PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal Bit on Maggs/Atlanta Potential

havelj
06-27-2004, 09:21 PM
From Ken Rosenthal of Sporting News:
The Braves indeed inquired about White Sox outfielder Magglio Ordonez, but now that the Sox have landed Freddy Garcia, Chicago doesn't need Braves righthander Russ Ortiz. A straight-up Ordonez-for-Andruw Jones deal would not interest the Sox unless the Braves paid a portion of the $39 million that Jones is owed over the next three seasons. Jones, 27, appears in decline offensively, and the Sox can find better ways to spend $13 million per season. The Braves could move J.D. Drew to center if they acquired Ordonez. Another, perhaps more likely, option would be for them to flip Ordonez to another club. Both Ordonez and Drew will be free agents at the end of the season. . . .

I trust this writer more than anyone else. I once emailed him a question during the work week and he replied to me in less than ten minutes. He's on top of it.

Philo-Sox-er
06-27-2004, 09:26 PM
How about if the Braves throw in J. Estrada?

eurotrash35
06-27-2004, 09:27 PM
I thought Ortiz was mentioned as well?

SoxxoS
06-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Just because we acquired Garcia doesn't mean Ortiz wouldn't work well in the rotation...

Garcia
Buerhle
Loiaza
Ortiz
Garland/Show

Not to mention one more hot hand (remember Josh Beckett) to have in a playoff scenario.

StepsInSC
06-27-2004, 09:41 PM
How about if the Braves throw in J. Estrada?
Can't imagine them getting rid of him though.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Williams is still trying to acquire more pitching.

Lip

HomeFish
06-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Good. We do need Ortiz.

Buehrle, Loaiza, Garcia, Ortiz, Diaz, with Garland and eventually Shoey in long relief.

beckett21
06-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Any word as to if Smoltz may be part of this? I realize it is purely speculation at this point.

bluestar
06-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Any word as to if Smoltz may be part of this? I realize it is purely speculation at this point.
WSB in Atlanta says it is Ortiz, Jones and Cruz for Ordonez and "pitching prospects." They said prior to the Braves game today that the deal could be finalized this week. Of course, that was before the Garcia deal was done with the Mariners.

Flight #24
06-27-2004, 10:08 PM
WSB in Atlanta says it is Ortiz, Jones and Cruz for Ordonez and "pitching prospects." They said prior to the Braves game today that the deal could be finalized this week. Of course, that was before the Garcia deal was done with the Mariners.
You know what - as much as I like maggs, I think I might do that deal. We'd instantly be a VERY good defensive team, with a top-notch rotation and a strong pen (assuming Marte's not in the deal).

I hate to lose Maggs, but Jones, while hitting for a lower average, should be a strong force in our lineup. I'd expect him to get back to .270 and hit 35HR while playing gold glove caliber D.

If we can get Estrada in it.....no brainer.

Jones+Estrada+Cruz for Maggs+Rauch?

TomParrish79
06-27-2004, 10:11 PM
I'm all for this deal, with Estrada in it or not.I dont care what anyone says, you can never have too much pitching.

Hondo
06-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Question. I didn't know which of the many threads to pose it on.

Not being sarcastic just honestly wondering,

When is the last time a team has traded it's best player at the trading deadline and won a world series??

Brian26
06-27-2004, 10:14 PM
Any word as to if Smoltz may be part of this? I realize it is purely speculation at this point.Smoltz has stated publically often, and as recently as 2 weeks ago, that he would really prefer to end his career in a Braves uni. I don't think he's going anywhere. 99% sure he has a no-trade clause too...doubt he would want to come here.

Brian26
06-27-2004, 10:17 PM
When is the last time a team has traded it's best player at the trading deadline and won a world series??
Great question, actually. I can't remember a case.

HomeFish
06-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Isn't Atlanta the club that refuses to grant no-trade clauses?

Flight #24
06-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Smoltz has stated publically often, and as recently as 2 weeks ago, that he would really prefer to end his career in a Braves uni. I don't think he's going anywhere. 99% sure he has a no-trade clause too...doubt he would want to come here.
While I don't doubt that that's John's desire, a lot of guys say this and then when presented the opportunity to go to an aggressive, talented team that they think has a real shot to win the WS - they do it.

Sox with Garcia (and if it's true - possibly Kendall before too long), would be such a team IMO. Even if they lose Maggs and gain Andruw.

illinibk
06-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Isn't Atlanta the club that refuses to grant no-trade clauses?
For Smoltz it doesn't matter. He has to agree to a trade since he is one of those 10 and 5 players.

harwar
06-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Has anyone seen Andrew Jones play lately?
He is a mere shadow compared to Maggs offensively.And his style is playing shallow(he hates playing deep),if he tries that in the cell where the ball now carries very well he'll be chasing balls all game.

StepsInSC
06-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Ortiz AND Jones AND Cruz?? I thought it was just Jones OR Ortiz.

That's a no brainer IMHO.