PDA

View Full Version : Konerko More Likely Than Thomas?

RKMeibalane
06-27-2004, 07:45 PM
In light of what's happened over the past week, and Joe Torre's apparent lack of respect for Frank Thomas, does anyone else besides me think it's possible that Paul Konerko might actually be selected instead of Frank? Konerko is having a great year, and I think he deserves consideration for the All Star Game. That said, what do the rest of you think about this situation? There isn't enough room on the team for both players, and both deserve to be there.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Well, I'd be sad if they took Konerko over Thomas unless PK tears it up like he did against the cubs for the next few weeks leading to the ASG. I think it was a joke that Thomas wasn't at the ASG last year so I want to see him there this year. Either way, I hope if one of the two make it they're in the home run derby. Both of them have put up shows at the home run derby in the past.

compy75
06-27-2004, 07:49 PM
At this point based on the complete disregard by baseball insiders of OPS, Konerko seems a clear cut choice and unless Frank goes on a binge I expect PK to be the AS rep. My main reason is that the ballot goes out to the players and managers this week for the backups to be selected. Additionally, Frank's DH spot keeps him for many to be considered a 1B.

In the end, with Beltran gone, I expect Harvey to be the Royals rep and heck Tino might be the Rays. Looks bad for Frank barring a 3 HR game.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2004, 07:53 PM
At this point based on the complete disregard by baseball insiders of OPS, Konerko seems a clear cut choice and unless Frank goes on a binge I expect PK to be the AS rep. My main reason is that the ballot goes out to the players and managers this week for the backups to be selected. Additionally, Frank's DH spot keeps him for many to be considered a 1B.

In the end, with Beltran gone, I expect Harvey to be the Royals rep and heck Tino might be the Rays. Looks bad for Frank barring a 3 HR game.
I agree. Frank has cooled off somewhat in the last week or so, just like he did last season. I think he may be shooting himself in the foot. Oh, well. I guess the MVP will have to do.

:hurt

(singing) "You can't always get what you want..."

Paulwny
06-27-2004, 07:56 PM
In light of what's happened over the past week, and Joe Torre's apparent lack of respect for Frank Thomas, does anyone else besides me think it's possible that Paul Konerko might actually be selected instead of Frank? Konerko is having a great year, and I think he deserves consideration for the All Star Game. That said, what do the rest of you think about this situation? There isn't enough room on the team for both players, and both deserve to be there.I think you may be wrong about Torre's lack of respect for Frank. I heard this a number of years ago, Torre told his pitchers, ~ don't allow Thomas to beat us, see if Ventura can. Of course this may not be true today.

Daver
06-27-2004, 08:14 PM
I think you may be wrong about Torre's respect for Frank. I heard this a number of years ago, Torre told his pitchers, ~ don't allow Thomas to beat us, see if Ventura can. Of course this may not be true today.
Joe Torre has a tremendous amount of respect for Frank, and always has, you can find quotes from the late 90's to back that up.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Joe Torre has a tremendous amount of respect for Frank, and always has, you can find quotes from the late 90's to back that up.
I'll believe it when I see it.