PDA

View Full Version : Sox / ESPN Classic

Lip Man 1
06-27-2004, 01:16 PM
On Monday June 28th at 2 PM Chicago time ESPN Classic is showing the Cubs / Sox game from June 9, 2000 won by the Sox 6-5 in 14 innings.

Be warned though, for some stupid reason, ESPN Classic is now running that obnoxious 'crawl' on the bottom of the screen showing 'useful' things like that nights pitching matchups over and over and over and over for two hours.

I wanted to tape this game for the collection, but not now. Looks like my days of taping ESPN Classic are over.

Lip

RKMeibalane
06-27-2004, 01:24 PM
On Monday June 28th at 2 PM Chicago time ESPN Classic is showing the Cubs / Sox game from June 9, 2000 won by the Sox 6-5 in 14 innings.

Be warned though, for some stupid reason, ESPN Classic is now running that obnoxious 'crawl' on the bottom of the screen showing 'useful' things like that nights pitching matchups over and over and over and over for two hours.

I wanted to tape this game for the collection, but not now. Looks like my days of taping ESPN Classic are over.

Lip
I remember this game. Frank hit a bomb off of Jon Lieber that brought the house down. I think Sosa struck out five times, though he too homered during the game.

This was still before Jerry Manuel resorted to tinkering with the lineup and mishandling players. The Sox were the best team in baseball in 2000. It's a shame they weren't able to show that in the post-season.

Ah, the memories of days gone by...

Deadguy
06-27-2004, 02:00 PM
I remember this game. Frank hit a bomb off of Jon Lieber that brought the house down. I think Sosa struck out five times, though he too homered during the game.

This was still before Jerry Manuel resorted to tinkering with the lineup and mishandling players. The Sox were the best team in baseball in 2000. It's a shame they weren't able to show that in the post-season.

Ah, the memories of days gone by...
Wasn't this the game that Sosa hit the 2 run, game tying homer in the 9th inning off of Keith Foulke?

I remember listening to this game on the radio, and when Sosa hit his homerun, the announcers were going ballistic and it sounded like it brought the house down. Must have been a lot of Cub fans in attendance that night.

I think Ray Durham got the game winning hit, though.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Wasn't this the game that Sosa hit the 2 run, game tying homer in the 9th inning off of Keith Foulke?

I remember listening to this game on the radio, and when Sosa hit his homerun, the announcers were going ballistic and it sounded like it brought the house down. Must have been a lot of Cub fans in attendance that night.

Yes, Durham did get the game-winning hit.

Brian26
06-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Yes, Durham did get the game-winning hit.
I can still see the Milkman lumbering around third to score the winning run. Great game.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Sounded like a fun way to spend a few hours tomorrow but insight here doesn't carry ESPNC like comcast did when i used to live in schaumburg! I still remember that game so I don't really need to watch it.

doublem23
06-27-2004, 04:45 PM
You can't watch ESPN Classic because of the crawl? :?:

Brian26
06-27-2004, 04:58 PM
You can't watch ESPN Classic because of the crawl? :?:
Talking about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2004, 07:59 PM
From my original post: "I wanted to tape this game for the collection."

Reading is a lost art isn't it?

Lip

HomeFish
06-27-2004, 08:11 PM
That game was win #2 out of the 4 Sox wins vs the accursed ones that I have been to. Classic stuff.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2004, 08:26 PM
From my original post: "I wanted to tape this game for the collection."

Reading is a lost art isn't it?

Lip
How does the crawl ruin your collection?

Daver
06-27-2004, 08:29 PM
How does the crawl ruin your collection?
Perhaps he wants a copy that is untainted by ESPN propoganda?

doublem23
06-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Maybe, but it's not like there are subliminal messages laced in the taping (ESPN IS AWESOME, GIVE ALL YOUR MONEY TO ESPN, MOVE TO BRISTOL, etc.). But I digress. Maybe I'm not a purist enough and don't pine for the days when scoreboards were all manual, players were paid **** money, and you could only catch baseball games on the radio.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Why doesn't he just put some masking tape at the bottom of the TV screen? That should be able to hide the crawl from view. :D:

Lip Man 1
06-27-2004, 09:59 PM
I don't care for it. I find it very distracting as the constant motion distracts you from watching the game. It also causes the picture to be squeezed somewhat in order to fit the garbage in. You know things like 'so and so is hitting .430 in games every Tuesday night' or 'so and so has averaged 300 yards passing on the 3rd Sunday of each month' over and over again on the screen. Real important stuff to a gambler or a fantasy geek, but not to the average fan.

Plus the vast majority of my game tapes (about 400) are basically 'mint.' (and some of the folks here at WSI can vouch for this.) Being in TV a number of years I had access to satellite feeds as far back as the early 80's. I just don't want that crap on my tapes.

It's amazing how cluttered the screen has gotten during the last ten years. I can't find any logical reason for it.

The best quote I ever heard on this came from a friend in the business who said 'they keep making the TV screens bigger then keep putting so much junk on the picture that the net result is you're not seeing more of the game but less trying to look around all that stuff.'

Lip

Soxzilla
06-27-2004, 10:23 PM

Naw, I was at that game and I remember their being quite a majority of Sox fans in attendance compared to cubbie blue fans. That "bringing the house down" was probably either canned, or the collective grumble that all us Sox fans gave as we watched our beloved ones give up the lead in the top of the ninth.

Now, when little ray ray hit that double down the line, then the house literally blew off comiskey. I still remember all hooting and hollering the good guys were given cub fans as we walked down the ramps listening to sweet home chicago.:bandance:

That was best game I've been too:).

Brian26
06-27-2004, 10:26 PM
I still remember all hooting and hollering the good guys were given cub fans as we walked down the ramps listening to sweet home chicago.:bandance:

That was best game I've been too:).
There's no better feeling in sports than walking down the ramps after a big Sox victory.

doublem23
06-27-2004, 10:31 PM
There's no better feeling in sports than walking down the ramps after a big Sox victory.
LOL... I remember in 1999, the first game of the series at Comiskey, after the Sox had swept the Cubs at Wrigley, was the infamous "Shoelace" game when the Cubs' 2B (name escapes me) missed stepping on the bag on what should be a routine double play and Durham came around to score a play or two later.

My brother was there (Cub fan) and we were sitting in the last row of the old Upper Deck. I was hi-fiving people all the way down, singing, and cheering... I think by the time we got to our car, he was crying. I would have felt sad, but he's a Cub fan. :bandance:

whtsx1959
06-27-2004, 10:36 PM
at the 6-5 14 inning game, i was in the upper deck and when they brought in foulke i remember the sign 'foulke the cubs'

vegyrex
06-27-2004, 10:47 PM
If this is the game I'm thinking about you can see Jesse Jackson sitting behind the Sox dugout.

He was really getting into the game. :D:

Brian26
06-27-2004, 10:55 PM
If this is the game I'm thinking about you can see Jesse Jackson sitting behind the Sox dugout.

He was really getting into the game. :D:
I remember that. He was munching on popcorn the entire time, too. He actually was in those seats several times during the 2000 season.

whtsx1959
06-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Now, when little ray ray hit that double down the line, then the house literally blew off comiskey. I still remember all hooting and hollering the good guys were given cub fans as we walked down the ramps listening to sweet home chicago.:bandance:

That was best game I've been too:).best cub/sox game was the next year when C. Lee hit a walk-off grandslam in tenth (david wells threw out his back in the beginning of the game)