PDA

View Full Version : Rogers: KW 99% sure he can sign Garcia to extention

SoxxoS
06-27-2004, 11:01 PM
For those Tribune registered:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040627rogers,1,3907115.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

I would recommend getting Tribune registered for this article. I can't post the whole thing, but here are some really interesting tidbits:

The White Sox paid a high price to get Garcia, 28, whose 3.20 earned-run average ranks fifth in the American League. But Williams is 99 percent certain he can sign Garcia to a contract extension that keeps him off the free-agent market

But according to sources, Williams decided to do the deal with no assurances when Seattle expressed a willingness to take Triple-A outfielder Jeremy Reed, a career .333 hitter, instead of third baseman Joe Crede.
"Seattle made out very well in this deal," Williams conceded

nitetrain8601
06-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Nice post. thanks for the article.

South Side
06-28-2004, 12:01 AM
"Seattle made out very well in this deal," Williams conceded"

No ****, Kenny... :mad:

Iguana775
06-28-2004, 07:26 AM
would you have rather give up Crede or Reed?? good defensive 3B are harder to find that good OFers. the sox have Borchard, Sweeney, Anderson in the OF but only have newly drafted Fields at 3B. I'd give up Reed over Crede anyday.

harwar
06-28-2004, 07:48 AM
I heard that the deal was ready to go for a while but KW was walking around banging his head against the wall trying to decide how to get garcia without giving up both Olivo & Crede.When the mariners said they would take sweeney,he jumped.

Also,the mariners GM called Brian Cashman at the last minute to give him a chance to counter KWs' offer but the yankee GM said that he just couldn't match what the White Sox were giving.

fquaye149
06-28-2004, 07:58 AM
would you have rather give up Crede or Reed?? good defensive 3B are harder to find that good OFers. the sox have Borchard, Sweeney, Anderson in the OF but only have newly drafted Fields at 3B. I'd give up Reed over Crede anyday.
you forgot that reed is already headed to cooperstown though. they have the plaque carved and everything. you can't really say the same about crede.

jeremy b where are you when i need you?

poorme
06-28-2004, 09:19 AM
on the radio, KW said he made the deal b/c he thought he had "better than a 60%" chance of re-signing him. He admitted the possibility that he doesn't re-sign with the sox. "worth the risk."

Lip Man 1
06-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Keep in mind the Sox also have two other potential free agent starting pitchers in Loazia and Scxhowenweis. There could be major moves and losses this off season in order to rebuild this rotation (again...)

Lip

Iguana775
06-28-2004, 01:12 PM
you forgot that reed is already headed to cooperstown though. they have the plaque carved and everything. you can't really say the same about crede.

jeremy b where are you when i need you?
Oh, my bad!

StepsInSC
06-28-2004, 01:18 PM
I like this, because although I like this trade I think its really only worth it if we can get Garcia longterm. We gave up too much for him to just be a rent-a-player.

Philo-Sox-er
06-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Many times before making a trade like this, the other team will allow their trade partner an opportunity to negotiate an extension before the deal is finally made. I wonder why they didn't do it this time?

gosox41
06-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Keep in mind the Sox also have two other potential free agent starting pitchers in Loazia and Scxhowenweis. There could be major moves and losses this off season in order to rebuild this rotation (again...)

Lip
Schoenweis should be relatively cheap, assuming they do decide to bring him back (which I wouldn't if he pitches as he has of late.)

And Loaiza isn't having anywhere near the season he had last year. If he repeated last year he'd be a $9-10 mill. pitcher. This year he is at $4 mill. The Sox can probably keep him four slightly more then that unless he pitches lights out.

Bob