PDA

View Full Version : The Miguel Olivo Era- 2002-2004

RKMeibalane
06-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Today marked Miguel Olivo's final game as a member of the Chicago White Sox. He has been included as part of a package to bring Freddy Garcia to Chicago, in order to solidify the Sox starting rotation. However, it's unfortunate that Garcia's arrival has cost the Sox their catcher, a man whom many feel will eventually become the best catcher in the American League.

Thanks for the memories, Miguel! Good luck in Seattle!

TaylorStSox
06-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Today marked Miguel Olivo's final game as a member of the Chicago White Sox. He has been included as part of a package to bring Freddy Garcia to Chicago, in order to solidify the Sox starting rotation. However, it's unfortunate that Garcia's arrival has cost the Sox their catcher, a man whom many feel will eventually become the best catcher in the American League.

Thanks for the memories, Miguel! Good luck in Seattle!
HORRIBLE

SEALgep
06-27-2004, 05:28 PM
We very well may regret this, but a WS cures all. We better really make a push. No screwing it up now. Let's full out go for it.

doublem23
06-27-2004, 05:28 PM
I agree. I hope Miguel has all the success in the world in Seattle. Thanks for Freddy Garcia, too.

bafiarocks03
06-27-2004, 05:34 PM
yes...i know we needed some kind of pitcher.....by why Miguel Olivo.........i love him!!!! and why seattle.....thats all the way across the contry!!!!......this is bad KW bad!!!!!!! I want my olivo back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(: :angry: :(: :angry: :(: :(:

white sox bill
06-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Goodbye Miggy, we hardly knew ye!

Philo-Sox-er
06-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Miguel was a good catcher for the Sox. I was looking forward to seeing improve over the next few seasons and help us win it all...

Kadafi311
06-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Although it saddens me to lose Olivo, who I also believe will certainly become an Ivan Rodriguez calibur catcher in the next few years, someone had to go in order to obtain another quality starter... gotta give to get.

Best of luck to Mo, welcome FG! :smile:

kevingrt
06-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Why Miguel... I luve Miguel we need him back! He left with a bang too

Soxfest
06-27-2004, 06:10 PM
I wish him all the success against every other mlb team.

Hokiesox
06-27-2004, 06:30 PM
My Mariner's friend called me to let me know. He was happy, and thinking he got the best of the trade. I fear he may be right. DAMMIT! He thinks FG may go straight back to Seattle, or on to NY at the end of the season, while we end up with Ben Davis. Ben freaking Davis?!? Ugh. Down with Scott Boras!

Foulke You
06-27-2004, 06:41 PM
I liked Miguel, but I'm ecstatic that KW pulled off this deal. We're ok at catcher with Burke and Alomar for now. Remember, Miggy wasn't exactly our everyday catcher. Since Burke's arrival, he was only playing 2 of every 5 games. I like Olivo though and wish him the best.

Since this is a thread in honor of Miguel, I offer up a vote for the grand slam against the Cubs last year at Wrigley as my fondest memory of Olivo.

the_valenstache
06-27-2004, 06:44 PM
HORRIBLE
I guess someone made the mistake of accepting the fact that the trade has happened and already moved on to thinking about the POSITIVES of the deal, which there are many.

Good luck Big Mo.

SoxxoS
06-27-2004, 06:46 PM
I liked Miguel too, but with that good CATCHER speed, he was an awful baserunner.

TaylorStSox
06-27-2004, 06:49 PM
I guess someone made the mistake of accepting the fact that the trade has happened and already moved on to thinking about the POSITIVES of the deal, which there are many.

Good luck Big Mo.
I'm sorry bro. I just don't see Garcia as the answer. He certainly doesn't get us over the hump. He may help us get to the playoff's but not the WS. I've never been a big Garcia fan and I'm not now.

I think the trade hurts us somewhat this season. Alomar's health is always a major concern. Burke is lucky to even get a day long call up.

Ben Davis, while being decent defensively, is an atrocious hitter. His defense really doesn't make up for it.

valposoxfan
06-27-2004, 06:49 PM

Good luck Big Mo.
I am one of those who likes this trade. That said, Miguel will be sorely missed as someone who was well liked in the clubhouse and was respected on the field. It was a pleasure to see him play his final game for the Chicago White Sox in person. The point is though, is we needed a pitcher who is proven effective in the league. In case you forgot, we are down to three legitimate starters at this point. If you didn't think the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc., were going to have to give up names as well, you are sadly mistaken. You complain about needing pitching, then we get it, and you complain again.

You will be missed Miguel. Good Luck. Do well. It was a pleasure to be able to watch you mature into a good major league baseball player.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Miguel your grand slam at Wrigley on ESPN last year will always be remembered fondly.

Lip

MRKARNO
06-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Miguel was very good for us and I hope he will continue to have sucess in his career. It seems that our pitching staff as a whole was not comfortable having him catch four out of five days. Miguel was riding the pine half of the time anyways in favor of Alomar, so it made some sense. If we are so desperate, Jason Varitek will be on the FA market, but thank you for the Grand Slam Miguel and everything else you have done for us in your two-three years with this organization

Nick@Nite
06-27-2004, 09:42 PM
... good luck to you big fella. Hate to see you go, but thanks for the good work. :gulp:

Nellie Comiskey
06-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Miguel was the first Sox catcher I was pretty comfortable with since Fisk. I am happy he had a major hand in today's victory before his departure. Good luck....he is a class on and off the field. Good luck in Seattle.:cool:

maurice
06-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Good luck, Miguel.

I'll be checking up on you in the box scores.

hawkjt
06-28-2004, 03:05 PM
Miguel was a stone cold stud and I loved watching him. He had all the tools altho he had backslid on his hands behind the plate this year. Throwing was erratic this year also. Still loved that short stroke of his at the plate. Good luck MO and hopefully you might be back in the sox uni someday.

Jurr
06-28-2004, 03:40 PM
My girlfriend cried 2 hours yesterday about this, and she doesn't cry.

Rocky Soprano
06-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Best of luck to Mo! We will miss you! :whiner: