and start that lame "lets go cubs" chant. Meanwhile they didn't know who francis beltran was when he came in. We said it goes like this, the cub fan become a cub fan by association. He/She moves to chicago and idiotly just assumes cub fandom has his or her own. They are the incumbent, they are the team when you think chicago baseball, at least to unknowledgable fans. Its like you move in and say i need to call "SBC" for a phone or ComED for electricity, there is no other guy in the game in those fields. This is the way many cub fans think about the cubs as chicago baseball, not even knowing the sox exist. But why do all these morons hate the sox, thats there enitre basis for a cub fan. They just assume they should. But i ask, David is supposed to hate Goaliath, not the other way around?

In regards to the rumors of Maggs to the braves for Ortiz and Jones. No way that will happen. Jones makes 39 mil over the next 3 seaons, thats 13 mil per avg. Why would the sox pay that much for Jones when they can probablyh have Maggs for that much. And Jones cant hit the past couple of years, batting like 242 this year. This deal will never make sense for the sox, unless the braves throw in huge cash condierations, but they are trying to dump salary, not give money away.

zach23
06-28-2004, 10:20 AM
The only game I was at was Friday's. I watched Saturday's game while at a graduation party with family members and watched Sunday's game while relaxing at home with the wife and dogs.
My annoying cub fan story from Saturday involves my wife's cousin. I have been around my wife's family for 20 years now and have never heard this particular cousin ever talk about baseball at all. She has other in-laws and cousins that are cub fans and have been since birth and we just kinda respect each other for being fans of each team. We joke a bit, but there really isn't any nasty trash talking. Most of the time I just have normal baseball discussions with them about the strengths and weaknesses of both teams. This other cousin however has simply jumped on the cubbie bandwagon since last year. What makes it worse is she also goes out of the way to tell me how vastly superior the cubs are and claims she has always been a huge cub fan (even though in 20 years I have never heard her once mention them). Saturday she shows up and sees me and says she thought I had tickets to the game. I told her I was there Friday. She then says to me that it must have been strange for us to be at a game with a big crowd. I explained to her that unlike herself I am not someone who jumps on and off bandwagons and that during the 30 years I have been going to 30+ games a year I have seen my share of big crowds and not just during the games involving her new favorite team.

Rocky Soprano
06-28-2004, 10:23 AM
I was there on Friday with some friends, anyone else here get tickets from Gene? I was wondering if there were any WSI members sitting close by. Section 507 row 7.

zach23
06-28-2004, 10:25 AM
I was there on Friday with some friends, anyone else here get tickets from Gene? I was wondering if there were any WSI members sitting close by. Section 507 row 7.

Nope, section 162, row 1. Had too many cub fans around us that bought tickets from people with season ticket packages.

eurotrash35
06-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Iowa City > you

obviously you "no nothing" about Iowa :tongue:

joeynach
06-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Iowa City > you

obviously you "no nothing" about Iowa :tongue:I was in section 163 row 16 with my dad. One other observation is that there actually was a good # of cubs fans out in the outfield, that was not the problem as they were still outnumbered. The point is all the cub fans seemed to be just groups of friends or groups and couples aged 18-35. A lot of frat boys drinking and getting rowdy and yelling go sammy. A lot of yuppie groups of couples with collared cub shirts with khaki pants and that sort. When i looked at sox fans i saw people. I saw families, kids, seniors, teens. I saw father and son, i saw children with their families, i saw a fan base, not a popular cult. We have always been talking about this, but this was the 1st time i actually saw it with my own eyes. And yeah i saw a bunch of iowa city shirts and cub hat combos.

34rancher
06-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Iowa City > you

You need to watch Field of Dreams again then.........

Blob
06-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Nope, section 162, row 1. Had too many cub fans around us that bought tickets from people with season ticket packages.
AND we also found out about Flub fans who bought season tix to the Sox just for this last series.

JDub35
06-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Iowa City > you

I agree with eurotrash35, you know nothing about Iowa.:rolleyes:

joeynach
06-28-2004, 02:10 PM
I agree with eurotrash35, you know nothing about Iowa.:rolleyes:
Iowa sucks!!

hawkjt
06-28-2004, 02:39 PM
I am a native of Iowa -been a hard core sox fan since I was 7 years old. Moved to NW side 14 years ago. Played organized baseball from 5 to 22. Many great baseball fans in iowa. Went to all three games this weekend with my cousin from Iowa and his twin 14 yr old boys. We had a blast except for friday of course. Go Sox and Go hawkeyes.

mike squires
06-28-2004, 05:14 PM
On Friday they did an interview with a mother (a sox fan) and her son (a Cub fan) The son pretty much said, I've only been a fan since they almost went to the series last year. The only thing I could do was shake my head..

bartmanisgod
06-28-2004, 05:24 PM
On Friday they did an interview with a mother (a sox fan) and her son (a Cub fan) The son pretty much said, I've only been a fan since they almost went to the series last year. The only thing I could do was shake my head..
I believe that was on Sunday's WGN pregame show but its all good...:bandance: :bandance:

joeynach
06-28-2004, 06:23 PM
I am a native of Iowa -been a hard core sox fan since I was 7 years old. Moved to NW side 14 years ago. Played organized baseball from 5 to 22. Many great baseball fans in iowa. Went to all three games this weekend with my cousin from Iowa and his twin 14 yr old boys. We had a blast except for friday of course. Go Sox and Go hawkeyes.
Well then i would like my previous statement strickin from the record. However hawkeyes suck, go boilers!!

bahn1225
06-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Okay here's the problem:

In Iowa, every scubs game is on TV and it has been that way for 25 years.
The SOX are on now but they have moved around on the dial.

In Iowa, it seems that every local radio station carries the scubs in addition to the powerhouse, WGN. You can not escape them.
The SOX have the worst radio group in the midwest and their "flagship" barely makes it out of state (please White Sox organization sign with 670am).

In Iowa, almost every local newspaper gets its sport coverage from the Tribune. Need I say more?

Every year the "Cubs Caravan" goes through the state drumming up support.
The SOX do nothing.

For these reasons and more charter bus companies sell out quickly for multiple trips to the urnial
yet can't even fill one bus to the south side.

The state of Iowa has the same population as the city of Chicago.
We are no dumber or smarter than anyone else.

However, when you've been spoon fed from birth on vanilla ice cream;
and then suddenly find yourself in Baskin-Robbins,
is it any wonder so many people select plain old vanilla?