PDA

View Full Version : If Maggs cannot be resigned.....

OurBitchinMinny
06-28-2004, 01:34 AM
....in the next few weeks, then we have to trade him. Believe me, I hope he is signed, but the fact of the matter is you cannot just let a player of his magnitude walk for nothing. If he doesnt sign now, why the hell would he sign after the season? I doubt reinsdorf would up the ante too much more after the season. I would hate to trade maggs, but imagine what you could get for him. My first choice is to get his name on a dotted line as quickly as possible, but if it cant be done, Im sorry but you cant risk losing him for nothing. I would be real sad, but Im sure we could get some talent back in return. Hopefully a major leaguer or two and possibly a minor league catching prospect since that seems to be our weakest point. Sign him or trade him, but doing neither is not worth the risk

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-28-2004, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't say that the white sox must trade him. Look at the A's, they didn't trade Giambi or Tejeda during their contract year because the A's were in playoff contention. If you're not going to get equal talent that can help you win instantly, I don't see the point if you have a shot at the playoffs. Ortiz and Jones seems pretty fair for ordonez because they're both proven big leaguers. If the sox can only get prospects, let maggs walk at the end of the season and get 2 draft picks instead.

OurBitchinMinny
06-28-2004, 01:50 AM
I'd prefer major league level talent too. And if jones and ortiz are on the table, and maggs doesnt sign soon, I would seriously consider pulling the trigger. I know if maggs walks they would get a draft pick or two, but its definitely not equal value. If that trade goes down you have a rotation of:
Garcia
Buerhle
Ortiz
Loaiza
Garland

Schoenweis goes back to the pen. Dont know what becomes of rauch or diaz. At least one goes to the minors and borchard is your RF. And the CF issue is solved for a few years. Jones may be overpriced, but hes got a lot of talent.

Dan Gelo
06-28-2004, 02:32 AM
What would you think of Kendall and bullpen help for Maggs and Mike Jackson? Would help out the Pirates with their payroll woes. As it was said already, the Pirates are willing to eat some salary to get Kendall's pay off their books. Would help our batting order immensely having a contact hitter. He isn't hitting for much power in PNC, but I'm sure being here would make his power #'s get a little better.