PDA

View Full Version : Magglio Ordonez can put the Andruw Jones trade talks to bed - RIGHT NOW

jabrch
06-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Come to KW/JR with a reasonable counteroffer. Ask for Garrett Anderson type money instead of Vlad Guerrero type money. If he continues to expect Vlad's money, he is going to have to get it elsewhere.

The ball is in Magglio Ordonez's court.

Brian26
06-27-2004, 11:02 AM
The ball is in Magglio Ordonez's court.
Correction. The ball is in Magglio Ordonez's agent's court.

jabrch
06-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Correction. The ball is in Magglio Ordonez's agent's court.True, but assumedly Magglio can instruct him to take care of business. I assume Magglio, at the end of the day, is in control of his own situation and his agent is merely his negotiator. If Magglio says to get it done for 4/48, it would be done.

Tragg
06-27-2004, 11:08 AM
How much did the Sox offer him?

If the Sox offered him 12MM and he refused, then this is on Magglio. Differences between $12-$14 mill are miniscule when you are making that kind of money- particularly IF you are loyal as you claim.

jabrch
06-27-2004, 11:11 AM
How much did the Sox offer him?

If the Sox offered him 12MM and he refused, then this is on Magglio. Differences between $12-$14 mill are miniscule when you are making that kind of money- particularly IF you are loyal as you claim.
The public doesn't know for sure. And we don't know how much was today's dollars vs deferred money, or what was in "incentive clauses". But I have heard from a friend (who heard from a friend's grandmother's cousin's dog's chewtoy) that he was offered 4/48 and that was not sufficient to get him to skip his FA. That's his right to do - take FA. But the Sox have to do something before then. Letting him walk for 2 draft picks would not be a good move.

Tragg
06-27-2004, 11:14 AM
The public doesn't know for sure. And we don't know how much was today's dollars vs deferred money, or what was in "incentive clauses". But I have heard from a friend (who heard from a friend's grandmother's cousin's dog's chewtoy) that he was offered 4/48 and that was not sufficient to get him to skip his FA. That's his right to do - take FA. But the Sox have to do something before then. Letting him walk for 2 draft picks would not be a good move.
I agree with you (although this particular trade looks particularly unappealing imo).

And it is his right, and it is also my right to criticize him for it and to question the "loyalty"- although I should and will wait to officially do so when I get a better grasp of what he turned down.

JB98
06-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Am I the only one in the world who isn't afraid to let Magglio test the FA waters? What if Magglio is not traded, and we win it all? Do you think he might be willing to take $12 mil a year from the Sox then? Or what if the Sox merely make the playoffs and lose, but gain additional revenue and are able to step up their offer? Or, what if Magglio tests the free-agent market and determines the Sox offer is the best? There's a lot of variables at work here, and it's a mistake to assume Ordonez is gone at the end of the year just because he is refusing to sign an extension now.

I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE AWAY OUR BEST PLAYER FOR OVERRATED ANDRUW JONES AND OVERRATED RUSS ORTIZ.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

jabrch
06-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Am I the only one in the world who isn't afraid to let Magglio test the FA waters? What if Magglio is not traded, and we win it all? Do you think he might be willing to take $12 mil a year from the Sox then? Or what if the Sox merely make the playoffs and lose, but gain additional revenue and are able to step up their offer? Or, what if Magglio tests the free-agent market and determines the Sox offer is the best? There's a lot of variables at work here, and it's a mistake to assume Ordonez is gone at the end of the year just because he is refusing to sign an extension now.

I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE AWAY OUR BEST PLAYER FOR OVERRATED ANDRUW JONES AND OVERRATED RUSS ORTIZ.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Yes, I am afraid to do it. But at the same time - I am afraid NOT to do it. I don't think Jones is really overrated. A GG CF who hits 35HRs and a pitcher who has the stuff to win 20 games. I'll take it. Yes, I am afraid to let Magglio go. But I am not going to let that fear get in my way of making a move to win now if I am KW.

nasox
06-27-2004, 04:07 PM
I know it is easy to say this now, but I truly believe that if I was a MLB player, I would not have an agent. I could handle myself fine.

munchman33
06-27-2004, 07:22 PM
670 has been reporting the problem is the years, not the money. Maggs wants five, we want three. And if we can get Andruw Jones (and his three years at 13) along with a starting pitcher, then I hope Maggs doesn't go to Kenny.