PDA

View Full Version : Check this out

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2001, 01:00 AM
From Bill Jauss writing in Sully's place at the Trib...

Durham factor: As Ray Durham goes, so go the White Sox. In the sweep of the Royals, the veteran second baseman and leadoff man went 5-for-13, walked twice, hit two doubles and two triples and scored six runs, two in each game.

The Sox have played .606 baseball (43-28) this season in games when Durham reaches base twice or more. The club's record is 24-42 in games when Durham fails to reach base or reaches only once.

"When Ray has his lulls, we seem to follow the same pattern," said Manuel. "[Hitting coach] Gary Ward is trying to get him to make a strong push toward the end of the season."

I was encouraged right up to the part about Durham working with Ward. Maybe he's still preaching going to the opposite field?

dimaisback
09-24-2001, 01:06 AM
I was encouraged right up to the part about Durham working with Ward. Maybe he's still preaching going to the opposite field?

This "preaching" is as common as a 4th grade teacher saying, "do your best" to the students./

Iguana775
09-24-2001, 08:56 AM
if durham can actually learn to slap the ball around instead of trying to kill it, i think he could have about a .330 average with a .400 obp. but he get Willie-Mayes Hayes syndrom and tries to hit one out at ever AB.

LongDistanceFan
09-24-2001, 09:28 AM
so much for trading him i guess.

Procol Harum
09-24-2001, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
so much for trading him i guess.

May it never be so, LDF--this team can never get to the next level with this guy in the lead off spot swinging for the fences, booting routine plays in the field, and constantly making boneheaded decisions on the basepaths. Trade him!

LongDistanceFan
09-24-2001, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

Trade him! i am for that........

Paulwny
09-24-2001, 01:59 PM
The new strike zone has killed Ray. He can't catch-up to high strikes. Trade him while he still has some value, his best years are over.