PDA

View Full Version : Garcia and Long-Term Deal

havelj
06-27-2004, 10:34 PM
I finally found who his agent is via USATODAY.COM. It is NOT Boras.

Peter Greenberg is his agent - let's get a deal done - Reinsdorf loves big, strong guys with good mechanics if he would ever sign a starting pitcher long-term.

Plus - this fits into the Sox marketing by going after a core of latin players.

harwar
06-27-2004, 10:38 PM
The sooner the better i say,also,i doesn't hurt that ozzie and garcia are best friends.

gosox3072
06-27-2004, 11:55 PM
How much money is Garcia goin to demand? Anyone know what hes being paid now?

SEALgep
06-27-2004, 11:57 PM
How much money is Garcia goin to demand? Anyone know what hes being paid now?$6.875 million

jabrch
06-28-2004, 12:00 AM
The day a Garcia deal goes down, I will head over to Grandstand and get me a Garcia jersey. I'd love to have him here for a few years - the prime of his career.

psyclonis
06-28-2004, 12:03 AM
$40 million over 5 years...
That seems about right to me.

nasox
06-28-2004, 12:17 AM
I'd say that is about right, with maybe an option for the 5th year (mutual). I just hope a lot isn't deffered or incentive laden. I can see Freddy getting signed though.

StillMissOzzie
06-28-2004, 01:30 AM
I would be STUNNED if JR authorized a 5 year contract for ANYONE, let alone a pitcher. The $8M per year part sounds reasonable, though, given what Ponson got, which was, IIRC, appx 3 / $22M

SMO

poorme
06-28-2004, 09:25 AM
If Garcia continues to pitch well this year, he's going to command way more than $8 mil/ year. I'd guess 5 years, $12 mil per, or even more. JR isn't going to cough up that kind of dough.

kevingrt
06-28-2004, 09:34 AM
If we get a long-term deal done with Garcia, this trade should probably end up very even for both teams, barring injuries. This trade is looking better each and every hour.

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2004, 10:16 AM
I'm glad the Sox got a really good starting pitcher. I would have preferred that they not mortgage the future by trading Olivo and Reed, but I understand the reasoning behind trying to win now.

Regarding the long-term, however: Even if they do sign Garcia long-term, will JR authorize KW to spend the money to re-sign Loaiza? If Garcia stays but Loaiza leaves, will this deal have improved the rotation for the long term?

Philo-Sox-er
06-28-2004, 10:20 AM
If they sign Garcia long-term, do you think it helps or hurts the possibility of signing Maggs? Another fellow Venezuelan might help convince Maggs to stay, but will we have the money?

Flight #24
06-28-2004, 10:21 AM
If Garcia continues to pitch well this year, he's going to command way more than $8 mil/ year. I'd guess 5 years, $12 mil per, or even more. JR isn't going to cough up that kind of dough.
Given the Ozzie-Freddy relationship, I'd be VERY surprised if KW did not ahve a pretty good idea of Freddy's asking price prior to making this deal. The Trib has him at "99%sure" they can resign him.

And as for the Freddy v. E-Lo point - gettign Freddy at 8-10/yr doesn't actually impact payroll that much given the loss of Koch's $6m, and a likely reduction in Valentin's salary by $2-5mil ($5 if we let him go, but IMO we'll keep him at $2-3mil). So we gain like $2mil with Freddy. With increased attendance/revenues, and JR's history of putting that onto the field, Keeping bothFreddy AND E-Lo is not farfetched.

depy48
06-28-2004, 11:30 AM
If they sign Garcia long-term, do you think it helps or hurts the possibility of signing Maggs? Another fellow Venezuelan might help convince Maggs to stay, but will we have the money?
helps, makes the sox look like they're trying to be more competitive, and willing to spend money,

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2004, 12:29 PM
And as for the Freddy v. E-Lo point - gettign Freddy at 8-10/yr doesn't actually impact payroll that much given the loss of Koch's $6m, and a likely reduction in Valentin's salary by $2-5mil ($5 if we let him go, but IMO we'll keep him at $2-3mil). So we gain like $2mil with Freddy. With increased attendance/revenues, and JR's history of putting that onto the field, Keeping bothFreddy AND E-Lo is not farfetched.

I had forgotten about getting rid of Koch's dead-weight salary. In that respect, this looks better.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2004, 12:37 PM
As a member of the media told me on the phone this morning, the Sox are going to try to sign him sooner rather then later. Every day they can't get a deal done increases the risk he won't be back especially if he does well.

This person also told me that Garcia and Ozzie are so close that when the Sox were in Seattle, Ozzie's kids stayed at Freddy's house!

This person thinks that friendship will help but in the end a player takes the best deal and that's something everyone needs to remember. garcia will have some major suitors after the season.

Lip

Philo-Sox-er
06-28-2004, 12:41 PM
I think they need to get a deal done with him before the season is over. If he hits the free agent market, the bidding war might put us out of it; whereas now his close proximity to Ozzie and, hopefully, being on a winning, playoff bound team will persuade him to sign a deal now with the Sox.

34 Inch Stick
06-28-2004, 12:42 PM
- Reinsdorf loves big, strong mechanics .
And who could blame him!

Flight #24
06-28-2004, 12:44 PM
As a member of the media told me on the phone this morning, the Sox are going to try to sign him sooner rather then later. Every day they can't get a deal done increases the risk he won't be back especially if he does well.

This person also told me that Garcia and Ozzie are so close that when the Sox were in Seattle, Ozzie's kids stayed at Freddy's house!

This person thinks that friendship will help but in the end a player takes the best deal and that's something everyone needs to remember. garcia will have some major suitors after the season.

Lip
Lip - have you seen any estiamtes on what resigning him will cost? I know he's right about 7mil now, is 8 a good number? 10? 12?

Flight #24
06-28-2004, 12:51 PM
By the way, doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, but here's a comment from Rick Sutcliffe in his ESPN chat today

chicago: are the whitesox your AL favorites now thyat garcia has joined, and are the whitesox done dealing or do you see them being more active?

http://espn.go.com/editors/chat/img/espn.gifRick Sutcliffe: I think the dealing that they will do now is to extend Freddy Garcia. We talked about this even in spring training this year, that Garcia would be with the White Sox no later than next year. I was playing golf in Florida with my Nike buddies and we saw Ozzie Igiene and Freddy out playing by themselves. In the papers today, Seattle says the door is open for him to come back but I think they knew all along that he wanted to go play for his buddy. I don't agree with everything that has gone on, I don't agree with all of the work stoppages in baseball -- I baically retired b/c I was frustrated after the strike of '94 -- but the one thing that I do believe in is free agency. When you spend all that time that you do in the minors and then you spend 6 full years with a team in the bigs, I think you DO have a right to determine where you play. I think arbitration and things like that are moreso the reason for escalating salaries -- moreso than free agency. So I'm happy for Freddy. He deserves the opportunity to do that. Now does that mean he takes 50% of his market value to play for Ozzie? No. But it should give us a bit of a discount and some advantage.

On an unrelated note: Am I the only one who thinks Sutcliffe should spell his first name with a "P"?