PDA

View Full Version : Time to break a trend...

Philo-Sox-er
06-28-2004, 10:44 AM
This from Gammons' article today:

Question. How many times has a starter picked up in season helped his team win the World Series?

Answer. Tom Zachary was picked up on waivers from the Washington Senators in August, 1928 by the New York Yankees (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy). In October of that year, he won a start for the Yankees in the World Series.

Since then only one pitcher has been traded in season to a World Series winner and also won a World Series start for his new team. That was Mike Torrez, who was traded to the Yankees from Oakland April 27th, 1977. He went on to win two games of the 1977 Series including a complete game clincher in game six. Oakland was 11-7 at the time of the trade.

(Courtesy of Robert Tresca, Newton, Mass.)
Let's hope Garcia disobeys the stat gods!

GoSox2K3
06-28-2004, 11:00 AM
That Gammons comment sounds misleading. He's saying that only once since 1928 has a team acquired a starter who went on to record the win in a game in that year's WS.

That's not the same as saying that no team except the 77 Yanks that ever acquired a starter in mid-season ever made it to the WS or ever won the WS.

:boston Everyone in Chicago should be rooting for the Cubs. The White Sox should be contracted.

Philo-Sox-er
06-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Right, I understood what he was saying. I just hope that should we make it to the Series, that Garcia wins a game or games and bucks this trend. I think he could win us some big games!

harwar
06-28-2004, 11:10 AM
I don't know how mnay times i've seen a team pick up a pitcher only to have him pitch in big games in the post-season..ala cone(yankees/mets) & morris (toronto/twins)

Maximo
06-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Right, I understood what he was saying. I just hope that should we make it to the Series, that Garcia wins a game or games and bucks this trend. I think he could win us some big games!
Let's see.....Freddy Garcia in/ Jon Rauch......Dan Wright....Felipe Diaz....fill in the blank, out. Yeah......I think he could win some big games, too.

Irishsox1
06-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Stats are for losers, Gammons is a Red Sox fan and the Red Sox are losers, therefore Gammons is a stat loser.

Philo-Sox-er
06-28-2004, 11:57 AM
That is funny Irish.

I wonder if Gammons would have put that statistic in if the Red Sox had gotten Garcia?...hmmm....

fquaye149
06-28-2004, 01:26 PM
i wonder if that stat's even true. i would be dollars to donuts it's not

:boston
"a white sox fifth starter hasn't won a game since 1917. wait, maybe i got that wrong. aw, who cares? i have zero accountability for any of my claims."

jeremyb1
06-28-2004, 02:14 PM
I don't know how mnay times i've seen a team pick up a pitcher only to have him pitch in big games in the post-season..ala cone(yankees/mets) & morris (toronto/twins)

Most blockbuster deadline deals do NOT lead to World Series birthes if you think about it. There are several made every season and not every team will win the World Series. Is everyone as convinced the 'Stros are going to make the series? Because they just picked up a better player than we did. They also picked up Randy Johnson one season (giving up Carlos Guillen and Garcia) and didn't make it out of the first round. I'm guessing they'd take that one back if possible.

The best case scenario is that Garcia is lights out and propells us to the playoffs and then pitches two complete game shutouts in the first round and we therefore win those two games. We all know that's not going to happen so there's a lot of variability there. Even IF that were to happen we still have to win one of the remaining three games. It's entirely possible however that he'll pitch the first game and win and we'll lose the next three, he'll give up one or two runs and the pen will blow it, he'll give up one or two runs and we'll get shut out by Vazquez (who's shut us down already this season), Pedro, or Mulder. There's so much capable of happening in a five game series that even if Garcia pitches twice and pitches well it might not mean anything.