PDA

View Full Version : Shortstop Next Year

34 Inch Stick
06-28-2004, 10:37 AM
As odd as it would have seemed at the beginning of the season I think the Sox best option for next year is a return to Jose. Willie and Uribe looked incredible earlier however they both seemed to have returned to their normal, serviceable selves.

kevingrt
06-28-2004, 10:39 AM
See how everything plays out till the end of the year. You got Juan or Jose, one will show they can play SS next year. The postition doesn't really worry me for a couple years at least. How long is Uribe's contract though?

fledgedrallycap
06-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Jose will not be pushed out of town. He probably won't get the 5/6 million he's making now, but a two-year deal with maybe an option would be alright. Whether anyone likes to admit it or not, he is a very important facet of our team and clubhouse, Ozzie, KW, and JR love him; my guess is he'll be back at the right price or unless they have someone else targeted for the long-term.

mantis1212
06-28-2004, 10:50 AM
This is interesting. Jose is not a popular player on this site, but you can't ignore the fact that he gets a LOT of BIG-TIME hits. He's the only real lefty threat in our lineup. Maybe he's not worth $5M, but I don't want to see Jose go. He is VERY valuable to this club

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Based on Uribe's recent falling back to Earth from a monster April, and the fact that Harris is falling off his May production, the best option may be to re-sign Valentin to play short at a lower salary and platoon Uribe and Harris at 2B. Harris would get more starts, but Uribe also could get ABs by backing up Valentin and Crede, just like this year.

The key would be to get a really good center fielder; ideally a switch-hitter or lefty. Carl Crawford?

itsnotrequired
06-28-2004, 10:58 AM
As far as shortstops in the majors go, Jose is better than most (most HRs for a SS in the AL) and is one of the best leftys on the team. He is also a great bunter.

Let's not forget defense either. Yeah, he had a ton of errors the first few weeks of the season but has been solid since then.

soxtalker
06-28-2004, 11:47 AM
This is interesting. Jose is not a popular player on this site, but ...
I don't think that 's true. Jose has his supporters and detractors on this site, as do most players. He was struggling early this year, both defensively and at the plate, and his potential replacement, Uribe, was doing quite well. That along with his $5M salary shifted a lot of people into the detractor category. He's been doing well lately, and Uribe has struggled a bit. So, I'd say that the sentiment has turned in his favor.

My impression is that the board, in general, has a fairly short-term response to play and moves by the club. Take yesterday's trade as an example. According to the latest poll results, about 20% are against the trade and 80% in favor. Those against it tend to see the loss of long-term potential in Olivo and/or Reed. Those in favor see the near-term value of Garcia. I'm not trying to start the debate here, as it is raging in other threads. But I think that it does reflect the inclinations of WSI members.

Tekijawa
06-28-2004, 11:55 AM
I'd like Renteria

Dan Gelo
06-28-2004, 01:56 PM
As far as shortstops in the majors go, Jose is better than most (most HRs for a SS in the AL) and is one of the best leftys on the team. He is also a great bunter.

Let's not forget defense either. Yeah, he had a ton of errors the first few weeks of the season but has been solid since then.
A great bunter? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah. He also is a great contact hitter who never strikes out. I seem to remember a few dozen bunt attempts that resulted in pop outs to the pitcher or catcher.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-28-2004, 02:08 PM
I'd like Renteria
2 words : Orlando Cabrera

itsnotrequired
06-28-2004, 02:12 PM
A great bunter? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah. He also is a great contact hitter who never strikes out. I seem to remember a few dozen bunt attempts that resulted in pop outs to the pitcher or catcher.
I've seen Jose bunt about 15 times this season and only recall a pop-out a couple of times. I haven't seen every game though so maybe I just got lucky...

So who do you think is the best bunter on the team?

Deadguy
06-28-2004, 04:10 PM
It better be Valentin. The guy is the best clutch hitter on the team.