PDA

View Full Version : We may have some mullah now!

gobears1987
06-28-2004, 01:01 AM
With any hopes of resigning Mags and Garcia, the Sox will have to reign in the cash. Well it appears they may be doing that now. Attendance is up 25%. This will help increase the amount of resources KW can spend. The Garcia deal mixed with Mags' return may even cause another increase as more fans will be drawn to a team that is a contender. Go Sox, this is our year.

doublem23
06-28-2004, 01:03 AM
Hopefully... I don't know how much more proof JR needs that a winning product puts butts in the seats, but apparently he has already told KW he can expand the payroll to get some players... We'll see.

gobears1987
06-28-2004, 01:04 AM
If the Sox don't resign Mags, much of the fan base will feel alienated. I would say good odds are Mags will stay. The Sox finally have some money thanks to increased crowds

A. Cavatica
06-28-2004, 07:13 AM
We signed Khomeini?

Hokiesox
06-28-2004, 07:34 AM
We signed Khomeini?Khomeni was an ayatollah. I was worried we signed Omar, and that women would have to show up at the Cell in burkahs.:D:

gobears1987
06-28-2004, 03:14 PM
The Sox are no longer cheap bastards.

iwannago
06-28-2004, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=gobears1987]The Sox are no longer cheap bastards.[/QUOTE

I'm not so sure!

:)

bobj4400
06-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Khomeni was an ayatollah. I was worried we signed Omar, and that women would have to show up at the Cell in burkahs.:D:
Just when some cute ladies start to show up at the Cell, we go and acquire a Mullah. KW is the worst GM in baseball!

lths06
06-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Wheres that one guy who always types posts as if it were Uncle Jerry talking... this thread is a gold mine for him...

BackInBlack
06-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Say the Sox average 5,000 more fans per game this year than they did last year. Say the average ticket costs, oh, I don't know, say $20?

5,000 fans X $20 X 81 games = $8.1 MILLION dollars.

And that doesn't even take into consideration parking, merchandise, and food & drink sales. It's probably safe to say the extra 5,000 fans would equate into at least an additional $10 million in revenue.

Could you imagine if we resigned BOTH Magglio and Freddy? Maybe next year we'll get ANOTHER 4-5,000 fans than THIS year? Didn't Jerry himself say he'd trade all 6 Chicago Bulls World Championship rings for just ONE World Series title?

Cubbiesuck13
06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Hopefully... I don't know how much more proof JR needs that a winning product puts butts in the seats, but apparently he has already told KW he can expand the payroll to get some players... We'll see.

Does anyone else remember when he said it was up to the fans to show up before he started expanding the payroll? Well they gave an inch on the budget (we were over our 'budget' by a few million at the start of the year) and they started winning thus fans started coming to the park slowly and now attendance is up at a nice rate from last year. They made a move and we made a move. They made another move (Garcia) and now it is time for us to make another move. We need to pack the place every home game. If we do that, then the ball is in Jerry's court once again and maybe just maybe he re-signs mags and garcia. maybe even sign a nice mid-level FA to fill a hole somewhere!

does anyone know how long Olivo is in his contract? I hope we get him back somehow in a few years. I like the trade because a SP is more important than a future stud for a catcher but i really hate to see the kid go.

Randar68
06-28-2004, 08:20 PM
With any hopes of resigning Mags and Garcia, the Sox will have to reign in the cash. Well it appears they may be doing that now. Attendance is up 25%. This will help increase the amount of resources KW can spend. The Garcia deal mixed with Mags' return may even cause another increase as more fans will be drawn to a team that is a contender. Go Sox, this is our year.
The White Sox have captured Mullah Omar? That US Government reward for his capture could definitely help us sign a few players or take on the payroll needed to get over the top!

whtsx1959
06-28-2004, 09:28 PM
the sox (jr) pocketed 11mil last year, 2nd to the yankees

Cubbiesuck13
06-28-2004, 09:34 PM
the one thing that i know about JR is that he will NOT risk loosing money. if he makes money and keeps it or makes money and spends it is a different story. i hope more than anything in the world he puts it back into the club. i want all of baseball to hate us more than the yankees because we are willing to spend what it takes. i hate the state of the game right now because of thinking like that but not spending and not competing is not going to help anything.

hose
06-28-2004, 09:38 PM
The White Sox have captured Mullah Omar? That US Government reward for his capture could definitely help us sign a few players or take on the payroll needed to get over the top!

Get Daver to track down this Mullah character.

johnny_mostil
06-28-2004, 09:48 PM
JR doesn't own the Sox, he's a partner in a syndicate and he probably didn't see more than a million of that.

Flight #24
06-28-2004, 09:54 PM
JR doesn't own the Sox, he's a partner in a syndicate and he probably didn't see more than a million of that.Not to mention, that with payroll being like $5mil over budget, and supposedly they're willing to go higher, it looks like at least some of that was saved to be spent this year.

Daver
06-28-2004, 10:03 PM
You got a source to back that up?

I would say it is a little on the low side.