PDA

View Full Version : Who should be our Starting Catcher in 2002?

beausox
09-23-2001, 07:43 PM
Personally, I think Mark Johnson has shown he can hit enough to be a starter at the major league level. Plus he's one of the most patient hitters on the team. I think Paul's speed and the fact that he's cheaper than Sandy makes him our back-up. We should try to trade Alomar, what's the going rate for a catcher with two bad knees?

HootieMcBoob
09-23-2001, 08:07 PM
CJ. We need that stud back...It would also help our young pitchers out thru the year too

And get rid of Alomar, I really don't like that guy.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2001, 08:08 PM
MJ is the best we've got and he is strictly back up material. Alomar can't get on base and he is way too old to even be a "part-time" starter. He's virtually worthless in trade unless the Sox are willing to pay part of his salary.

Trading for an everyday catcher would be nice. If we don't fix at least one of the sinkholes we have at the bottom of the order, I'm afraid we are screwed again next season.

Jerry_Manuel
09-23-2001, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
MJ is the best we've got and he is strictly back up material. Alomar can't get on base and he is way too old to even be a "part-time" starter. He's virtually worthless in trade unless the Sox are willing to pay part of his salary.

Unless he gets hurt in the offseason Alomar will be the starter.

Daver
09-23-2001, 08:38 PM
I think we should consider re-signing Brook Fordyce,he will be available and his prescence in ST will MAKE someone win the job,the fact that I think Brook would win has no substance in this discussion.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2001, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by daver
I think we should consider re-signing Brook Fordyce,he will be available and his prescence in ST will MAKE someone win the job,the fact that I think Brook would win has no substance in this discussion.

Right now, I'm all for conducting J.V. catcher tryouts in Tuscon for nearly anybody who has a pulse. Of course Manuel will probably try to split the baby and continue experimenting right into May. The guy can't help but tinker with things, even when it's detrimental to the team.

Jerry_Manuel
09-23-2001, 08:45 PM
Right now, I'm all for conducting J.V. catcher tryouts in Tuscon for nearly anybody who has a pulse. Of course Manuel will probably try to split the baby and continue experimenting right into May. The guy can't help but tinker with things, even when it's detrimental to the team.

I'm going to keep saying this until I am blue in the face, Alomar is going to be the starter in 2002. Not saying I agree or that it is right but he will.

KempersRS
09-23-2001, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I'm going to keep saying this until I am blue in the face, Alomar is going to be the starter in 2002. Not saying I agree or that it is right but he will.

Sadly, I think you are correct. On a similar note, look for Singleton to start in center and you won't be seeing Crede at 3rd. Its amazing, at about the mid point of this season I said this team is still a good team, but needs to start moving at 3 positions. Catcher, Centerfielder, 3rd Baseman. I suggested to deal Singleton and Herbert and let Crede and Rowand go into next season or pick up some proven vet. We did none of those things...I'll say it again, we are a good team, but we need to tweak some areas, right now we are just standing still instead of moving forward.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2001, 09:05 PM
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but Sandy Alomar sucks. He once was a great catcher. He had one truly phenomenal year. But now he is old, he can't get on base, his knees are too weak to catch, and his offensive production is declining. He also costs too much.

We can do better than Sandy Alomar behind the plate. Trades or free agents, bring them to me!

Jerry_Manuel
09-23-2001, 09:11 PM
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but Sandy Alomar sucks. He once was a great catcher. He had one truly phenomenal year. But now he is old, he can't get on base, his knees are too weak to catch, and his offensive production is declining. He also costs too much.

We can do better than Sandy Alomar behind the plate. Trades or free agents, bring them to me!

George I wasn't saying he should be the starter just saying he will be. We know the Sox are not going to eat his contract and cut him, and he has little to no trade value. So we are stuck with him and at what he is getting paid that is an expensive backup so he has to start. Hey doesn't that sound like someone else...

:hitless
Me making 4.5 million dollars has nothing to do with me starting all the time.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2001, 09:20 PM
We know the Sox are not going to eat his contract and cut him, and he has little to no trade value. So we are stuck with him and at what he is getting paid that is an expensive backup so he has to start. Hey doesn't that sound like someone else...

Can't argue the point.

:hitless + :sandy = 2002 Sox version of :jaime

idseer
09-23-2001, 09:24 PM

why why why WHY OH WHY couldn't they see this last year?

LongDistanceFan
09-23-2001, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by idseer

why why why WHY OH WHY couldn't they see this last year? a majority of us were talking about that last yr. But then again what do we know, all we are is fans, right? Those draft picks we didn't sign may come back and haunt us.

LongDistanceFan
09-23-2001, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
a majority of us were talking about that last yr. But then again what do we know, all we are is fans, right? Those draft picks we didn't sign may come back and haunt us. btw, i remember last yr when the sox screwed MJ for paul, and still MJ has not said a evil word against the sox......... i would've, i think.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2001, 10:58 PM
btw, i remember last yr when the sox screwed MJ for paul, and still MJ has not said a evil word against the sox......... i would've, i think.

I remember Phil Rogers writing a really nasty column about the Sox after Game One of the ALDS for this very reason. I was pissed at the time and felt certain this was yet another example of the Cubune looking for some angle for raining on the Sox parade.

Now I take it all back. That decision by Manuel to put Josh Paul on the playoff roster while leaving Mark Johnson off was the first of some really screwy decisions by our manager that basically have continued unabated for the last 12 months.

Jerry wants a catcher who can pinch run? It was, debatably, the fatal turn of the game when Paul fails to throw out Seattle's basestealer in Game One! As for his baserunning prowess, the less said, the better.

I'm no fan of Phil Rogers, but I take back every bit of whatever mean things I said after that column of his last October.

FarWestChicago
09-23-2001, 11:09 PM
I'm no fan of Phil Rogers, but I take back every bit of whatever mean things I said after that column of his last October. I just can't imagine you saying mean things about a Cubune writer ripping on the Sox. :)

Jerry_Manuel
09-23-2001, 11:13 PM
I'm no fan of Phil Rogers, but I take back every bit of whatever mean things I said after that column of his last October.

:clueless
How about you take back the mean things you said about me after I called Buehrle and the other Sox pitchers overrated phenoms?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2001, 11:18 PM

How about you take back the mean things you said about me after I called Buehrle and the other Sox pitchers overrated phenoms?

That will be a cold day in hell, Skip!

"And the day the Cubs win the pennant!"
:moron

FarWestChicago
09-23-2001, 11:23 PM

How about you take back the mean things you said about me after I called Buehrle and the other Sox pitchers overrated phenoms? Shut up, Skip. You forced me to cancel my newspaper subscription.

Bmr31
09-24-2001, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by daver

youre joking right???

RichieRichAllen
09-24-2001, 12:22 AM

Unless he gets hurt in the offseason Alomar will be the starter.

I think the Sox will have other priorities in the off-season (namely, in packaging several of their DH's in order to obtain a little defense and hopefully, more gamer-type players). So, I agree that Alomar will probably be the starting catcher (until he hurts himself and hits the DL). Hopefully, at that point, a deal can be worked to bring in a short-timer (any catchers out there who will be free agents in '03?) In any event, I think next year might be another year where we pick up a CJ type if (???) we're in contention.

Johnson and Paul are strictly backups unless they prove otherwise.

Another suggestion might be to get Carlton back into a Sox uniform again. Ha Ha! Fooled you! I'm not talking about as a catcher, but rather, as a pitching coach. I think he could not only do a world of good with the young hurlers, but catchers alike. Think about it.

Soxheads
09-24-2001, 02:28 PM
Today, if I had my choice, I would go with Mark Johnson. Of course if I had my choice, some shortstop, who shall not be named, would be playing in a different city.

:hitless "Of course you don't mean me, I'm an offensive and defensive juggernaut!"

:jerry "Of course he dosen't mean you. You, Harold, and Julio are the backbone of our team!

beausox
09-25-2001, 07:15 PM
Let me stress 3 points:

1.I think the thing that puts MJ aahead of Paul and Alomar is his patience at the plate. He, CAnseco (who won't be here next year), and Thomas are the three most patient guys on the team. In the sport in the batting order where our catcher bats, Johnson's ability to get on base via the walk, makes him a useful part of our offense. Paul's speed helps, but he can't steal first base.

2.Migule Olivo is the catcher of the future. we got him for Bradford from Oakland. His arm and footwork ahve been compared to I-Rods and he is young (22?). Because of his potential I don't see the need to sign a CJ or trade for I-Rod I think that money could be spent in better areas.

3.There is a market for Alomar. The Giants could use someone. Santiago is older than Alomar and also a Free agent. Not to mention there back-up is a position player who plays a back-up catcher on the side. Someone will look at Alomar's credentials (Rokkie of the year, AS game MVP) ask us to eat a PORTION of his salary and bite for him. God bless the team that does, aren't the Cubs collectiong bad-hitting, old, overpaid catchers?

LongDistanceFan
09-25-2001, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by beausox
Let me stress 3 points:

1.I think the thing that puts MJ aahead of Paul and Alomar is his patience at the plate. He, CAnseco (who won't be here next year), and Thomas are the three most patient guys on the team. In the sport in the batting order where our catcher bats, Johnson's ability to get on base via the walk, makes him a useful part of our offense. Paul's speed helps, but he can't steal first base.

2.Migule Olivo is the catcher of the future. we got him for Bradford from Oakland. His arm and footwork ahve been compared to I-Rods and he is young (22?). Because of his potential I don't see the need to sign a CJ or trade for I-Rod I think that money could be spent in better areas.

3.There is a market for Alomar. The Giants could use someone. Santiago is older than Alomar and also a Free agent. Not to mention there back-up is a position player who plays a back-up catcher on the side. Someone will look at Alomar's credentials (Rokkie of the year, AS game MVP) ask us to eat a PORTION of his salary and bite for him. God bless the team that does, aren't the Cubs collectiong bad-hitting, old, overpaid catchers?

ref #2 MO is josh paul with a better defense and a stronger arm.. Take the cork out of his bat and he may not be able to hit his weight.

ref #3. i really don't agree with your point here. No matter how good he may have been in the past, its his present ability that teams will see....... and if we, the fans can see this, do you not think the experts can?

Jerry_Manuel
09-25-2001, 07:59 PM
ref #3. i really don't agree with your point here. No matter how good he may have been in the past, its his present ability that teams will see....... and if we, the fans can see this, do you not think the experts can?

LDF remember who the "experts" are:
:lynch&mcfail

LongDistanceFan
09-25-2001, 08:00 PM

LDF remember who the "experts" are:
:lynch&mcfail LMAO!!!! ok you got me........ :) i give up on this.........